prop for 1600 cc VW

Old August 11th 04, 11:43 PM
dave

Default prop for 1600 cc VW

I am looking for info as to which prop would be suitable for a Pober Pixie
with a 1600 cc VW. The plane has a 53x38 which is too much for the engine.
I believe that is used on an 1835 cc VW, same plane . Any info or leads to
info would be appreciated.

Old August 12th 04, 05:57 AM
Ryan Young

"dave" wrote in message ...
I am looking for info as to which prop would be suitable for a Pober Pixie
with a 1600 cc VW. The plane has a 53x38 which is too much for the engine.
I believe that is used on an 1835 cc VW, same plane . Any info or leads to
info would be appreciated.

IMHO, that is not enough engine for that plane. As near as I can
tell, not many of them flew with VWs of any sort. Most of the
completions I've seen had small Continentals, which tellls me
something.

But consulting my copy of Eric Clutton's "Propeller Making for the
Amateur", he notes "By far the best way of 'designing' a prop is to
copy one that has been used successfully in a similar application."

Going by that rubric, a 54X33, as fitted to a Jodel D.9, a low-winger,
but also with an open cockpit and roughly similar wing area, would be
a good place to start. VP-1s use a 53X36. So it seems you need to
lose at least 2 inches of pitch.

Clutton has suggestions on how to change pitch of built props, so you
may be able to do it yourself. The simplest way to decrease the pitch
of the prop will also reduce the blade area, which will be a good
thing with this smaller engine. Blade area is a much-neglected
variable in chosing the correct prop.

The easiest way to buy this slim, but incredibly valuable volume is
online via http://www.buildersbooks.com/propeller_making.htm, although
you can also buy it direct from the author, who's web site is
http://www.cafes.net/doctordiesel/DDaccessories.htm

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Prop Pitch Question Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 April 25th 04 03:22 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Clup prop Corky Scott Home Built 8 November 15th 03 04:39 AM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM