Jabiru V Rotax reliability?

Old September 1st 03, 09:46 AM
Joe

Default Jabiru V Rotax reliability?

Looking to buy either a Jabiru or Rotax 4 stroke engine.

RELIABILITY is the most important factor.

Seems like the Jabiru should be better with lower RPM but believe that Rotax
have more engines in service and therefore more development time and hence
reliability.

Any comments welcomed.

Phil

Old September 2nd 03, 07:35 AM
Joe

Thanks Michael, thought being from Australia you would have been a Jabiru
fan.so guess you have had problems with them.

Phil

"Michael Coates" wrote in message
Answer = Buy the Rotax.......

Old September 2nd 03, 03:07 PM
Ian Donaldson

G'day Phil

Buy the Rotax!

I am also in the land of the Jabiru and much prefer the Rotax.

There are a number of reasons, but the Rotax is a well sorted engine with
great technical backup, where as I feel that the Jabiru is still being field
tested with their customers.

There have been many problems with my friends who have Jabs and none with
the Rotax owners.

Regards

Ian

Old September 2nd 03, 04:44 PM
Model Flyer

"Joe" wrote in message
Thanks Michael, thought being from Australia you would have been a

Jabiru
fan.so guess you have had problems with them.

I was talking to the agent for the Eurostar here in Ireland and he
said that many prefere the Rotax option because it's geared it can
turn a larger three bladed prop than the Jabiru. This gives better
take off performance and rate of climb. It also gived the impression
of better flying performance, however that I cannot comment on. Both
are very nice running engines.
--

..
--

Antispam trap in place

Old September 3rd 03, 05:06 AM
Dave Grosvenor

Joe, what aeroplane are you using the engine on? Although you
correctly say that the Jab runs at lower rpm, with no gearbox the prop
rpm is high. You need to make sure you can turn a relatively small
prop at 3300rpm to extract all the hp out of the Jab. This doesn't
work on slow draggy aircraft with large frontal area.

Dave

Old September 4th 03, 11:55 PM
Joe

Hi Ian

THat was my impression too that maybe the Jabiru was being field tested by
the customers at their expense. Seems to be more enthusiasm for the Rotax.

Thanks

Phil

Old September 5th 03, 12:04 AM
Joe

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your input too. I can see the logic behind the gearbox giving
more power. I suppose it was the high revving engine that worried me most
but with todays technology then 5000RPM is no big deal.

Phil

.

Old September 5th 03, 12:04 AM
Joe

Hi Dave

I'm still looking for a plane and have a few types in mind.

In particular I was also looking at the Zodiac XL which is supplied as
standard with the Jabiru or Rotax for similar cost. Cost is not the probelm
as I would rather spend say £2000 more and have the reliability.I suppose
the Zodiac Xl is a cleanish aerroplane but I'm tending to go for the Roatx
as no one seems to have a bad word for it. Have now heard of quite a few
problems with the Jab.

Thanks for your input.

Phil

om...

Old September 5th 03, 12:32 AM
Barnyard BOb --

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:04:52 +0000 (UTC), "Joe"
wrote:

Hi Dave

I'm still looking for a plane and have a few types in mind.

Cost is not the probelm
as I would rather spend say £2000 more and have the reliability.I suppose
the Zodiac Xl is a cleanish aerroplane but I'm tending to go for the Roatx
as no one seems to have a bad word for it. Have now heard of quite a few
problems with the Jab.

Chuckle

If reliability is paramount, not cost...
Neither Rotax or Jabiru comes close
to Lycoming or Continental.

There is plenty of bad mouthing to be found for
Rotax, Jabiru, Continental and Lycoming.....

The trick is in separating the wheat from the chaff.

Barnyard BOb -- Lycoming powered RV-3