Macchi 205, Re. 2005, Fiat G.55

Old March 10th 04, 03:47 PM
N-6

Default Macchi 205, Re. 2005, Fiat G.55

I am interested in getting more info about the Italian "Series 5"
fighters of WW2 (Macchi MC. 205, Reggiane Re. 2005, Fiat G.55). Some
specific questions:

1. Did any Macchi 205's have 20mm cannons installed /inside/ the
wings, or did cannon-equipped 205's only have them in under-wing
gondolas? My sources are not clear on this.

2. How many rounds of ammo did the cannon-equipped MC 205 carry for
each cannon?

3. My understanding is that all Italian planes had "reversed" throttle
controls, i.e. the pilot pulled the throttle control back to get more
engine power, and pushed the control forward to cut engine power. Were
any of the Italian 5-series fighters modified to have the throttle
control operate the opposite/"standard" way when exported to other
nations (for instance, when German pilots supposedly used the Re.2005
over Berlin)?

4. I have read that the limited-production Re.2005 was considered the
best handling/most maneuverable/best performing plane of the three
Italian fighters at low-to-mid altitudes. I have heard offhand that an
Italian pilot who flew both the Spitfire VIII and the Re.2005 said
that the Re.2005 was much superior of the two in this respect. Since
there is so little information about the Re.2005 out there, can anyone
verify/add to this? Was the 2005 really that good? Did the plane have
any vices (I've heard about some sort of structural problem?)?

Thanks for any help...
Old March 10th 04, 10:33 PM
Cub Driver

3. My understanding is that all Italian planes had "reversed" throttle
controls, i.e. the pilot pulled the throttle control back to get more
engine power, and pushed the control forward to cut engine power

Interesting. Any confirmation of this?

The French of course were famed (or infamous) for the "backwards"
throttle. Curtiss manufactured P-40 types for France which were later
taken over by the British as Tomahawk Is and used for training. In one
oft-told instance, a British pilot realized he was landing long,
pushed the throttle to the firewall, and pancaked into a hangar. He
climbed out, saying: "No wonder the bloody Frogs lost the war!"

The Japanese army in 1920 imported French fighters, instructors, and
designers, and therefore fought the Pacific War with reverse
throttles. The navy meanwhile had done the same with British fighters,
instructors, and designers, hence used the throttle in the
Anglo-American fashion.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 11th 04, 04:45 AM
Tony Williams

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..

The Japanese army in 1920 imported French fighters, instructors, and
designers, and therefore fought the Pacific War with reverse
throttles. The navy meanwhile had done the same with British fighters,
instructors, and designers, hence used the throttle in the
Anglo-American fashion.

That perfectly sums up the attitude of the Japanese Navy and Army.
They seemed to regard it as a point of honour to do things
differently. Just look at their aircraft armament; they had between
them three different MG cartridges, three different HMG, five
different 20mm and three 30mm - and the only cartridge common to both
was the 7.92x57 for the German MG 15 which they both used!

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Old March 11th 04, 06:12 AM

Cub Driver wrote:

3. My understanding is that all Italian planes had "reversed" throttle
controls, i.e. the pilot pulled the throttle control back to get more
engine power, and pushed the control forward to cut engine power

Heck, why do you guys find this odd?...the Boeing B-29
Superfortress has throttles which you move aft (toward the tail)
to increase power...and this a/c was made right there in the
US!!...
--

-Gord.
Old March 13th 04, 02:40 AM
George Ruch

"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

Cub Driver wrote:

3. My understanding is that all Italian planes had "reversed" throttle
controls, i.e. the pilot pulled the throttle control back to get more
engine power, and pushed the control forward to cut engine power

Heck, why do you guys find this odd?...the Boeing B-29
Superfortress has throttles which you move aft (toward the tail)
to increase power...and this a/c was made right there in the
US!!...

But only at the flight engineer's station, which faces aft. I did a tour
through 'Fifi' when she was here in Clovis. The a/c, co-pilot and flight
engineer's throttles are all rigged in a conventional manner, i.e. forward
from the _operator's_ POV = increased power.

/------------------------------------------------------------\
| George Ruch |
| "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?" |
\------------------------------------------------------------/
Old March 13th 04, 03:21 AM

George Ruch wrote:

"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

Cub Driver wrote:

3. My understanding is that all Italian planes had "reversed" throttle
controls, i.e. the pilot pulled the throttle control back to get more
engine power, and pushed the control forward to cut engine power

Heck, why do you guys find this odd?...the Boeing B-29
Superfortress has throttles which you move aft (toward the tail)
to increase power...and this a/c was made right there in the
US!!...

But only at the flight engineer's station, which faces aft. I did a tour
through 'Fifi' when she was here in Clovis. The a/c, co-pilot and flight
engineer's throttles are all rigged in a conventional manner, i.e. forward
from the _operator's_ POV = increased power.

You're quite right George!!...Just having a bit of fun with that
one!...waiting for someone to get all righteous and
indignant!...(bit of innocent trolling).

It musta been a bitch learning to fly that aircraft for the F/E
though. The throttles do go in the instinctive direction for
'more - less' power but the numbering does not follow instinct.

In other words, number one engine isn't the left one of the four
throttles, and the engine instruments are numbered from the right
to the left, very confusing, especially when you gotta do things
quickly as sometimes happens.

The F/E's throttles at his position on the Argus is very
instinctive (mind you he's facing forward)
--

-Gord.
Old March 14th 04, 05:07 AM
robert arndt

(N-6) wrote in message . com...
I am interested in getting more info about the Italian "Series 5"
fighters of WW2 (Macchi MC. 205, Reggiane Re. 2005, Fiat G.55). Some
specific questions:

1. Did any Macchi 205's have 20mm cannons installed /inside/ the
wings, or did cannon-equipped 205's only have them in under-wing
gondolas? My sources are not clear on this.

The Macchi C.205 Veltro (Greyhound) was one of the best Italian
late-war fighters powered by the German Daimler-Benz DB 605 engine.
Although only 177 were produced, some carried armament of one Mauser
MG-151/20 cannon in fairings beneath each wing.
The other Macchi C.205, the N-version Orione (Orion) initially had
four SAFAT 12.7mm MG in the fuselage plus an engine-mounted 20mm
engine cannon. In the second prototype this was revised to two SAFAT
12.7mm cannon in the fuselage and two MG-151/20 in underwing fairings.
Only 2 prototypes were produced.
Interestingly enough, Egypt ordered 68 Macchi C.205Vs postwar to use
against the Jewish State. 42 were delivered, mostly conversions from
C.202 airframes. They briefly fought the Israelis before the armistice
was signed in 1949.

2. How many rounds of ammo did the cannon-equipped MC 205 carry for
each cannon?

Between 200-250 rds.

3. My understanding is that all Italian planes had "reversed" throttle
controls, i.e. the pilot pulled the throttle control back to get more
engine power, and pushed the control forward to cut engine power. Were
any of the Italian 5-series fighters modified to have the throttle
control operate the opposite/"standard" way when exported to other
nations (for instance, when German pilots supposedly used the Re.2005
over Berlin)?

No, the Italian co-belligerents flew "alongside" the Luftwaffe in the
defense of Berlin IIRC.

4. I have read that the limited-production Re.2005 was considered the
best handling/most maneuverable/best performing plane of the three
Italian fighters at low-to-mid altitudes. I have heard offhand that an
Italian pilot who flew both the Spitfire VIII and the Re.2005 said
that the Re.2005 was much superior of the two in this respect. Since
there is so little information about the Re.2005 out there, can anyone
verify/add to this? Was the 2005 really that good? Did the plane have
any vices (I've heard about some sort of structural problem?)?

I've heard the opposite- that even the introduction of the superior
Daimler-Benz DB 605 (RA 1050 R.C.58 Tifone)could not improve the
overall performance of the Re.2005 Sagitarrio (Archer). In fact,
although only 48 were built, Regianne planned a 450 mph variant
Re.2005R with a centrifugal compressor powered by an additional piston
engine!
The best Italian fighter of the war was undoubtedly the Fiat G.55
Centauro, which also used the German license-built DB 605 engine. It
was armed with three Mauser MG-151/20, two SAFAT 12.7mm MG, and a
modest bombload of two 352lb bombs on underwing racks. The Centauros
frequently ran into the P-51 Mustang and was a match for it. But an
even more advanced model- the Fiat G.56 was in the works that would
have used the DB 603 engine making it the fastest of all Italian
aircraft. Production was cancelled, however, before the type could be
introduced into combat. The G.55 went on postwar to equip the Italian
AMI until the early '50s.

Thanks for any help...

Rob