Metallic paint's effects on internal antennas

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 29th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sliker[_2_]

Default Metallic paint's effects on internal antennas

I've got several buried antennas in my composite homebuilt. A com
antenna in the leading edge of the rudder, a VOR antenna in the outer
wing, and a com antenna along the side of the fuselage. One thing
occured to me was that if I paint my plane with a metallic paint,
would the metallic particles in the paint block radio reception?
I know the folks at the old Stoddard-Hamilton said after they built
the NASA funded, lightning protected Glasair 3, they had to move all
the antennas outside. And they also said they couldn't believe how
much better all the radios worked than before using buried antennas in
their original factory G-III. They also said the external antennas
cost them 10 knots in speed. Not insignificant. So even in an airplane
that's all composite, apparently buried antenna's aren't ideal. And
now I worry if I use metallic paint, things might get worse. I'm just
so sick of white airplanes, I'm not going that route. Maybe a light
gray instead of metallic silver as planned, hmm..........

Metallic paint and composite antenna signal strength firstflight Home Built 23 July 26th 05 09:10 PM
Antennas Terry Home Built 3 April 24th 05 06:42 PM
Antennas Terry Home Built 3 April 22nd 05 03:14 AM
Hello, kingbee, Do not release, its the internal rls! Frank Laczko Home Built 0 February 13th 04 06:59 PM
Tost internal Winch HL Falbaum Soaring 3 September 24th 03 02:31 PM