Garmin 396 Weather avoidance..

Old June 13th 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 396 Weather avoidance..

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:24:27 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

Dan wrote:
For those of you with a Garmin 396, how do you avoid dangerous weather,
avoid yellow and steer clear of the lightning strike indications? I am
considering the purchase of one and am wondering how to use the info
safely, but yet with the maximum utility.

I just want to add to those who suggested getting your feet wet a little at a
time and using the 396 information conservatively until you have some experience
with it:

The 396 I think still comes with the automobile kit, so on a day with some
active weather you can stick the 396 in your car and drive around looking for
interesting conditions. Its' a lot cheaper and safer to experiment in your car.

Not necessiarily if you go storm chasing like I often do. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dave

Old June 14th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Roger wrote:

Not necessiarily if you go storm chasing like I often do. :-))

You must live in OK or KS?

That sport looks very interesting provided a reasonable amount of
caution is used.
Old June 14th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:45:32 -0700, Sam Spade
wrote:

Roger wrote:

Not necessiarily if you go storm chasing like I often do. :-))

You must live in OK or KS?

Just in the plain old lower peninsular of Michigan.
We get quite a few, but typically they only last 5 to 10 minutes which
means by the time the warning goes out they usually have also. Most
of the ones we get are on the order of F-2s or so, but way back in the
50's we had the F-5 Beecher Tornado on the north side of Flint.

That sport looks very interesting provided a reasonable amount of
caution is used.

That's one of the reasons those of us who go out on the road like
timely RADAR updates and make it a practice to try and stay behind a
storm. There are a lot of trees even along the main roads so
visibility can often be limited right in your direction of interest.

You lean to drive with one eye on the sky, one on the road, and one
looking for cover...just in case.:-))

Old June 14th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Roger wrote:

That's one of the reasons those of us who go out on the road like
timely RADAR updates and make it a practice to try and stay behind a
storm. There are a lot of trees even along the main roads so
visibility can often be limited right in your direction of interest.

You lean to drive with one eye on the sky, one on the road, and one
looking for cover...just in case.:-))

There was a great program in Hi Def TV about it last year. These were
pros who had a portable Nexrad type radar on a trailer they were pulling
about north TC, OK, and KS.