Which Model

Old April 1st 04, 10:12 PM

Default Which Model

Hi, I'm a new comer and I hope this question has not been asked too
many times before.

I'm looking into a light bush plane type, kind like a PA-11. I'm
interested in one that can take two people and take off and clear 50'
in around 700', possible to be put on a float. I've looked at Kitfox,
Rans, CH701, Capella, Bushcaddy, and of course the J3 / PA-11.

I'm looking into the flight quality, sturdiness and safety, building
and maintainance easiness, and factory and builder support. I
understand that they are all quite similar with the standard kits cost
just below $20k, and will probably cost a total of close to $50k when
ready to fly. Will take just over 1k hours for an average person.

The other bench mark airplane is a Cessna 150/152 which I have quite a
bit of time in. I really like the flight quality and overal quality. I
also flown a few hours on a J3. Kind of drafty and strange. It could
be that I just need to get used to it. Now the C150 will need almost
1400' at gross. But it has a somewhat higher gross. One question is
that could the C150 be made to take off in less than 1000'. In terms
of cost, you can get one nice Cessna 150/152 at almost half of the
cost of the homebuilts that I mentioned.

Sorry I did not ask specific questions. I'd appreciate it if someone
can take the subjects and give some enlightenment and actual
experience.

Jizhong
Old April 2nd 04, 03:05 AM
Darrel Toepfer

I'm looking into a light bush plane type, kind like a PA-11. I'm
interested in one that can take two people and take off and clear 50'
in around 700', possible to be put on a float. I've looked at Kitfox,
Rans, CH701, Capella, Bushcaddy, and of course the J3 / PA-11.

The other bench mark airplane is a Cessna 150/152 which I have quite a
bit of time in. I really like the flight quality and overal quality. I
also flown a few hours on a J3. Kind of drafty and strange. It could
be that I just need to get used to it. Now the C150 will need almost
1400' at gross. But it has a somewhat higher gross. One question is
that could the C150 be made to take off in less than 1000'. In terms
of cost, you can get one nice Cessna 150/152 at almost half of the
cost of the homebuilts that I mentioned.

Here's a 160hp C152 Texas Taildragger:
http://www.asadeancomputing.com/tdc/.../337forms.html

1200 FPM Climb
155 MPH WOT @ 3K'
74" prop

Conversion was done by:
A C T AERIAL SERVICES DIVISION
6245 AERODRMOME WAY, COUNTY HANGER
AIRCRAFT CONVERSION TECHNOLOGIES, INC
GEORGETOWN, CA 95634

They have/had conversions to I0-360 (180hp)
http://www.asadeancomputing.com/tdc/...20Forms/26.jpg
What the new gross weight is, will require additional research...

This link references the ability to use floats:
http://www.asadeancomputing.com/tdc/...20Forms/23.jpg

Here's a link to other mods:
http://www.aeroprice.com/aerolibrary/cessnase_mods.htm
Old April 2nd 04, 04:06 AM
dale

Rans S7 without a doubt. Check out the factory. Yahoo has a S7 group. Lots
of guys with floats on.

Old April 2nd 04, 07:13 AM
Jari Kaija

I'm looking into a light bush plane type, kind like a PA-11. I'm
interested in one that can take two people and take off and clear 50'
in around 700', possible to be put on a float. I've looked at Kitfox,
Rans, CH701, Capella, Bushcaddy, and of course the J3 / PA-11.

I'm looking into the flight quality, sturdiness and safety, building
and maintainance easiness, and factory and builder support. I
understand that they are all quite similar with the standard kits cost
just below $20k, and will probably cost a total of close to $50k when
ready to fly. Will take just over 1k hours for an average person.

Talking about CH701... you will rip the rest of your hairs off,
when trying to keep your drawings up to date :-)

-Jari Kaija
www.project-ch701.net

Old April 2nd 04, 02:36 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Jari Kaija wrote:

Talking about CH701... you will rip the rest of your hairs off,
when trying to keep your drawings up to date :-)

-Jari Kaija
www.project-ch701.net

Nice job on the website...
Old April 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:12:45 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Here's a bush plane that is being constructed new.

http://www.interstateaircraft.com/page5.html

Corky Scott
Old April 2nd 04, 07:26 PM
Shelly

Best numbers you can find!

http://www.bushplanes.com/background.html

Old April 2nd 04, 09:22 PM
Del Rawlins

In Shelly wrote:
Best numbers you can find!

http://www.bushplanes.com/background.html

In a 2 place, yes. But the 4 seat Bearhawk offers similar numbers and
the kit is less expensive than what I have seen quoted for the Mountain
Goat. I also haven't heard if they have delivered any kits yet.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old April 2nd 04, 09:40 PM
Del Rawlins

In Del Rawlins wrote:
In Shelly wrote:
Best numbers you can find!

http://www.bushplanes.com/background.html

In a 2 place, yes. But the 4 seat Bearhawk offers similar numbers and
the kit is less expensive than what I have seen quoted for the
Mountain Goat. I also haven't heard if they have delivered any kits
yet.

Just to clarify that, I haven't heard if Mountain Goat is delivering

Curtiss Pusher Model D Home Built 12 February 22nd 18 10:50 PM
Engine Questions Bill A. Home Built 28 January 22nd 04 04:27 AM
3.8 liter V6 Ford PSRU model year compatibility James W Brackett Home Built 2 October 30th 03 06:20 AM
Scripps model 302 V12 engine butch burton Home Built 3 October 1st 03 02:56 PM
Aerocat at Oshkosh randall g Home Built 5 August 6th 03 07:02 PM