Lot of noise being made about Purple Hearts

Old August 16th 04, 04:37 AM
Billy Preston

"BUFDRVR" wrote
Jeff B wrote:

You're either a masochist or an idiot to be envious of a PH winner.

Are Purple Hearts won?

No, not really they're awarded, but "recipient" or "awardee" were too long and
awkward.

I didn't know it was a competition!

It is; to kill or injure "them" before they can do the same to you.

Jeff B. (making light of one of his pet peeves)

I'm not crazy about the term "winner" being used as well, but it was easier...

There's two medals (and two license plates) I wouldn't want to advertise:

1) A purple heart medal
2) A POW medal

America has a fascination with people who were taken out of the war, and
people who have Air Medals, DFC, Silver Stars, Bronze Stars, etc, are
seen as baby killers, and not something you want them to put on their cars,
or résumé's...

If I was a POW, I sure wouldn't want anyone to know about it! Same with
being shot in the ass (General Patton, etc)...

Old August 16th 04, 04:41 AM
Billy Preston

"ArtKramr" wrote

War is hell.

But very profitable! Our company stock sharing plan is bursting
at the seams! I just got another 150 shares last week. I hope the
Sadr guy keeps it up for another couple of weeks, as I just about
have my farm paid off.

Old August 16th 04, 05:00 AM
Tom Cervo

America has a fascination with people who were taken out of the war, and
people who have Air Medals, DFC, Silver Stars, Bronze Stars, etc, are
seen as baby killers, and not something you want them to put on their cars,
or résumé's...

What country do you live in?

Old August 16th 04, 05:20 AM
Michael Mcneil

"Tom Lacombe" wrote in message

Charlie, Attacking me isn't going to make Bush and Cheney look any
better. I didn't support Clinton as he was a draft dodger, just like
alot of the guys in the present administration. Now tell me what I
lied about. Peace!

At the time Clinton wasn't involved in politics so had no reason to tell
fibs to anyone but himself. Clearly he was unwilling to join the ranks
of those ready to kill for his country or for whatever other reason
people who get trained to kill kill for.

That makes him seem a lot more honest than dubya. Which is saying a lot
if not much.

So why is it so important that a man served in such a capacity as would
make him one of the most eligible for suicide in the history of great
military scandals?

How many Japanese soldiers killed themselves after WWII I wonder. The
statistics are that more US Vietnam Vets topped themselves after the war
than the total number of troops that were died in Vietnam.

Why is that statistic less interesting than what politicians did when
they were young and stupid?

Old August 16th 04, 05:28 AM
Michael Mcneil

"Vince Brannigan" wrote in message

Ed. with all due respect why would a combat injury be necessarily
related to "incompetance" ? People are injured on ships all the itme in
circmstances over which they have no control.

How much respect is due I wonder to a man who thinks becoming the target
of quite a number of well trained gunmen is incompetence?

Or to put it another way. They only send children to war. Older and
wiser people won't go.

Old August 16th 04, 05:37 AM
Billy Preston

"Michael Mcneil" wrote

Or to put it another way. They only send children to war. Older and
wiser people won't go.

Not true. The US Military won't take them.

Old August 16th 04, 10:14 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article
lgate.org, "Michael
Mcneil" wrote:

[...]

The cultural differences make it hard to draw a direct comparison. A
good many mid-level Army GHQ officers planned to commit suicide, but
Army Minister GEN Anami ordered them not to do so, because they were
needed for reconstruction. He told them his seppuku was the responsible
apology to the Throne.