Who's Boss?

Old December 21st 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Who's Boss?

Perfect. Thanks.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..

Something like: "210BA requests Gugwa then Hawkins 16"?

More like "210BA proceeding to Hawkins via GUGWA."

Old December 21st 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Well . . . I want to be in contact with them because they are trying to
manage the airspace. I don't want to be rude. I know at least two of these
controllers personally. Sort of like knocking on the door before walking in,
but I want to leave if they start making me do something I don't want to.
The problem is that once you accept the invitation to the party, it's rude
to start trying to changing the itinerary. On the other hand, they know me.
I am based there. I am friends with a couple of the controllers. For me to
fly so close to their airspace unannounced is bad manners. My controller
friends oblige, but there are a few guys who don't seem to give a rat's ass.
Anyway, there's no real answer, but seeking it has enhanced my understanding
of the process. Thanks.

I'm reminded of a time I was flying through very busy Tampa airpace. The
controller wanted to vector me 30 miles offshore into an icing layer and got
irritated when I declined. It led me to coin the phrase, "Request vectors to
a less busy controller."

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..

Rather than shoot the approach as published, I guess I could just program
the GPS 16 with vectors and do my own vectors. This would allow me to
descend slighly to the west of the Class C airspace, then intercept the
GPS or ILS glideslope and lateral guidance as I got closer to the
airport. (I have a healthy respect for the black hole illusion.) As far
as the controller is concerned, I'm just shooting my own visual approach.
If he interferes, I just cancel following an squak VFR.

Why contact ATC in the first place you're going to refuse the service?

Old December 21st 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
. ..

Well . . . I want to be in contact with them because they are trying to
manage the airspace. I don't want to be rude. I know at least two of these
controllers personally. Sort of like knocking on the door before walking
in, but I want to leave if they start making me do something I don't want
to. The problem is that once you accept the invitation to the party, it's
rude to start trying to changing the itinerary. On the other hand, they
know me. I am based there. I am friends with a couple of the controllers.
For me to fly so close to their airspace unannounced is bad manners. My
controller friends oblige, but there are a few guys who don't seem to give
a rat's ass. Anyway, there's no real answer, but seeking it has enhanced
my understanding of the process. Thanks.

You want to be in contact with them because they are trying to manage the
airspace, but if they attempt to manage the airspace by assigning a heading
or altitude to you you're going to decline and leave the frequency?

Old December 21st 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

So how would you phrase that? "210BA is cancelling flight following and
squawking VFR"?

Something like "210BA is terminating Class C services and squawking VFR"
would be better. You do realize you're getting more than flight following
here, don't you?

Old December 23rd 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I think this is that simulator guy (manix?) rising once again from Hell.

As jaded as you are, Steve, why are you so kind to this guy?