Weather vs. Combat

Old August 30th 03, 10:16 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

John?]
wrote:
Zoomies always were a bunch of sissies.

Not a whole lot of zoom in a Gooneybird....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old September 1st 03, 08:14 PM
Billy Beck

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

It's not too hard to be passed by cars when in slow flight. What was insulting
to me was flying some photographers around the old Charlotte Motor Speedway (now
Lowes) in a C-182 and being passed by the race cars... and I was running at 75%
power!

hah One day, I got very fascinated watching someone turning
practice laps at Road Atlanta. I don't know what he was driving -- I
was watching from 3500 AGL -- but he was going nearly twice as fast as
I was in the Citabria (7KCAB), and that was a remarkable thing to
consider.

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php
Old September 1st 03, 09:53 PM
Mike Marron

Billy Beck wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

It's not too hard to be passed by cars when in slow flight. What was insulting
to me was flying some photographers around the old Charlotte Motor Speedway (now
Lowes) in a C-182 and being passed by the race cars... and I was running at 75%
power!

hah One day, I got very fascinated watching someone turning
practice laps at Road Atlanta. I don't know what he was driving -- I
was watching from 3500 AGL -- but he was going nearly twice as fast as
I was in the Citabria (7KCAB), and that was a remarkable thing to
consider.

The way I look at it, as long as I'm in a 3-dimensional environment
it doesn't matter how fast they go down there.

-Mike (gravity sucks) Marron

Old September 2nd 03, 02:48 AM
Mike Marron

Per the recent discussion crosswind landings...
Old September 2nd 03, 04:48 PM
Chris Mark

From: "PosterBoy" brauck@bigfoo

You would be interested in "The Thousand-Mile War" (World War Two in
Alaska and the Aleutians") by Brian Garfield.
There are a number of these 'weather' stories. In fact, the weather in the
area impacted on most of the true tales in this remarkable book.

The library had it. Read it at one sitting. *Great* read! Thanks for the
recommendation, and I will add my "second" to it.

Chris Mark
Old September 23rd 03, 04:19 AM
David Lesher

"PosterBoy" writes:

"Chris Mark" wrote in message

Chris...and others interested in the above anecdote...
You would be interested in "The Thousand-Mile War" (World War Two in
Alaska and the Aleutians") by Brian Garfield.
There are a number of these 'weather' stories. In fact, the weather in the
area impacted on most of the true tales in this remarkable book. IMHBUAO.

If that is the book I recall reading a few decades ago, there was
a C-47 that took off backwards.

They were at the upwind end of the runway, but that was OK as they
had a 100Kt headwind. They pointed it into the wind, went to TO
power, and when the tail came up, released the brakes....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 23rd 03, 06:39 AM
Chris Mark

From: David Lesher

You would be interested in "The Thousand-Mile War" (World War Two in
Alaska and the Aleutians") by Brian Garfield.

If that is the book I recall reading a few decades ago, there was
a C-47 that took off backwards.

there are more "I'll be damned!" aviation stories in this book than you can
shake the proverbial stick at. Everybody interested in aviation should do
themselves a favor and read this book.

Chris Mark
Old September 23rd 03, 04:11 PM
Walt BJ

Correction - the hand crank on the old tube ADFs (ARN6 or ARN7) was
the tuning control. The manual loop control was a right-left switch.
Manual (RDF) did work better in bad static than ADF but it was tough
on the ears.
Radio Range - the north quadrant (and thus the south quadrant) was an
N quadrant, logically.
Those antiquated time/distance checks were left over from long-lasting
flights (10-20 hours) in multi-engine prop planes like the Clipper
flying boats crossing the Atlantic. They had some value then (are we
going to have enough gas?) but for every day flying - bah. Still, if
you pick a VOR off at right angles to your track it has some value -
not much, but some. Might help you decide to divert if the winds are
double what the weather guesser told you.
Walt BJ