Gel headset seals

Old September 21st 04, 11:15 PM
Brian Burger

Default Gel headset seals

When I bought my current (and first) headset two years ago I bought a pair
of replacement gel ear seals, then got used to the foam seals and forgot
about the gel seals until I found them in a box last week.

I decided to swap the foam ones for the gel seals, and first flew with
them on Saturday - WOW, I wish I hadn't waited two years to use these
things.

They're more comfortable over my glasses, seem to block more of the
aircraft noise, and seemed to reduce the 'clamping pressure' over my ears
more than the foam seals. Also, because they won't compress, I think
they'll stand up to being pressed together in my flightbag better than the
old foam pads.

If you're still using foam ear seals, do yourself a favour and drop $20 on
a set of gel seals!

Brian
www.warbard.ca/avgas/index.html
Old September 25th 04, 02:52 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Brian Burger wrote:

If you're still using foam ear seals, do yourself a favour and drop $20 on
a set of gel seals!

They are great until they pop... One failed in a crease for unknown
reason last week, makes a real mess...
Old September 26th 04, 12:00 AM
Capt.Doug

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
They are great until they pop... One failed in a crease for unknown
reason last week, makes a real mess...

That silicone fluid is insidious. It leaks imperceptibly. You feel wetness
on your neck but can't find any water. Then your shirt sticks to your skin,
but you still can't find any leaks. You have 6 hours of flying left for the
day.

I went back to foam. I use the Temper foam aftermarket ones now. They are
just as comfortable as the gel seals were, but don't leak.

D.