Question to the IFR Pilots Out There

Old November 15th 03, 01:51 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

Default Question to the IFR Pilots Out There

For those of you who have your instrument ticket, how many hours of actual
IMC did you have when you got your ticket.

At approx 40 hours of instrument time I have a 'whopping' .9 hours of ACTUAL
IMC... I sincerely hope I'm going to get to see a lot more before I get my
instrument ticket - which I'm guessing should be around April or May at the
latest.

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old November 15th 03, 01:56 AM
Windecks

Prior to my checkride, 5hrs actual, including half a dozen (missed)
approaches to near 0/0 conditions on the Monterey coast. Get all the actual
dual time you can, both before and after getting the ticket..

.. .

Old November 15th 03, 01:59 AM
C J Campbell

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
.. .
| For those of you who have your instrument ticket, how many hours of actual
| IMC did you have when you got your ticket.
|
| At approx 40 hours of instrument time I have a 'whopping' .9 hours of
ACTUAL
| IMC... I sincerely hope I'm going to get to see a lot more before I get
my
| instrument ticket - which I'm guessing should be around April or May at
the
| latest.

I had 7.4 hours, some of which I got while working on my private pilot
certificate. However, I accumulated some 280 hours while working on
instrument rating.

Old November 15th 03, 02:10 AM
Dan Truesdell

I had about 42 hours of IFR time when I got my ticket. About 5 of those
hours were actual. Easy to do in New England in the spring when I did
most of my training. No approaches in the soup though, but I did find,
on a night training flight after my IFR ticket, that a good hood (I use
the Hood Lam) coupled with night approaches in a relatively dark area
may as well be actual (with the obvious exception of being able to cheat
over the panel and see the approach lights).

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old November 15th 03, 02:22 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
For those of you who have your instrument ticket, how many hours of actual
IMC did you have when you got your ticket.

I'm only at 21.2 dual toward my instrument, and 4.3 is in IMC. In the
Pacific Northwest we should have the opportunity to do a lot of the
remaining work in IMC. I thought I might finish in 40 hours, but I
made the mistake of fixing my ADF, so now I'll have to be able to do
a passable NDB approach.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 15th 03, 02:24 AM
Robert Moore

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote

For those of you who have your instrument ticket, how many hours
of actual IMC did you have when you got your ticket.

"Zero"...same as all the other Naval Aviators designated that
summer in Kingsville, TX. As a confidence building maneuver,
it is probably a nice thing to have for general aviation pilots
whose instrument training is not all that intensive to start
with, but it is not essential to the "learning" process.

Bob Moore
Flight Instructor, Airplanes-Instrument Airplane
Old November 15th 03, 02:29 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

certificate. However, I accumulated some 280 hours while working on
instrument rating.

{me in my best 'Scooby Doo' voice] "Ruh Ro!"

Please tell me that is unique hour total for one reason or another, 'cause I
was kind of figuring (hoping) that I would finish my IR around 60 or 70
hours (I already have both the cross-country and 10+hours of cross-country
towards my instrument rating - I have about 262.8 hours or so, total,,, so
far....)

Old November 15th 03, 02:36 AM
Maule Driver

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
.. .
For those of you who have your instrument ticket, how many hours of actual
IMC did you have when you got your ticket.

Between 2 and 3. They included some approaches but were mostly enroute.

You can't get enough. I think a good thing is, assuming you get your
certificate at the height of personal proficiency, get some actual solo.
The decision process changes and the realities of planning a flight that you
actually fly sinks in. If personal IFR flying is what you intend to do,
developing your personal procedures, decision processes, cockpit
organization, etc is important. I just never really did all that until I
had my ticket. And it's nice to do that solo or only with a
trusted/trusting passenger the first times out.

As far as flying with someone else. I didn't really get the chance to fly
some left seat actual with an experienced pilot other than my CFI. I'm sure
I should. But the couple of flights I did as a passenger with an
experienced pilot were priceless. After doing it myself, then seeing someone
else do it. Just learned so much...

Old November 15th 03, 02:51 AM
john smith

Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
For those of you who have your instrument ticket, how many hours of actual
IMC did you have when you got your ticket.

31.5 hours with 2.8 actual. Of that hours, 11.0 hours were simulator.