Torque and P-factor

Old August 11th 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marten Kemp

Default Torque and P-factor

I'm a 200-hour private pilot and was wondering about
torque and P-factor effects in high-powered aircraft,
especially warbirds.

From what I've read they could be significant,
especially during takeoff and landing, and were a major
reason for operational write-offs. Narrow-track gear
were especially vulnerable.

With my most robust flying being in a 182 about the
only experience with P-factor was with a little
pull to the left on takeoff.

--
-- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to reply)
Old August 11th 13, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Marten Kemp wrote:

I'm a 200-hour private pilot and was wondering about
torque and P-factor effects in high-powered aircraft,
especially warbirds.

From what I've read they could be significant,
especially during takeoff and landing, and were a major
reason for operational write-offs. Narrow-track gear
were especially vulnerable.

With my most robust flying being in a 182 about the
only experience with P-factor was with a little
pull to the left on takeoff.

In addition to P-factor, you can encounter inertial coupling between the
prop and airframe when making pitch changes (such as landing flare or
lifting the tail on takeoff) with the large warbirds.
Old August 12th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marten Kemp

On 8/11/2013 3:45 PM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
Marten Kemp wrote:

I'm a 200-hour private pilot and was wondering about
torque and P-factor effects in high-powered aircraft,
especially warbirds.

From what I've read they could be significant,
especially during takeoff and landing, and were a major
reason for operational write-offs. Narrow-track gear
were especially vulnerable.

With my most robust flying being in a 182 about the
only experience with P-factor was with a little
pull to the left on takeoff.

In addition to P-factor, you can encounter inertial coupling between the
prop and airframe when making pitch changes (such as landing flare or
lifting the tail on takeoff) with the large warbirds.

Thanks. This is kinda-sorta related to an alternate-history
timeline where a bunch of starships from about 1000 years
in the future wind up near Earth in 1920. One of the new
tech things they're doing is pushing aircraft technology
up a bit - mainly with higher-powered radial engines, all-
metal construction, wide-track tricycle gear, flaps, disc
brakes, fuel injection and dual mags.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/disc...d.php?t=181588
(free registration required)

--
-- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to rply)
Old October 28th 13, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:54:08 AM UTC-4, Marten Kemp wrote:
I'm a 200-hour private pilot and was wondering about

torque and P-factor effects in high-powered aircraft,

especially warbirds.

From what I've read they could be significant,

especially during takeoff and landing, and were a major

reason for operational write-offs. Narrow-track gear

were especially vulnerable.

With my most robust flying being in a 182 about the

only experience with P-factor was with a little

pull to the left on takeoff.

--

-- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to reply)

You are correct. The forces can be considerable, especially at low airspeed, high angle of attack and during changes in pitch.
One thing to remember concerning this is that although spiral slipstream forces, gyroscopic precession, and P Factor are yaw associated, torque is a correction in ROLL not yaw.
These forces are easily controlled by proper control use, allowing dynamic pressure to develop on control surfaces via airspeed, and carefully controlled changes in pitch.
Dudley Henriques

Pucker Factor SOS[_3_] Piloting 0 May 31st 08 11:21 PM
DC-3/C-47 Limit Load Factor Dale General Aviation 6 July 2nd 06 04:28 AM
GWB & The Military Factor Kevin Brooks Military Aviation 9 September 11th 04 04:44 AM
McCauley Pucker Factor Orval Fairbairn Piloting 8 May 18th 04 08:57 PM
gpa a factor after graduation? sibersmith Military Aviation 28 November 26th 03 05:06 PM