We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Old March 21st 17, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

A literary dumpster fire, so to speak.
Old March 21st 17, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:50:01 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

Is it not a rhetorical question? I believe my club's two PW5s in 1994 or 1995 (which were somewhere in the first five or six serial numbers) cost NZ$25000, or about US$15000.

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

That's US$24000 now, based on US inflation.

I suspect other factors such as the cost of living in Poland might be more relevant -- that looks to me more like a factor of 3.5 since the mid 90s, which would make a PW5 cost $52500 now.
Old March 21st 17, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 19:34:09 UTC+11, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:50:01 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

Is it not a rhetorical question? I believe my club's two PW5s in 1994 or 1995 (which were somewhere in the first five or six serial numbers) cost NZ$25000, or about US$15000.

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

That's US$24000 now, based on US inflation.

I suspect other factors such as the cost of living in Poland might be more relevant -- that looks to me more like a factor of 3.5 since the mid 90s, which would make a PW5 cost $52500 now.

I was surprised to find that a new Perkoz is not far off the cost of a new Duo. The landscape has changed a lot since our club bought its Puchacz (and Junior and Jantar).

Cheers Ben
Old March 21st 17, 10:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Thank you Bruce, thank you.

Yes that's right. According to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com a PW-5 in today's money would be $23,976.

I'll repeat that a second time for clarification $23,976.

And a third time for impact $23,976

I rest my case to all you naysayers who say a glider can't be produced at a reasonable cost!

There it is. An ASW-19 WAS cutting edge on the production line, a PW-5 was NOT! "If" the PW-5 didn't look like a Volkswagen clown car, it would have revolutionized the sport. Perhaps someone should take a aesthetically pleasing 15 meter popular club class glider and replicate it using the same production quality of the PW-5 and sell them.

Here's to hoping a second chance at the great intentions of the PW-5 to someone out there. If we had that, the hopes and dreams of a world class would be a reality, and soaring would be made great again.
Old March 21st 17, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

Well when that glider was produced, the wages in Poland were peanuts. Whilst I am sure that current wages in Poland do not match wages in Germany, clearly the polish businesses worked out that it is useful to set prices closer to those in the west. So the simplistic comparison where the dollar price is inflated by the inflation factor is not accurate. The landscape has changed.

Cheers

Paul

Old March 21st 17, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Here's your chance, Wilbur/Sean. Sell your ASG-29 and buy 10 used PW-5s
and hand them out to deserving individuals and/or clubs. You can ensure
your place in history with that one selfless act!

But, as was said earlier, you can build something ugly or something
pretty (performance, looks, whatever) for the same price, but you won't
build thinner airfoils for the same price. If you could, why weren't
then done in the past? Hint: it wasn't science, it was technology
(theory vs engineering/materials) and the materials to produce the
theory cost more, not to mention the labor.

Is this thing repeating? To paraphrase Einstein: Saying the same thing
over and over again is the definition of insanity. Maybe Sean/Wilbur is
simply trying to drive us all mad and we're taking the bait.

I'm out (I hope).

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 21st 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:36:58 PM UTC+3, chipsoars wrote:
anyone remember Lennie the Lurker?

On 3/21/2017 3:05 AM, wrote:
[...]

Sure. Active about 15 years go. Hated progress of any kind.

Someone claiming to be him posted this in '14:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....M/5wH9FeoVwfkJ
Old March 21st 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-7, chipsoars wrote:
anyone remember Lennie the Lurker?

Nice one, Chip.
A possible way for "Wilbur" or "Lennie" to produce his/her/their cheap gliders...

Use prison labor.
Wages are about ten cents an hour plus the fees paid to the company running the prison. There is no need to provide employee benefits. Wonder if anyone checks that the factory is a safe and healthy place to work? Overrated.
Employees are conveniently housed on site, like Dubai construction workers. Additional fees paid to the prison management might give your best employees incentive to remain with you beyond their original contract period.
With the factories located in the USA you can even use slogans (apparently people fall for them) like: "25% more than a PW5, same low price" "make America great again" "new improved formula", or the one Wal-Mart got busted for using: "made in the USA".
Wilbur/Lennie can be leaders in the new American way!

Diabolical laughter, with lots of reverb...
Jim
Old March 21st 17, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Yes, that was him. The parts he made for the HP-24 project are still working great.