Standard Instrument Procedures...published in text form?

Old February 18th 04, 06:27 PM

Default Standard Instrument Procedures...published in text form?

All,

I was once told that instrument procedures (i.e. approaches) are published
in text form, and then rendered into NOS charts (and a similar process for
Jeppesen).

1) Is this true?
2) If so, is this "raw" data available to the public somewhere? I'm looking
for something similar to the ATA-100 databases which can be purchased from
the FAA.
3) How did NOS wind up producing the charts anyway?

Thanks in advance,
mark

Old February 18th 04, 06:50 PM
Greg Esres

instrument procedures (i.e. approaches) are published in text form,
and then rendered into NOS charts
1) Is this true?

Sort of. They aren't "published" exactly. The Flight Procedures
Office fills out several forms that describe the instrument
approaches.

If so, is this "raw" data available to the public somewhere?

Not really. They're on file at the regional Flight Procedures
Offices. They can let you look at copies, or they may even fax copies
to you. (I have several.)

Old February 19th 04, 01:11 AM
Allan9

IIRC FAA Form 8020-5 is what FAA ends up sending out for publication. I'll
see if I can find an old one

Old February 19th 04, 03:41 AM

After reading a few posts and searching around some more I found the forms:

8260-3
8260-4
8260-5

Now I guess I'll just call the regional Flight Standards office and see if I
can get a few. I'm surprised they're not archived online somewhere. Oh
well.

thanks for the help,
mark

Old February 19th 04, 12:37 PM

The source document is the Form 8260-3 or 8260-5. Those are actually individual
amendments to FAR Part 97, and are published by reference in the federal
register. They are available for inspection at any regional flight procedures
office. Jeppesen, and others, subscribe to them. I suspect the subscription is
expensive. The adjunct forms, such as the 8260-2, which is issued for each
intersection, VOR, and waypoint is converted into electronic form and the chart
makers use that elecronic compilation for all the fixes, holding patterns, and
waypoints.

Whenever new or revised procedures are in regulatory coordination, which means
the public can review and comment about them, they are on AVN-100 procedures
website at:

http://avn.faa.gov/acifp.asp

They have all the forms there, including the 8260-9, record of controlling
obstacles for each segment, which are not released to chart makers. They also
have color terps maps of the protected airspace, although they are not easy to
read.

Old February 20th 04, 02:22 AM
Craig Davidson

All,

I was once told that instrument procedures (i.e. approaches) are published
in text form, and then rendered into NOS charts (and a similar process for
Jeppesen).

1) Is this true?
2) If so, is this "raw" data available to the public somewhere? I'm

looking
for something similar to the ATA-100 databases which can be purchased from
the FAA.
3) How did NOS wind up producing the charts anyway?

Thanks in advance,
mark

I believe you can download (ftp) the text files from the following web site:

http://www1.faa.gov/ats/ata/ata100/120/stdatafiles.html

Old February 20th 04, 03:08 PM

That site gives you the fixes and navaids (and a bunch of other stuff), but
not the actual procedures. As others have posted, these are published via
the 8260 forms and appear to only be online during a review period. One can
apparently subscribe to receive the various forms every two weeks but I
imagine that's quite expensive.

Thanks for all the answers.

mark

nk.net...

Old February 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Kyler Laird

One can
apparently subscribe to receive the various forms every two weeks but I
imagine that's quite expensive.

I'm willing to add it to my public collection if it's not *too*
expensive. Anyone have details?

--kyler

Old February 23rd 04, 01:02 AM
smackey

All,

I was once told that instrument procedures (i.e. approaches) are published
in text form, and then rendered into NOS charts (and a similar process for
Jeppesen).

1) Is this true?
2) If so, is this "raw" data available to the public somewhere? I'm looking
for something similar to the ATA-100 databases which can be purchased from
the FAA.
3) How did NOS wind up producing the charts anyway?

Thanks in advance,
mark

Just curious...why would you want to see the approaches in text form?