Multi engine fuel crossfeed question (Duchess twin)

Old January 14th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
akiley

Default Multi engine fuel crossfeed question (Duchess twin)

Hi All, I'm working on my multi rating in a Beech Duchess. I'm
curious about an item that doesn't seem well covered in the POH and
elsewhere for that matter.

What if you loose one engine at altitude, allowing plenty of time to
try to fix. You determine that you ran the right tank dry of fuel.
According to the fuel diagram, you should be able to run both engines
off one tank. The fuel line exits each tank and splits: one going to
the opposite fuel selector and one going to the closest engines fuel
selector.

If this is doable, why is it not talked about more? It's not a "fix"
option on the checklist and not discussed in the text of the POH.
Crossfeed is considered an emergency operation according to the POH,
and also "level flight only". Could this be why? Possible fuel
starvation on the crossfeeding engine from maneuvering to land, where
it may be safer to feather and secure the dead engine and do your one
shot landing.

.... akiley
Old January 14th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

akiley wrote in news:2e7dbffb-645c-49b6-9687-
:

[...]

I have no idea what you're asking here. If you've lost an engine, why
would you be needing to run both off one tank?

Now, if you mean that you still have a long way to go and that you'll run
one dry before you get where you are going, then , yes, that's what it's
for.
You also want to alternate a bit to keep any imbalance from getting
crazy. I haven't flown a duchss n a long time, but I don't remember there
being anything too strange about the crossfeed arrangements. But if you
lost one there's nothing stopping you from crossfeeding from the oppostie
tank. Likelywise, if you have a leak in one tank, there's no reason I can
see you can't run both engines off of the remaining tank.
Sounds like they are (quite rightfully) discouraging 2recreational
crossfeeding" that some guys do just to "balance em out perfectly" This
usually leads to a massive imbalance, or even worse, having both engines
flame out due to ou getting distracted and forgetting.

It happens.

Bertie
Old January 14th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
akiley

On Jan 14, 3:33 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

In essence, I was asking if there was any reason not to run both
engines off one tank. In singles, "switch tanks" always seems to be
part of the emergency checklist for a rough engine, yet in the
Duchess POH (and a Seneca I for that matter) "crossfeed" isn't
mentioned as a diagnostic step where it seems like is should be. I
was wondering if I had missed something.

... Akiley
Old January 14th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

akiley wrote in
:

[...]

OK, if I'm following you, you're suggesting that you've lost an engine
for no apparent reason. You decide that it might be a fuel problem, so
you want to feed off the tank on the opposite side to see if that fixes
it.
Sounds like a good idea to me. You would have to be very, very careful
that it wasn't a fuel line on the failed side that caused the problem in
the first place, otherwise you could lose all the fuel. That's what
happened to that A330 that deadsticked into the Azores. But it sounds
like a reasonable thng to do if that is what you suspect the problem is.
Just make sure you do it slowly and deliberately. you don't want to end
up gliding due to a poor selection.
You might also consider, on the day, the wisdom of relighting an engine
with a fuel problem. It's all a trade off of various risks. Wx, how far
you have to go vs how much gas you got left, that sort of stuff. If you
don't really need it to get where you are going, it might be better not
to take the risk. If you are in the middle of a mountain range and you
need it to keep your altitude above MORA at night, different story. Not
that you should be there anyway.
Manufacturers, the FAA and schools will steer you towards the checklists
and procedures for some very good reasons. Experience with some of these
situations has produced a pattern of th emost likely causes and the
results of getting too creative with the systems. If they recommend you
do something a certain way, do it that way. But, if you 're off the
page, knowing how the system works will enable you to analyse the
problem with a good chance of a solution.

Bertie
Old January 14th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
akiley

On Jan 14, 4:52 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
akiley wrote :

[...]

Thanks for the good point. Remember in the original post I made a
scenario where I exhausted the fuel in the right tank. Fuel pressure
and quantity gauges confirmed this. So I decide to try to crossfeed
from the good engine side to the engine that I lost due to fuel
starvation. But good point. What if I lost all the fuel in that tank
because of some problems like a leak that may effect the full tank if
I crossfeed.

.... akiley
Old January 14th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

akiley wrote in
:

On Jan 14, 4:52 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
akiley wrote
innews:5c24ef75-4385-4897-a75d-

om:

[...]

If you exhausted the fuel in one tank with a simple system like a
Duchess or Seneca has, it can only be because there wasn't much to begin
with ( you wouldn't do that, right) or because it's spilling out
somewhere it shouldn't. If you can see it coming out of the tank ( left
the cap off? ) then you might have a case for x-feeding. If not, it
might be leaking downstream of where the other tank joins into the
failed side's fuel system.
One other reason you might not be getting fuel is a failed fuel pump.
Maybe both the elec and mech pump is gone on one side. The elec pump on
th eoposite side should be able to pressurise the fuel system on the
opposite side. It did in at least one airplane I have flown. Very
unlikely, I know, but it could be and this one has happened to me once
in a twin Beech on the ground.
Old January 15th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
akiley

On Jan 14, 6:37 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
akiley wrote :

[...]

I seem to recall some twins had problems with fuel lines chafing,
which cased the fuel line to rupture draining the tank into the wing
area behind the engine somewhere. Maybe you wouldn't want to try to
restart that failed engine using crossfeed! Also, can't a clogged
fuel tank vent cause a vacuum, then fuel starvation?

So maybe the aircraft manufacturer doesn't want to suggest the option
of restarting a failed engine by crossfeeding from the opposite engine
because: It might be dangerous in some cases like you mention. Fuel
leaking internally. Maybe securing that failed engine, which turns
off fuel and electricity on that side is a safer option.

.... akiley
Old January 15th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

akiley wrote in
:

I seem to recall some twins had problems with fuel lines chafing,
which cased the fuel line to rupture draining the tank into the wing
area behind the engine somewhere.

Haven't heard of it but I'd be surprised if it hadn't happened
somewhere, sometime.

Maybe you wouldn't want to try to
restart that failed engine using crossfeed! Also, can't a clogged
fuel tank vent cause a vacuum, then fuel starvation?

Yep!

So maybe the aircraft manufacturer doesn't want to suggest the option
of restarting a failed engine by crossfeeding from the opposite engine
because: It might be dangerous in some cases like you mention. Fuel
leaking internally. Maybe securing that failed engine, which turns
off fuel and electricity on that side is a safer option.

Well, they did provide you with a crossfeed! You do what you have to do,
but you'd want to be sure of what it is you're doing.
If you needed the engine to keep you from hitting somethng, the ground,
for instance, then you don't have a lot of choice.
So it all depends. You might know for sure why it shut down. Hard to say
even when you;re sitting there next to the engine.
In jets it's something we might consider a bit more seriously since they
can flame out just from very heavy rain, for instance ( shouldn't,
though) We're trained to attempt a restart if there's no apparent damage
to the engine, but we're not trained to try and see if fuel from the
opposite tank will fix it. If the tank on that side has run dry, I'd be
just as wary of a restart never mind one from the other tank as I would
in a light twin for the same reason you stated. But if I knew why the
fuel was gone and it wasn't dangerous to restart and I was very sure of
that, well then, sure, I'd attempt a restart and I would use the fuel
from the opposite tank.

Bertie
Old January 15th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
akiley

On Jan 14, 11:07 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote :

[...]

Good points, I think I have a better understanding of the situation
now.

Thanks ... akiley
Old January 15th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

akiley wrote in
:

On Jan 14, 11:07 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote
innews:f4c009c3-4d05-46f4-9ceb-c54f686f33d7

@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.c
om:

[...]

Kay!

Probably more than you wanted to know, but it's hard to tell exactly
what someone wants to know here!

Bertie