2016 SSA Convention Presentations

Old January 23rd 16, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default 2016 SSA Convention Presentations

Was wondering if the SSA or presenters will video their presentations and post on youtube? I cannot make the convention, but there are at least 4 presentations I would love to hear!!!
Old January 23rd 16, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Jonathan,
Due to contractual requirements, there is one company that we would have to use to video speaker sessions. When we checked into this, the cost was about $10,000.

The SSA Convention is a low budget affair, primarily due to the typically low number of attendees. We are doing our best this year to increase attendance with an extremely small marketing budget. While the advance ticket sales are up for this year's event, they don't lead us to believe that there will be an additional $10K for videoing the speaker sessions.

The SSA is a 501c3 charitable organization and a directed donation, if it was done quick enough, could make this possible.

SF

Old January 23rd 16, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have also longed for videos of sessions, sometimes even when I was attending the convention.

Having to work for a living during the convention this year, I would also gladly pay admission for access to all the sessions being taped.

Might be worth a blast email to the SSA membership to see if the funds could be raised for videos this year.

Kevin Anderson
92
Old January 24th 16, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Kevin,
you round up the money, and I'll make it happen.
Bear in mind that your potential contributors will spend 150K on a glider, 120K on a motor home, show up at a contest with both, and then bitch about spending $20 on a meal.

SF

Old January 24th 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 9:09:11 PM UTC-5, SF wrote:
Kevin,
you round up the money, and I'll make it happen.
Bear in mind that your potential contributors will spend 150K on a glider, 120K on a motor home, show up at a contest with both, and then bitch about spending $20 on a meal.

SF

An idea sent up the food chain and copied to your email.

Kevin
92
Old January 25th 16, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Maybe you could set up the SSA Convention Video CD (it actually could be just a download to reduce cost) like Greg does the tee shirts (sort of the Kick Starter/Groupon model). Have people pay (or commit) and only when it hits the critical mass does it happen.

Then you only put effort in if you have cash. The other question is whether the video cannibalizes the convention attendance - but only a real life trial can tell that.

WH1
Old February 5th 16, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I understand that this topic for archiving the convention talks comes up every convention timeframe.

I also understand that it is cost prohibitive and therefore the SSA would be reluctant to do this.

So how many other alternatives are there?

1) having an audience member video and upload to YouTube has been mentioned..

2) the SSA could collect all speaker electronic presentation files and archive those at a minimum. No video, no speaker/audience commentary. But at least something is captured for the history books. Could be setup just like the magazine archive. Which yes takes time/money, but it's something. Or easier yet just a drive partition on the web server where all the files are dropped (by year, by topic) and stored there. Users could download the files at their leisure and consistent file formatting be damned. It's just ones and zeros at that point. Maybe in the future the yearly rate would go up to buy a TB of server space. Just a thought.

3) how many more ideas are out there that need to be noodled on??

Britton

Old February 5th 16, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 9:09:11 PM UTC-5, SF wrote:
Kevin,
you round up the money, and I'll make it happen.
Bear in mind that your potential contributors will spend 150K on a glider, 120K on a motor home, show up at a contest with both, and then bitch about spending $20 on a meal.

SF

isn't it obvious?? it's because they already spent the rest of their money on the motorhome and glider! XD