Coral Sea Med Cruise in the 1970s

Old July 3rd 03, 06:47 AM
John Randolph

Default Coral Sea Med Cruise in the 1970s

Yep, after 1979. I was CIC Officer on Coral Sea from 1976 to 1978 and she
was deployed from NAS Alameda to WestPac.

From: (Tom Cooper)
Date: 5/27/2003 02:33 Pacific Daylight Time

Please take a look at the photo I posted he
http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/l...by_phantom.jpg

Based on the photo, and it's quality ... that's most likely is an F-4N of
VF-154.

The BuNo matches F-4Bs (reworked to N), and the tail color; that solid red

line
matches other published photos very closely of VF-154 F-4s w/ a mix of

black &
a solid red line.

Several other things are su
- I have several excellent shots of the USS Coral Sea off Cannes, in
1983, with F-4s of the VF-21 and VF-154 (and the rest of the CVW-14)
on the deck: they are simply not the same like the Phantoms shown and
described above;

Don't photos you have of VF-154 F-4Ns have a mix of a black tail

(completely or
otherwise), w/ a similar solid red line?

- the Libyans have got their first Tu-22s in 1974, and the remaining
of 14 ordered Tu-22Bs arrived all by 1979. So, the photo couldn't have
been taken before or after that period;

Why couldn't the photo be after 1979? Did the Libyans stop operating the
Tu-22s preior to 1983? I don't think it's clear at all that the photo
represents VF-51 -- given they didn't deploy as CVW-19 on Coral Sea.

This is really confusing...

If in fact the photo is of F-4N 15224x NM10x, then I believe the code's

been
broken. g

Does this help any?

MW
-------------------------------------
"As soon as movement begins, so does the fog of war" - Edward N. Luttwak

Old July 7th 03, 02:56 PM
Legal Tender

Coral sea did 2 west pac's from 1979 thru 1982. I think the next cruise was
the East coast move..
Frank

Propellor Primer Ebby Home Built 3 November 19th 04 11:36 AM
Australia's aquisition of cruise missiles zalzon Military Aviation 21 August 31st 04 09:26 PM
Two Q's: Cruise Clearance, Searchable AIM Geo. Anderson Instrument Flight Rules 6 May 31st 04 08:24 PM
Cruise clearance Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 26 May 22nd 04 04:08 AM
Russian Prewar 212 Cruise Missile robert arndt Military Aviation 0 December 27th 03 05:39 PM