Circular Aircraft Hangar

Old October 6th 05, 07:55 PM
Jeff

Default Circular Aircraft Hangar

I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
for.

Anyone remember seeing something like this?

Jeff

Old October 6th 05, 08:16 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
for.

Anyone remember seeing something like this?

Jeff

Google for aircraft hanger dome

This is the first one.

http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/co...l/hangar_door/

Old October 6th 05, 08:19 PM
Jeff

I saw that one during my search, it is not the one I saw before.

Jeff

Old October 6th 05, 10:09 PM
Jerry

The link below may be helpful.

http://www.armadilloproducts.com/carbuild.html

Jerry in NC

ups.com...

Old October 7th 05, 05:01 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Jerry wrote:

The link below may be helpful.

http://www.armadilloproducts.com/carbuild.html

How many planes fit out a 45'x14" bifold door?
Old October 7th 05, 06:31 AM
Morgans

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote

How many planes fit out a 45'x14" bifold door?

As many as you want, one at a time?

Really, what is the question? One of wingspan? Most any single, twin of 6
seats or less, except sailplanes, would be my estimation, upon looking at
some typical specs.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 6th 05, 08:19 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
for.

Anyone remember seeing something like this?

Jeff

And before I hit send I meant to add that at one time they had a drawing as
you describe but I don't see it on their site now.

Old October 6th 05, 08:26 PM
jerry wass

Jeff wrote:
I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
for.

Anyone remember seeing something like this?

Jeff

No, I Haven't seen one, but building the doors would be a bi**h, also
fittin' the sheet iron roof. then , if land is expensive, how do you
get the ones pointed out the sides,OUT??
Old October 6th 05, 10:24 PM
Montblack

("Jeff" wrote)
I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
for.

http://www.smithairfield.com/postwar.html
"In 1966, a significant innovation in hangar architecture and engineering
took place with the construction of the Carousel Hangar. Clark W. Smith of
Decatur, Indiana, patented the design of the Carousel Hangar in 1965. Mr.
Smith built this prototype four-place hangar in 1966, and it is the only
example of this design ever built."

http://www.armadilloproducts.com/carbuild.html
Carousels for square hangars.

Montblack

Old October 7th 05, 02:03 AM

http://www.smithairfield.com/postwar.html
"In 1966, a significant innovation in hangar architecture and engineering
took place with the construction of the Carousel Hangar. Clark W. Smith of
Decatur, Indiana, patented the design of the Carousel Hangar in 1965. Mr.
Smith built this prototype four-place hangar in 1966, and it is the only
example of this design ever built."

I saw some hangars very much like these at the Monterey CA airport some
years
ago. IIRC they were scheduled to be torn down (they were rather
decrepit).

David Johnson