Proposed 2019 Changes to SSA Competition Rules - Feedback perioduntil 1/10/19

Old December 30th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Proposed 2019 Changes to SSA Competition Rules - Feedback perioduntil 1/10/19

US Competition Pilots and Interested Parties:

Proposed changes to 2019 SSA Competition Rules are now available on the SSA website at the following address:

https://www.ssa.org/files/member/2019DraftRules-v4.pdf

We strongly prefer getting input prior to publishing the rules in the winter as opposed to during a contest in the spring or summer, so please take a few minutes to have a look and provide feedback to the Rules Committee via PM to one of the members - or public posting as you see fit.

Happy New Year!

For the SSA Competition Rules Committee
Andy Blackburn
Chair
Old December 31st 18, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Many thanks to everyone who worked hard to make these changes!

Lou
Old December 31st 18, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

Will points be awarded for extra distance done in the new smaller turn points in the assigned task? From a tactical perspective this is a big difference between FAI and SSA rules.

All the best in the new year.
Luke Szczepaniak

Old December 31st 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:37:51 AM UTC-5, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
Will points be awarded for extra distance done in the new smaller turn points in the assigned task? From a tactical perspective this is a big difference between FAI and SSA rules.

All the best in the new year.
Luke Szczepaniak

Pretty clear the AT turn is still an area turn.

The larger tactical difference is our area start vs FAI line start.

I'd like to see the US adopt FAI start & turn rules for the AT.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old December 31st 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

I guess the fact that the new wording does not specifically mention that distance inside the cylinder will not be credited implies that credit will in fact be given as before. I wholly agree that switching to start line would better align the SSA rules to IGC. Simply reducing the size of the cylinders makes marginal difference. Baby steps I suppose.

All the best
Luke