OSH: Icon A5 presentation

Old August 2nd 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default OSH: Icon A5 presentation

On 2008-08-02, Martin Hotze wrote:
Jay Maynard schrieb:
I don't care about the car-design, but I like the modern and european look.
The "modern, European look" is intended to look like a Porsche or BMW. Car.

this is OK for me; I don't like the Cessna et-al desgins.

Form follows function. ICON got it backwards.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)

It has an AOA indicator front and center, great tool for landing (alighting?) on glass smooth water...
Old August 2nd 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Little Luke

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 10:53:58 GMT, Jay Maynard wrote:

Too bad it's aggressively VFR-only and, as far as I could tell, completely
non-upgradeable - with a nonstandard instrument layout, *tiny* engine
gauges, one com radio, no nav radios, and a mode C transponder, and that's
it.

It suffers from a 2008 version of the 1940s tendency to try to make airplane
panels look like automobile dashboards. It didn't work then, and it doesn't
work now. Airplanes are not cars, and shouldn't try to act like them.

Outside of that, you ****ing loved it, right?
--
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6glxm9
Old August 3rd 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Maynard" wrote

Who says an LSA has to be VFR-only? Mine's not.

That brings an interesting subject to mind.

If an aircraft is certified through the LSA process instead of the more
rigorous part 23 certification process, and the LSA is VFR only, can one of
these LSA certified planes fly in IMC or IFR?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 3rd 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-08-03, Morgans wrote:
If an aircraft is certified through the LSA process instead of the more
rigorous part 23 certification process, and the LSA is VFR only, can one of
these LSA certified planes fly in IMC or IFR?

The POH, and probably a panel placard, will say "VFR only".

Is it a violation to operate an aircraft in violation of the POH?
Old August 3rd 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

On 2008-08-02, Martin Hotze wrote:
Jay Maynard schrieb:
this is OK for me; I don't like the Cessna et-al desgins.
Form follows function. ICON got it backwards.

what's not OK for you out of the ICOM functions? IMHO it is a pure
recreational "tool", comparable to a quad, or a jetski(?), etc.; the
main "use" is for having fun, flying for a $100 burger, ...

If I'm going to spend $150K on an airplane, it's going to be used, and
useful, for more than just flying around for fun. It's a transportation
tool.

The A5 is aimed at the guy who'd buy a Cigarette boat, not at the pilot
who
wants to go places.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
AMD Zodiac CH601XLi N55ZC (got it!)

Jay, I'm solidly in your camp with my preferences for what an airplane
should be and do, and for its need to be easily ugardable in the future; but
your "Cigarette boat" comment suggests to me that the ICON A5, complete with
its "all sizzle, no steak" marketing hype, might be a financial success--if
they can keep the project on schedule.

Just my $0.02 :-(
Peter

Old August 3rd 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

On 2008-08-03, Morgans wrote:
If an aircraft is certified through the LSA process instead of the more
rigorous part 23 certification process, and the LSA is VFR only, can one of
these LSA certified planes fly in IMC or IFR?

The POH, and probably a panel placard, will say "VFR only".

Is it a violation to operate an aircraft in violation of the POH?
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
AMD Zodiac CH601XLi N55ZC (got it!)

LSAs can be night & IFR equipped, and if so, then a properly rated pilot can fly it IMC at night...
Old August 3rd 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jay Maynard" wrote

Who says an LSA has to be VFR-only? Mine's not.

That brings an interesting subject to mind.

If an aircraft is certified through the LSA process instead of the more
rigorous part 23 certification process, and the LSA is VFR only, can one
of these LSA certified planes fly in IMC or IFR?
--
Jim in NC

Interesting question. My best guess is that it would not be permitted to
fly under IFR at night; because the Rotax 912 is not certified to a standard
compatible with night IFR. Day IFR is another issue, and one on which I can
not even guess.

Peter

Old August 3rd 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Peter Dohm" wrote:

My best guess is that it would not be permitted to
fly under IFR at night; because the Rotax 912 is not certified to a standard
compatible with night IFR.

huh? What's the night IFR standard for a certified engine?

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old August 3rd 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote

Jay, I'm solidly in your camp with my preferences for what an airplane
should be and do, and for its need to be easily ugardable in the future;
but your "Cigarette boat" comment suggests to me that the ICON A5,
complete with its "all sizzle, no steak" marketing hype, might be a
financial success--if they can keep the project on schedule.

Yes, and avoid spending all of the startup (investment) money before the
project becomes self sustaining.

I don't know about everyone else, but it about breaks my heart to see good
people bring a project (like designing and marketing an airplane or jet)
almost to the finish line, then run out of money. Then, the choice is to
sell the company and lose control, and see your dream brought to completion
by someone else with the money to finish up the last 10% of the job, or give
up.

Sad, but it seems to happen far too often in aviation.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 3rd 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

On 2008-08-03, Morgans wrote:
If an aircraft is certified through the LSA process instead of the more
rigorous part 23 certification process, and the LSA is VFR only, can one
of
these LSA certified planes fly in IMC or IFR?

The POH, and probably a panel placard, will say "VFR only".

Is it a violation to operate an aircraft in violation of the POH?

But what if it is equipped to fly IFR? Can one be certified by LSA instead
of part 23?
--
Jim in NC

Icon A-5 gatt[_5_] Piloting 4 June 15th 08 03:31 PM
National Icon Dies Suddenly Shiver Rotorcraft 0 April 17th 06 12:22 AM
F.S. NEW ICON A4 [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 06:33 AM
F.S. NEW ICON A4 [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 06:33 AM