What is the purpose of "chase planes"?

Old October 20th 03, 07:45 PM
Bill Silvey

Default What is the purpose of "chase planes"?

"Hobo" wrote in message

What is the purpose of "chase planes" that are always involved with
the testing of every new aircraft design?

Gathering visual data, taking promotional photos and videos, etc. Also
providing ground control with important information vis a viz aircraft
attitude, angle of attack, etc., should the pilot of the test aircraft
become incapacitated and unable to report his situation prior to a crash.
Or if the aircraft itself suffers some sort of degenerative structural
failure that the test pilot might not be immediately aware of, or a
fuel/hydraulic leak that a malfunctioning sensor isn't reading.

Essentially it's another set of eyes directly on the situation.

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old October 20th 03, 08:11 PM
WDA

And in particular on early flights to view the position of the test plane
flight control surfaces: elevators rudder, ailerons, to know how far out of
trim the a/c design may be.

WDA

end

"Bill Silvey" wrote in message
m...

Old October 20th 03, 08:47 PM
Mary Shafer

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:12:06 -0700, Hobo wrote:

What is the purpose of "chase planes" that are always involved with the
testing of every new aircraft design?

There are two kinds of chase planes: safety and photo.

Safety chase is there for safety of flight--the chase pilot takes the
radio calls, watches for traffic, makes sure they stay inside the
restricted area, keeps an eye out for fluids leaks or parts falling
off, acts as a pacer aircraft to be sure the CADS is working about
right, looks for anomalies like flutter or buffet, and, if required,
acts as RESCAP.

Photo chase carries the photographer or videographer, obviously. The
photo chase pilot will also be a safety chase.

At Dryden, research aircraft have to have a safety chase at all times,
except in the landing pattern. On long flights, we could use the EDW
tanker crew as an interim safety chase while we swapped safety chases,
ensuring that the research vehicle was never flying all by itself, out
of everyone's view.

Mary

Old October 20th 03, 10:42 PM
Dan Contreras

"Bill Silvey" wrote in message om...
"Hobo" wrote in message

What is the purpose of "chase planes" that are always involved with
the testing of every new aircraft design?

Gathering visual data, taking promotional photos and videos, etc. Also
providing ground control with important information vis a viz aircraft
attitude, angle of attack, etc., should the pilot of the test aircraft
become incapacitated and unable to report his situation prior to a crash.
Or if the aircraft itself suffers some sort of degenerative structural
failure that the test pilot might not be immediately aware of, or a
fuel/hydraulic leak that a malfunctioning sensor isn't reading.

Essentially it's another set of eyes directly on the situation.

I'm sure that there are many other sources, but Yeager's autobiography
"Yeager" has some great information and tales on the duties of chase
pilots.
Old October 20th 03, 11:26 PM
Gene Storey

It allows the desk gomers to get their 4hrs a month to
keep their flight pay coming.

"Hobo" wrote

Old October 21st 03, 10:25 AM
Cub Driver

They do useful things like confirming that the test aircraft's wheels
are down (or up, as the case may be).

When I read the subject heading of your post, I thought you were
talking about WWI French fighters, which went by the name of chase.
Similiarly, U.S. fighters in the inter-war period were called pursuit.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 21st 03, 02:46 PM
John Mullen

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

They do useful things like confirming that the test aircraft's wheels
are down (or up, as the case may be).

When I read the subject heading of your post, I thought you were
talking about WWI French fighters, which went by the name of chase.

That would be 'avions de chasse'; lit 'hunting planes'. 'Jagtflugzeuge' in
German is similar.

Similiarly, U.S. fighters in the inter-war period were called pursuit.

Wonder just when and why the term changed to 'fighter' planes? After all,
bombing and even recce planes 'fight' too, in a sense.

John