Enola Gay and all the controversy, discussions, name calling andeverything else it has brought up.

Old December 24th 03, 05:29 AM
Mary Shafer

On 23 Dec 2003 05:07:57 EST, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

I read through most of those threads and I actually might be learning
something from them. ( BTW Art, keep posting your stuff too! I try to
read most all threads unless the subject line looks absolutely boring.
) My question is, there were two A bombs dropped, but only one by the
Enola Gay. Why no controversy over the display of Bockscar? Was there
controversy over Bockscar ever?? I remember one of the statements posed
by the original poster was that "The plane, in fact, differs little from other B-29s and
gains its notoriety only from the deadly and history-altering nature
of its mission." Okay, so what if the Smithsonian didn't display the
Enola Gay, how about Bockscar? How about "The Great Artiste"? Would
that be less controversial?? It flew along side both bomb runs! Why is
it only the Enola Gay that stirs this stuff up? Past and present?

Maybe it's because Bockscar is on display in the USAF museum, on a
USAF base?

Mary

Old December 24th 03, 07:15 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

In that case, why no complaints that it can be easily found on the web.
Why no complaints that any description on the web doesn't make mention
of the deaths it caused from dropping the second bomb? Would these
folks still complain if the Smithsonian put the Enola Gay back in
storage and borrowed the Bockscar for display?

BTW, Mary, I enjoy some of your posts about the SR-71 and whatnot. A
fellow where I work, used to work on / in / around the SR-71 and shares
a few stories when I prompt him. He has a neat photo, amongst a few
others, of him in the cockpit.

Old December 24th 03, 04:57 PM
Alan Minyard

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:22:37 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

"No Spam!" wrote:

Unfortunately, it's a little appreciated fact that half of the world's
population is below average in intelligence

I seem to be having trouble making sense out of this
statement...perhaps you could enlighten me please?...

Well, since the "average" is the mean, half will be
above it and half will be below it. Thus it is
correct to say "half of the world's population is below
average intelligence". How one goes about measuring
"intelligence" is a different kettle of fish.

Al Minyard
Old December 24th 03, 07:07 PM
Indrek Aavisto

"No Spam!" wrote:

Unfortunately, it's a little appreciated fact that half of the world's
population is below average in intelligence

I seem to be having trouble making sense out of this
statement...perhaps you could enlighten me please?...

Well, since the "average" is the mean, half will be
above it and half will be below it. Thus it is
correct to say "half of the world's population is below
average intelligence". How one goes about measuring
"intelligence" is a different kettle of fish.

Al Minyard

Perhaps the confusion arises from the definitions of "mean" and "median" The
terms are not necessarily synonymous. The mean, or average value of a population
is the sum of the values divided by the number of values in the population. The
median of a population of numbers arranged in order of size is the value that
has an equal number of values above it as below it.

Example: the average of the values 2, 3, 6, 8, 100 is (2+4+6+8+100)/5=24
The mean is 6 because there are two numbers more than six, and two numbers less
than six in the sample. Note that the average would also be six if the 100 were
to be replaced by a ten

Cheers

--
Indrek Aavisto
Sudbury, Ontario

"Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult" W. S. Churchill

Old December 24th 03, 08:28 PM

"No Spam!" wrote:

Unfortunately, it's a little appreciated fact that half of the world's
population is below average in intelligence

I seem to be having trouble making sense out of this
statement...perhaps you could enlighten me please?...

Well, since the "average" is the mean, half will be
above it and half will be below it. Thus it is
correct to say "half of the world's population is below
average intelligence". How one goes about measuring
"intelligence" is a different kettle of fish.

Al Minyard

Of course!...that's my point...He's saying it as if it were a bad
thing when it couldn't be any other way. It's like saying "The
average is the average".

He could just as correctly have said "Half of the world's
population is above average in intelligence".

--

-Gord.
Old December 24th 03, 09:07 PM
Merlin Dorfman

Mark and Kim Smith ) wrote:
: This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
: --------------040509020503020207010504

[...]

Bock's Car is at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. It has
nowhere near the "name recognition" of Enola Gay, so it doesn't
draw protestors. Don't know if Great Artiste is still in existence.

Old December 24th 03, 09:10 PM
Merlin Dorfman

: wrote:

[...]

But still very open to the public, if anybody wanted to create
a fuss they certainly could. But this would presume a broader and
deeper knowledge of history than most potential protesters have.

Old December 24th 03, 09:24 PM
Dave Holford

"No Spam!" wrote:

[...]

Criticism is indeed easy; (Churchill loved semicolons).

The Average is the total of the values divided by the number of values -
in the example above it would be 23.8

The Mean is the value midway between the values of the smallest and
largest terms -
in the example above it would be 51

The Median is the middle value of a series arranged in order of size -
in the example above it would be 6

The Mode is the value which occurs most frequently in the set -
in the example above there is no mode.

All of which assumes we are talking arithmetic and not geometry or some
other subject.

Dave
Old December 24th 03, 09:30 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

According to armyairforces.com:

"Note: No photo on the Whiteman AFB web site. Restored and displayed at
Pease Air Force Base, Portsmouth, NH. Moved to Whiteman when Pease
closed. Saw service as an Air-Sea Rescue plane but it's claim to fame
was that it flew alongside "Enola Gay" and dropped instruments to
measure the blast."

Currently at Whiteman AFB.

Old December 24th 03, 09:56 PM
Bob McKellar

[...]