A few questions for a new (hopefully) ower

Old August 24th 03, 12:41 AM
Ray Andraka

Default A few questions for a new (hopefully) ower

I have a 1965 Cherokee Six that had the original gyros and scatter shot layout
as well as fuses when I bought it. I used the existing holes but rearranged the
instruments into a T panel when I replaced the gyros with modern units. The
additional cost for moving the other instruments was small compared to the the
price of the gyros, I think it was on the order of $200-300. If the original
holes are not good enough for you, then expect to pay a lot more, as that is no
longer a minor modification.
I replaced the fuses with Klixon circuit breakers under the supervision of my
A&P, which was done with a 337 that also covered adding the wing mounted landing
lights, tip strobes, and a few other things. You'll probably get a better
install on the circuit breakers out of an avionics shop unless you have an A&P
who is really good with the electrical (most don't seem to be).

Tom Nery wrote:

Hi all,

I just signed a P & S on a 1966 Cherokee 180C. Initially I thought it was
tight in the cockpit (I'm about 6'2" and 240lbs) but when I flew it, I fell
in love.

Anyway, I'm assuming the prepurchase inspection will go good and in a couple
of weeks be the proud owner on it. But now on to my questions:

1. Can electric trim be retrofitted (and do I really need it)?

2. Part of the dash (under the front window) is ripped, are there any
suppliers of fitted dash covers?

3. I plan on upgrading the avionics (I think they are circa 1966) and wonder
if I should also replace the panel to a T style (although I had no problem
with the original panel)? If so what is the approx cost?

4. Lastly, can the fuses be replaced by circuit breakers and does this need
be done by an A&P or avionics shop?

That's it for now, but I'm sure in the future there will be many more.

Tom

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old August 24th 03, 03:43 AM

Hi Tom, welcome to the Cherokee club.

1. I don't think you need electric trim, I've certainly never missed it on
my 140. It's also yet another thing to break, freeze, etc. I assume you
have the overhead handle. You'll get used to it.

2. By dash I assume you mean the bit above the instrument panel. You can
find plastic replacement parts at www.planeplastics.com. If you mean one of
the side panels, you can find those at places like www.airtexinteriors.com.

3. & 4. These go together in my mind. Don't know what the cost is to go to
T-style, but most avionics shops will be able to give you an estimate. It's
usually just a matter of cutting a new template. You can go to places like
www.avionicswest.com to look at some custom jobs as well as get a quote.
Your avionics shop can replace the fuses with breakers. While you're at it,
and depending on what you're upgrading to, you'll probably want to get an
avionics master installed, if you don't already have one. If you don't have
an avionics master, then you most likely have all your fuses on a single
bus, while you're getting the fuses converted, you might as well get the bus
split to make adding the avionics master easier.

cheers,
mark

Old August 24th 03, 04:03 AM
Justin Case

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:16:58 GMT, "Tom Nery"
wrote:

Hi all,

I just signed a P & S on a 1966 Cherokee 180C. Initially I thought it was
tight in the cockpit (I'm about 6'2" and 240lbs) but when I flew it, I fell
in love.

Anyway, I'm assuming the prepurchase inspection will go good and in a couple
of weeks be the proud owner on it. But now on to my questions:

1. Can electric trim be retrofitted (and do I really need it)?

Yes. All it takes is money

2. Part of the dash (under the front window) is ripped, are there any
suppliers of fitted dash covers?

Yes. All it takes is money

3. I plan on upgrading the avionics (I think they are circa 1966) and wonder
if I should also replace the panel to a T style (although I had no problem
with the original panel)? If so what is the approx cost?

For the move or for the avionics?

4. Lastly, can the fuses be replaced by circuit breakers and does this need
be done by an A&P or avionics shop?

If you can find an A&P to do it, go that route. Avionics shops think
they're major metropolitan hospitals and charge about the same rates
for the monkey work.

That's it for now, but I'm sure in the future there will be many more.

Tom

If there will be something in the future, you may want to consider an
aircraft a bit more modern.

Old August 24th 03, 09:28 AM
Ben Jackson

In article KBS1b.237076$o%2.108564@sccrnsc02,
Tom Nery wrote:
I just signed a P & S on a 1966 Cherokee 180C. Initially I thought it was
tight in the cockpit (I'm about 6'2" and 240lbs) but when I flew it, I fell
in love.

Two things which won't matter to you because you're in love and
already signed: 1) A Comanche 180 would be roomier, and 2) It's
always cheaper to buy an airplane equipped how you want than to
equip it yourself.

1. Can electric trim be retrofitted (and do I really need it)?

I don't think I would pay to add it, but it's nice. The overhead
trim is nicer for tall people than the Cessna center console trim,
but I never did quite memorize which way to crank. Electric trim
does relieve you of that burden.

3. I plan on upgrading the avionics (I think they are circa 1966) and wonder
if I should also replace the panel to a T style (although I had no problem
with the original panel)? If so what is the approx cost?

A new panel will cost around $1000/side. If you're doing enough other
work at the same time it may not affect the labor that much. Be aware
that putting semi-modern instruments and radios in this plane will
cost far more than it will increase the future resale value of the
plane.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 24th 03, 08:32 PM
Jim Vadek

All I can say is that once you have and airplane, it always costs more $$$
than you think to get all the nice gadgets installed. So, be sure you buy
something you are happy with as it is, or else you might be disappointed in
the end.

Old August 26th 03, 06:53 AM
jeff

my 180 sold 4 days after I listed it. I got back all the money I had put in for
avionics, didnt get back the money for the speed mods, so wasnt out that much.

Old August 26th 03, 06:53 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , jeff writes:

my 180 sold 4 days after I listed it. I got back all the money I had put in
for
avionics, didnt get back the money for the speed mods, so wasnt out that
much.

What avionics did you add? I've added a GNS430 and figure to get no more than
half back.

Chuck
Old August 28th 03, 11:04 PM
jeff

I added Garmin GNS 430 GPS/Com, Garmin GMA 340 audio panel, Garmin GTX 327
transponder, Garmin GI-106a CDI, PS systems CD player, replaced most fuses with
circuit breakers, replaced plastic instrument panel.
there are pictures of it here
http://216.158.136.80/plane/index.html

Everyone had told me I wouldnt get back what I put in it, they were surprised
when it sold so fast for what I was asking. One thing about selling a plane is
that it will sell, to the right person. Some people will spend more to get
everything they want then buying a cheaper plane and putting it all in them
selves.

Old September 2nd 03, 08:05 PM
Marco Leon

Just browsing the For Sale ads tells me that I can get pretty much near or
even above what I had put into the plane. My 1978 Warrior II had a KX-170B
and a KT-76A --that's it. I put in a Garmin 430, Garmin 340 audio panel,
GI-106a CDI, avionics master, Davtron clock and had the KX-170 overhauled.
it came out to $14,000. With a 2000 interior, 8 paintjob and 600-hour FRMN
engine, I think $56,000 is about right and even on the low side given the
ads I see every day.

I could be dreaming but I'm just going by what I see.

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 2nd 03, 08:54 PM
David Megginson

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net writes:

Just browsing the For Sale ads tells me that I can get pretty much near or
even above what I had put into the plane. My 1978 Warrior II had a KX-170B
and a KT-76A --that's it. I put in a Garmin 430, Garmin 340 audio panel,
GI-106a CDI, avionics master, Davtron clock and had the KX-170 overhauled.
it came out to $14,000. With a 2000 interior, 8 paintjob and 600-hour FRMN
engine, I think $56,000 is about right and even on the low side given the
ads I see every day.

I could be dreaming but I'm just going by what I see.

Assuming that you can get $56K for your Warrior right now, what would
the price would have been if you hadn't put in the new avionics?
Given the low-time engine and new interior, I'm guessing that it
wouldn't be $14K less.

If I were buying, I'd probably be willing to add a 3-4K for the Garmin
430, if the installation is approach-certified (I'm guessing that it
is with the CDI). Others might feel differently, of course.

All the best,

David