This day in 1944: Bastogne resupplied

Old December 23rd 03, 03:09 AM
ArtKramr

Default This day in 1944: Bastogne resupplied

We flew 2 missions that day. The sky was black with our planes. The USAAC was
flying 11,000 missions a day. And the sky was packed with what seemed to be
hundreds of C-47's dropping thousands of cargo chutes into Bastogne loaded with
food, ammo, clothing, weapons and medicines. We later ;learned that 0ver 90% of
the chutes dropped were sucessfuly recovered by 101st forces. A remarkable
tribute ot he accuracy of the C-47's. The battle was far from over, but at
least the 101st now had what they needed to fight on. But Christmas would be a
K ration day. We might take a moment this Christmas and think of those men so
many years ago as we enjoy our Turkeys with all the fixins. Iron men in harms
way.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old December 23rd 03, 04:21 AM
Ed Majden

"ArtKramr"

[...]

I really enjoy reading your stories about the war years. I wish more
veterans would do the same. It won't be very many more years where much of
this first hand information will no longer be available. This era in our
history should never be forgotten. Thank you for your efforts.
Ed

Old December 23rd 03, 04:37 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: This day in 1944: Bastogne resupplied
From: "Ed Majden"
Date: 12/22/03 8:21 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr"

[...]

Thanks for the kind words Ed. Actually all posts up to this point got little or
no responses and I have the feeling that there is very little interest in this
subject on this NG. I had planned on stopping with this last post. But with
your encouraging post, I think I might continue a while longer . Thanks again.
I appreciate your coming forward.

Best Regards,

Old December 23rd 03, 06:38 AM
Adrian

Please don't stop. I've read every post of yours for a couple of years now
even if I don't comment on them

ExpatEgghead

Old December 23rd 03, 10:27 AM
Gunnar

Please continue !

There is simply not much to say really. It speaks for it self...

Gunnar

"ArtKramr" skrev i melding

Old December 23rd 03, 02:27 PM
MichaelJP

[...]

Let me add to that, please don't stop posting.

And there must be many more like me who read but don't post very often.

- Michael

Old December 23rd 03, 03:15 PM
MLenoch

I too enjoy these stories.
Thank you,
VL
(Can't wait to hear about your recollection of the Windmill Girls "Revudeville"
with Vivian Van Damm visiting the base............!!)