No winner yet in 'Doonesbury' Bush search

Old March 1st 04, 01:43 PM
George Z. Bush

John Keeney wrote:
"Michael Wise" wrote in message
In article ,
362436 (Ron) wrote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- A $10,000 reward offered by the
"Doonesbury" comic strip for proof that U.S. President George W.
Bush served in the Alabama National Guard during the Vietnam War
has elicited over 1,300 responses but turned up no credible
evidence yet, the cartoonist said on Friday.

With so much controversy surrounding Bush's National Guard
service, a credible witness would have turned up by now if there
was one, said Garry Trudeau.

"You can be sure some very motivated people have tried to find a
witness who can establish Bush's presence at Dannelly Base
beyond a reasonable doubt," said the creator of the politically
irreverent and satirical daily cartoon. "Anyone who could do so
would almost certainly have surfaced by now."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ush.doonesbury
reut/index.html

In other words, I can not prove my assertion, so I will just take the easy
route, and ask others to disprove it.

With $10,000 as the prize, you would think just one person who can prove
they saw Br. Bush drilling in Alabama would step forward.

Two weeks? First I've heard of it, I wonder how many
Alabama ANG folks from those days haven't heard of it either?

The way some of you talk, this should have been easy money....

Proof to Trudeau? You got to be ****tin' me...
The man is so solidly a democrat that papers run his cartoon
on the editorial pages. Hell, he was so ****ed that Reagan
was President he quit drawing his cartoon and ran off to
France until the term was up.

yet here we are nearly two weeks later and still no takers.

How many people are going to have movies (stills are
too easy to fake) with recognizable shots of GWB that
can be dated and placed sufficiently? How about any other
member of the Alabama ANG during '72? None, unless
somebody happens to have some local news film shot
on the base where the individual shows up in the background.

Hmmmmm

Hmmmm yourself.

I just went and found the thing -the above URL didn't work:
http://doonesbury.msn.com/strip/bush_guard.html
Even if you could "definitively prove that George W. Bush
fulfilled his duty to country" to Trudeau, you don't get the
money. "The winner won't actually receive the reward for himself;
instead we'll be donating $10,000 in his name to the USO."
So there goes that powerful reward for coming forward.

Oh yea, it also says: "If you personally witnessed George W. Bush
reporting for drills at Dannelly Air National Guard Base between
the months of May and November of 1972 we want to hear about it."
But they really don't care since they follow that up a little later with:
"Q: What if I saw Bush, but I can't prove it? Can I get some of the money?
A: No, but if your story's entertaining enough, you may qualify for our
consolation prize, an original Doonesbury strip personally signed by a
top studio intern."

RNC play book: If you hate the message, go after the messenger!

Old March 1st 04, 02:48 PM
t_mark

Worried about authenticity issues? Most digital photo pros can identify
a doctored image. Heck, even the design interns at the magazines I have
worked at can tell. Just put up the photos or any other evidence, and
you get the prize.

Are you even listening to yourself? Is this the depths of stupidity to
which Bush haters have stooped? Seriously, I spent the last few years
hoping against hope for some quality opposition to Bush because I believe we
need a change, but this stuff makes the Clinton-Lewinsky circus look like
British theatre by comparison - and yet so many people can't seem to see how
ridiculous they look cruising down mainstreet on this float.

Old March 1st 04, 07:50 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Emmanuel Gustin" wrote in message
"Ron" wrote in message

In other words, I can not prove my assertion, so I will just take the

easy
route, and ask others to disprove it.

Actually, that is a quite normal procedure in exact science -- It is
almost impossible to prove a theory, but as long as it describes
the available evidence within experimental accuracy, and nobody
has evidence to the contrary, it is accepted. Nothing irrational
about that.

A theory must comply with the scientific method by being demonstrable and
repeatable.

An assertion has no need for any basis.

Of course, one day Einstein was asked how he would have reacted
if an astronomical measurement, set up to prove the general theory
of relativity, had indicated otherwise. He answered "I would have
been very sorry for the gentleman. The theory is right."

Given that astronomical experiments had already proven the theory to be
true, how else was Einstein to feel?

Old March 1st 04, 07:58 PM
pendell

Michael Wise wrote in message news:no-
With $10,000 as the prize, you would think just one person who can prove
they saw Br. Bush drilling in Alabama would step forward.

About 10 years ago or so, there was a guy named Ralph Winston on --
soc.history I think it was -- who offered $10,000 to anyone who could
prove the holocaust happened to him.

No one ever collected. Why? Not because there isn't proof --
mountains and mountains of it -- but simply because none of it was
good enough to persuade his already made-up mind.

I don't know if this is the game Mr. Tredeau is playing, but if it is
it's a sucker's game. Even the White House releasing the President's
personal records isn't, apparently good enough for him. There is none
so blind as those who will not see.

And it's really below Mr. Tredeau (sp?). I wish he'd get off his
political hobbyhorse and actually write something funny once in
awhile.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
Old March 2nd 04, 02:37 AM
Ragnar

362436 (Ron) wrote:

[...]

A: No, but if your story's entertaining enough, you may qualify for our
consolation prize, an original Doonesbury strip personally signed by a
top studio intern."

RNC play book: If you hate the message, go after the messenger!

DNC Playbook: Make baseless accusations. When proof is presented, change
the conditions of the proof.

Old March 2nd 04, 03:33 AM
Tony

"Ron" wrote in message
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- A $10,000 reward offered by the
"Doonesbury" comic strip for proof that U.S. President George W.
Bush served in the Alabama National Guard during the Vietnam War
has elicited over 1,300 responses but turned up no credible
evidence yet, the cartoonist said on Friday.

It all depends on how you define "credible". It is usually
defined as 'something I am willing to believe.' There
are millions of Creationists who say that there is
no 'credible' evidence of evolution.

Old March 2nd 04, 04:45 AM
George Z. Bush

Ragnar wrote:
"George Z. Bush" wrote in message

RNC play book: If you hate the message, go after the messenger!

DNC Playbook: Make baseless accusations. When proof is presented, change
the conditions of the proof.

You guys never get anything right. My copy of the Playbook says: "Don't make
baseless accusations. Present proof and then watch their faces turn red as they
try to think of how to change the subject!"

It works every time. I say something about going after the messenger, and you
immediately start talking about baseless accusations. They're your words, so I
rest my case on them. (^-^)))

George Z.

Old March 2nd 04, 05:54 AM
John Keeney

362436 (Ron) wrote:

[...]

A: No, but if your story's entertaining enough, you may qualify for our
consolation prize, an original Doonesbury strip personally signed by a
top studio intern."

RNC play book: If you hate the message, go after the messenger!

George, that's one of the dumbest things you've ever said here.
There was no attack on Wise. I was pointing out the assumptions
he was working on were false: that someone could claim $10,000
and that it could be easily done if Bush showed up at the Alabama
ANG.
There was no attack on Trudeau, unless calling some one a
democrat is an attack. OK, calling someone a democrat is like
saying they're a retard, but some people are ya' know.

Of 29 lines of text response from me:
2 lines addressed the wide spread knowledge of the award,
5 lines addressed Trudeau's likely impartiality to judge,
6 lines examined the likely hood of photographic evidence,
1 line was in imitation of the past message at the "discovery"
that was to follow in the rest of the message,
2 line correctly located the "contest",
5 lines were used to point out the award doesn't exist
and
the final 8 lines showed that eye witness testimony would
be insufficient. Insufficient, just as was assumed in discussing
Trudeau's judgment in this case.

In balance, of 29 lines you might make some case for
5 lines addressing Trudeau's judgment being an "attack".
14 (5+6) lines directly addressed the difficulty in passing
Trudeau's test.
And 5 line point out there is no actual reward for jumping
through Trudeau's hoops.
At even at the irrational biased worse, only 18% of the
message was "attack" as opposed to 48% being addressed
to why evidence was unlikely to exist.

So, it appears the "RNC play book" calls for the attack to
be out weighed by the substance by at least 2.5 times.

Your message?
One line, 100% dismissal of what you don't want to see.

Old March 2nd 04, 08:22 AM
Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:
"George Z. Bush" wrote in message

RNC play book: If you hate the message, go after the messenger!

DNC Playbook: Make baseless accusations. When proof is presented,

change
the conditions of the proof.

You guys never get anything right. My copy of the Playbook says: "Don't

make
baseless accusations. Present proof and then watch their faces turn red

as they
try to think of how to change the subject!"

It works every time. I say something about going after the messenger, and

you
immediately start talking about baseless accusations. They're your words,

so I
rest my case on them. (^-^)))

Awww, thats so cute. Look how the Demorat attempts to make a joke.

Old March 2nd 04, 01:00 PM
George Z. Bush

362436 (Ron) wrote:

[...]

A: No, but if your story's entertaining enough, you may qualify for our
[...]

My one line comment generates 28 lines of response and/or disclaimer from you,
and you said I was stupid! I think I'll just rest my case while I'm ahead.

George Z.

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Bush shot JFK over what he did to Barbara Ross C. Bubba Nicholson Home Built 2 August 30th 04 03:28 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM