The movie: Always

Old January 28th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default The movie: Always

Recently got this movie and have watched it several times. My 2.5 year-old
grandson loves the flying scenes - wants me to repeat certain scenes over
and over. Fun movie, but considering that it's a tribute to WW-II style
flying, couldn't Spielberg have tried a bit harder for aviation
authenticity?

Some mistakes noticed:

-Pete doesn't bother to feather either prop when he runs out of fuel and
glides to a landing (this is the one that bothers me the most. Just stupid.
The props ARE feathered in the long shot of the plane rolling out).
-Pete RETARDS the throttles to start his power dive to save Al. (this may
make sense in a fully loaded A-26, but seemed wrong to me if he was trying
to catch up to the PBY)
-The hydraulic pump is already on "Aux" when Dorinda loses pressure and has
to ditch in the lake. She switches it to "Primary" to try and fix the
problem.
-What Dorinda is doing with the yoke doesn't seem to have much relationship
to what the airplane is doing as she steers for the lake.
-Why does an inability to pull out of a dive always (in Hollywood) depend on
being unable to pull on the yoke hard enough? When they finally figure out
a way to pull harder, they recover.

These are the main piloting gaffes I can remember. Of course there's the
usual Hollywood hokum about ditched aircraft instantly sinking (don't
directors know anything about buoyancy?)

Still, I liked the movie enough to buy it.

Old January 28th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Still, I liked the movie enough to buy it.

For those who haven't figured it out, the movie is ALWAYS, Steven
Spielbergs remake of A GUY NAMED JOE which starred Spencer Tracy and Van
Johnson.
Old January 28th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

-What Dorinda is doing with the yoke doesn't seem to have much relationship
to what the airplane is doing as she steers for the lake.
-Why does an inability to pull out of a dive always (in Hollywood) depend on
being unable to pull on the yoke hard enough? When they finally figure out
a way to pull harder, they recover.

All that happened because it was written in the storybook and that was
done to make the spectators give the opinion to be familiar with most
actions happening there.
It is a wonderful scenery for a Love-affair and the story was a big deal
in emotions, but in no way a documentary movie.
I love the movie, even its not real life. Movies mostly arent......

Greetings,
Heiko
Old January 28th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The A-26 tankers that you saw are sitting right here on the field at
BIL. The owner and pilot who flew them in the movie just died a few
weeks ago. He owned the local Cessna FBO until just a few years ago
when he and his partners sold it. He owned two A-26's and they have
been for sale for a long time. One is painted up in military colors and
is the more valuable one. The one used in the movie is still painted
that way and is parked outside for all to see.

Old January 28th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yeah, I saw that one (the A-26 from the movie) for sale on Ebay a few weeks
ago. It was only on for a short time and disappeared. Really neat plane,
but I couldn't afford the gas and oil, nevermind the price and restoration
;-(

Old January 29th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Recently got this movie and have watched it several times. My 2.5
year-old grandson loves the flying scenes - wants me to repeat certain
scenes over and over. Fun movie, but considering that it's a tribute to
WW-II style flying, couldn't Spielberg have tried a bit harder for
aviation authenticity?

SNIP --

I bought it also. The cast was great, Goodmans character is hillarious and
the late Audrey Hepburn was still a looker in my book.

I've often wondered how pilot/actors, like Travolta, H.Ford & M.Freeman must
feel when they encounter "Hollywood Aviation".

Marty

Old January 29th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Marty" wrote in message

I bought it also. The cast was great, Goodmans character is hillarious and
the late Audrey Hepburn was still a looker in my book.

The Twinkie scene was priceless.

Old January 29th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Recently got this movie and have watched it several times. My 2.5
year-old grandson loves the flying scenes - wants me to repeat certain
scenes over and over. Fun movie, but considering that it's a tribute to
WW-II style flying, couldn't Spielberg have tried a bit harder for
aviation authenticity?

SNIP --

The most unrealistic part of the movie is a guy that could ignore the
advances of Marg Helgenberg! :-D

Marty

Old January 29th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How about asking for a sectional AND a WAC chart to fine a fire, in the
dark, only 12 miles away?