A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2016 SSA Convention Presentations

Old January 23rd 16, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default 2016 SSA Convention Presentations

Was wondering if the SSA or presenters will video their presentations and post on youtube? I cannot make the convention, but there are at least 4 presentations I would love to hear!!!
Old January 23rd 16, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

Jonathan,
Due to contractual requirements, there is one company that we would have to use to video speaker sessions. When we checked into this, the cost was about $10,000.

The SSA Convention is a low budget affair, primarily due to the typically low number of attendees. We are doing our best this year to increase attendance with an extremely small marketing budget. While the advance ticket sales are up for this year's event, they don't lead us to believe that there will be an additional $10K for videoing the speaker sessions.

The SSA is a 501c3 charitable organization and a directed donation, if it was done quick enough, could make this possible.

SF
Old January 23rd 16, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Thank you for the response. Sorry to hear this as I am sure there are many SSA members who would like to hear the presentations, but due to work/family/budget time or money...etc., cannot attend. Perhaps next year negotiate for the SSA to video the presentations to post on the SSA web site for it's membership to view. I would gladly pay the cost of admission to the conference to view the videos.

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 12:39:59 PM UTC-8, SF wrote:
Jonathan,
Due to contractual requirements, there is one company that we would have to use to video speaker sessions. When we checked into this, the cost was about $10,000.

The SSA Convention is a low budget affair, primarily due to the typically low number of attendees. We are doing our best this year to increase attendance with an extremely small marketing budget. While the advance ticket sales are up for this year's event, they don't lead us to believe that there will be an additional $10K for videoing the speaker sessions.

The SSA is a 501c3 charitable organization and a directed donation, if it was done quick enough, could make this possible.

SF

Old January 23rd 16, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have also longed for videos of sessions, sometimes even when I was attending the convention.

Having to work for a living during the convention this year, I would also gladly pay admission for access to all the sessions being taped.

Might be worth a blast email to the SSA membership to see if the funds could be raised for videos this year.

Kevin Anderson
Old January 24th 16, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

Kevin,
you round up the money, and I'll make it happen.
Bear in mind that your potential contributors will spend 150K on a glider, 120K on a motor home, show up at a contest with both, and then bitch about spending $20 on a meal.

SF

Old January 24th 16, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

WHAT, $20 for a meal are you serving Kobe steak flown in daily from Japan! You know the $20 is just going to come out the back door in the morning. Have you tried the happy meal plan at McD?

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:09:11 PM UTC-8, SF wrote:
Kevin,
Bear in mind that your potential contributors will spend 150K on a glider, 120K on a motor home, show up at a contest with both, and then bitch about spending $20 on a meal.

SF

Old January 24th 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 9:09:11 PM UTC-5, SF wrote:
Kevin,

SF

An idea sent up the food chain and copied to your email.

Kevin
Old January 25th 16, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Maybe you could set up the SSA Convention Video CD (it actually could be just a download to reduce cost) like Greg does the tee shirts (sort of the Kick Starter/Groupon model). Have people pay (or commit) and only when it hits the critical mass does it happen.

Then you only put effort in if you have cash. The other question is whether the video cannibalizes the convention attendance - but only a real life trial can tell that.

WH1
Old February 5th 16, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I understand that this topic for archiving the convention talks comes up every convention timeframe.

I also understand that it is cost prohibitive and therefore the SSA would be reluctant to do this.

So how many other alternatives are there?

1) having an audience member video and upload to YouTube has been mentioned..

2) the SSA could collect all speaker electronic presentation files and archive those at a minimum. No video, no speaker/audience commentary. But at least something is captured for the history books. Could be setup just like the magazine archive. Which yes takes time/money, but it's something. Or easier yet just a drive partition on the web server where all the files are dropped (by year, by topic) and stored there. Users could download the files at their leisure and consistent file formatting be damned. It's just ones and zeros at that point. Maybe in the future the yearly rate would go up to buy a TB of server space. Just a thought.

3) how many more ideas are out there that need to be noodled on??

Britton

Old February 5th 16, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 9:09:11 PM UTC-5, SF wrote:
Kevin,

SF

isn't it obvious?? it's because they already spent the rest of their money on the motorhome and glider! XD