Cold Start Question

Old January 10th 05, 09:59 PM
Andy Shane

Default Cold Start Question

Gang,

A friend has heard that pulling the prop control out to make coarse
pitch aids starting (when the engine has had trouble starting).

Has anyone ever heard of this technique?

Andy

ANDY'S HANGAR http://webpages.charter.net/andyshangar/
Old January 10th 05, 10:28 PM
Robert M. Gary

Andy Shane wrote:
Gang,

A friend has heard that pulling the prop control out to make coarse
pitch aids starting (when the engine has had trouble starting).

Has anyone ever heard of this technique?

I can't imagine it changes anything with the prop at that speed. It may
have something to do with getting the oil flowing into the hub.

Old January 11th 05, 02:53 AM
BTIZ

I would think that during starting, the rpm is well below prop governing
range.. and it would have no effect.. I have never heard of this procedure.

BT

news

Old January 11th 05, 03:26 AM
Dale

In article .com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I can't imagine it changes anything with the prop at that speed. It may
have something to do with getting the oil flowing into the hub.

Even with the prop control out the oil flow won't change until the
governor decides it needs to govern and that won't happen until you
increase power.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old January 11th 05, 03:54 AM

Andy,

It is a procedure used on a few radial engines, such as on the Jacobs
on a Cessna 195, however, the prop has to be pulled back to low rpm
(coarse pitch) prior to shutdown, not on startup.

For horizontally opposed engines (singles) it has no effect, the prop
is on the low pitch locks and is being held there by the spring and
will stay there until the rpm is high enough for the prop to govern.
All the best,
Rick

Old January 11th 05, 10:03 AM
Roger

On 10 Jan 2005 13:28:19 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

Andy Shane wrote:
Gang,

A friend has heard that pulling the prop control out to make coarse
pitch aids starting (when the engine has had trouble starting).

Has anyone ever heard of this technique?

I can't imagine it changes anything with the prop at that speed. It may
have something to do with getting the oil flowing into the hub

At low RPM it shouldn't even do that.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 11th 05, 06:49 PM
Ash Wyllie

BTIZ opined

I would think that during starting, the rpm is well below prop governing
range.. and it would have no effect.. I have never heard of this procedure.

Even if the prop did change pitch, it would do any good. All that would happen
is that there would be more prop drag while the engine is trying to start.

"Andy Shane" wrote in message
news
Gang,

A friend has heard that pulling the prop control out to make coarse
pitch aids starting (when the engine has had trouble starting).

Has anyone ever heard of this technique?

Andy

ANDY'S HANGAR http://webpages.charter.net/andyshangar/

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old January 12th 05, 02:35 PM
Andy Shane

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Russ Bird, who is also on this group, is new again to general
aviation, and was wondering if the technique could help in starting
the C182 he flies.

We both fly the 777 for one of the majors, Russ as captain and me as
copilot.

Here is a recent pic of my own old Cessna:
http://webpages.charter.net/andyshan.../premating.bmp

Fly safe!

Andy Shane

ANDY'S HANGAR http://webpages.charter.net/andyshangar/

Speech: A Question of Loyalty: Gen. Billy Mitchell Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 25th 04 09:30 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Phoenix AIM-54A (QUESTION) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 10 February 23rd 04 08:22 AM