ANR Headsets suitable for heli pilots in training?

Old September 11th 03, 10:57 AM
Kill Bill

Default ANR Headsets suitable for heli pilots in training?

Hi all,

I am a student pilot, working on my PPL-H right now, and I have 6 hours
in the R-22 so far.

I have considered purchasing a pair of Active Noise Reduction headsets,
Bose or Sennheiser etc (haven't compared them yet). However, the chief
flight instructor at my school says that he doesn't recommend ANR sets
for trainee pilots, as it is important to learn to listen to and
recognise the different sounds emanating from the engine as well as the
rotor when flying. He feels that ANR Headsets might get in the way of
that.

What do you guys think about this? Are ANR headsets something only
experienced heli pilots should use, will they get in the way of learning
to "read" the sounds coming from a helicopter in flight?

Your views or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John D.
Old September 11th 03, 01:00 PM
Dan Thompson

I have 300 hrs in R22s using my Lightspeed 20K ANRs. You can still hear
plenty pf what you need to, believe me.

Old September 12th 03, 06:12 AM
Stu Fields

I used a Bose ANR in a helo with a rotor speed alarm that was a horn
between the seats. Never did hear the thing and I'm not that good with
rotor speed management in all realms of flight.
Stu Fields
"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message
Kill Bill wrote in news:nospam-
:

I have considered purchasing a pair of Active Noise Reduction headsets,
Bose or Sennheiser etc (haven't compared them yet). However, the chief
flight instructor at my school says that he doesn't recommend ANR sets
for trainee pilots, as it is important to learn to listen to and
recognise the different sounds emanating from the engine as well as the
rotor when flying. He feels that ANR Headsets might get in the way of
that.

What do you guys think about this? Are ANR headsets something only
experienced heli pilots should use, will they get in the way of learning
to "read" the sounds coming from a helicopter in flight?

I think he's full of crap, & hasn't used an ANR headset. You can hear
engine and rotor sounds just fine. That said, I don't use an ANR headset
because I think it's a waste of money in a helicopter, at least in a
turbine. Most of the noise is high-frequency stuff in a turbine, and the
ANR headset can't deal with that, and some of them have lower NRR for
passive use (and it's passive at high frequencies) than do many regular
headsets. I've used ANR, but went back to a custom-built passive. YMMV.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old September 15th 03, 02:48 PM
Davdirect

I am not sure I totally agree with your instructor, though being able to hear
and get a feel for the machine is important. Personally I like the Flightcom
Denali. I think it sounds pretty good, and more importantly it has a good fit.
Don't feel like I've had my head in a vice when I'm done flying.
Dave
Old September 15th 03, 04:05 PM
Jim Eli

Has anyone seen anything negative about ANR headsets? Something about
doubling the frequency of excitations?

Old September 16th 03, 02:17 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Jim Eli" wrote in
ink.net:

Has anyone seen anything negative about ANR headsets? Something about
doubling the frequency of excitations?

Maybe I should get one. The older I get, the more difficult it is to get
excited, so doubling the frequency would be a good thing, no?

--
Regards,

Stan