(sorta OT) Free Ham Radio Course

Old January 18th 05, 11:43 PM
Don Tuite

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:42:01 -0500, Dave Butler wrote:

Don Tuite wrote:
Let it be said that you can fairly quickly learn the code well enough
to pass the 5 wpm ham test, but you really need to spend a few months
on the air working people on CW before you'll have internalized the
code well enough to reliably indentify VORs under pressure.

I disagree. I am a walking counterexample.

Sorry. I left off the YMMV.

Don
Old January 18th 05, 11:52 PM
Matt Whiting

Don Tuite wrote:

Let it be said that you can fairly quickly learn the code well enough
to pass the 5 wpm ham test, but you really need to spend a few months
on the air working people on CW before you'll have internalized the
code well enough to reliably indentify VORs under pressure.

What is the transmission rate of the VOR ID?

Matt
Old January 19th 05, 12:13 AM
Rich S.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Don Tuite wrote:

Let it be said that you can fairly quickly learn the code well enough
to pass the 5 wpm ham test, but you really need to spend a few months
on the air working people on CW before you'll have internalized the
code well enough to reliably indentify VORs under pressure.

What is the transmission rate of the VOR ID?

Matt

Without penicillin?

Rich S.

Old January 19th 05, 01:14 AM

Now Jim will have to offer a cheap HF kit so we can all practice or
relearn our keying skills.
A nice cheap and dirty 80 or 40 meters rig would work.

Dave
wd2aaf

Old January 19th 05, 01:30 AM
Bob Korves

"Scott" wrote in message
Of course it's legal. It just has to be separate from any comm radio
gear installed in the plane. Of course, this is only true in an
experimental unless a 337 is completed and approved. But, since this is
a homebuilt newsgroup, no 337 required.

Right?

On a second note, handheld radio equipment solves all the above
mentioned problems...

Scott
N0EDV

Sailplane pilots, hang glider pilots, and paraglider pilots have all
discovered the use of 2 meter ham radios to use for chatting with others and
not congesting the air to air frequencies. They use hand held units,
including one from Vertex Standard that is VHF aircraft, VOR navigation, and
2 meter ham all in one tiny hand held package. I understand that they are
legal to use in airborne aircraft with a tech license.

One of the advantages to using the 2 meter radios is that if one lands out
in the boonies, away from cell towers and other aircraft traffic, one can
use repeaters installed on mountain tops to send their distress message to
distant receivers. I further understand that these repeaters are manned at
all times, which can be a big help in an emergency.

I am not a ham and am only posting what I know second hand. Please correct
me if I have made mistakes.

I don't think this thread is too far off topic and I, for one, appreciate
all that Jim Weir has done over the years to help keep flying less costly
for those of us not born with silver spoons in our mouths.

I'll look at the study site myself.
-Bob Korves

Old January 19th 05, 03:32 AM
Slip'er

How timely! I purchased a Vertex Standard VXA-700 with the 2m band and have
been wanting to get my ham license so that I can use it. The Palomar
repeater covers most of San Diego county too. How nice of you, thanks!

Carl

With the crossbreeding of amateur (ham) radio operators and pilots being
something on the order of 25%, this is only slightly OT.

Old January 19th 05, 03:44 AM
Slip'er

There is free software that you can download. It is quite good although I
haven't spent the time needed to get past 3 characters....

It is a Koch method trainer...

http://www.g4fon.co.uk/
http://www.qsl.net/g4fon/CW%20Trainer.htm

Old January 19th 05, 03:58 AM
Wayne Paul

Bob,

Are 2 meter rigs really common in California/Nevada base sailplane? I have
only been involved in the sport for about 10 years. I believe that I am the
only local pilot that is a Ham. Most of the hang glider pilots I know use 2
meters to keep in contact with their crews. This requires both the pilot
and chase a crew member to have a "ticket."

On occasion when flying in mountain regions of Idaho without cell phone
coverage I have carried my 2 meter hand-held.

What percentage of the sailplane pilots flying in the mountains and deserts
of California and Nevada are hams?

Please don't think that I am challenging your experience. I am simply
curious about what frequencies to use and how much traffic I will hear when
I participate in the annual trek to Austin, NV this summer.

Wayne
W7ADK
Schreder HP-14 (N990) "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old January 19th 05, 10:40 PM
Matt Whiting

Don Tuite wrote:

Let it be said that you can fairly quickly learn the code well enough
to pass the 5 wpm ham test, but you really need to spend a few months
on the air working people on CW before you'll have internalized the
code well enough to reliably indentify VORs under pressure.

What is the transmission rate of the VOR ID?

Matt

Without penicillin?

Don't quit your day job. :-)

Matt
Old January 20th 05, 01:18 AM
Bob Korves

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Wayne,
Oops! I just noticed that we are cross posting this thread. I will only
send this to RAH.

Many of the private glider pilots at Minden, NV use the 2 meter radios due
to the extreme congestion on 123.3 and 123.5 in the Reno area. I fly out of
Truckee, CA and we chat on .3 and .5 (and catch hell, rightfully, from other
users). The people that use 2 meters say it is great for air to air use --
plenty of frequencies and little congestion. I am not aware of usage other
than gliders flying out of Minden, but there might well be...

Again, I am not a ham and am only repeating what I have heard from others.
I don't know if glider pilots elsewhere use 2 meter radios.

Now we are really getting off topic. If you want to continue this thread,
lets go to RAS.
-Bob