Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam

Old July 13th 04, 08:38 AM
D. Strang

"Bill Shatzer" wrote

In any case, if I recall correctly, it was freakin' -impossible-
to wound oneself by firing an M-79 round "too close".

According to his crew:

They were shooting at rocks along the shore, and he got hit by
a piece of shrapnel (a sliver). Lucky *******.

Pretty typical stuff, that killed a lot of troops who weren't so lucky.
I know four guys in two tours, who have their name on the wall, who
killed themselves doing stuff this stupid.

Old July 13th 04, 10:12 AM
Cub Driver

I've seen a lot of Westerns, and John Wayne war movies, and Platoon
is near the top, mainly for the script, and for the acting. It probably
has as much to do with Vietnam, as John Wayne's had to do about
D-Day or the Pacific.

But at least John Wayne never thought of himself as the Messiah. The
only image I carried away from Platoon is the guy with his arms
outstretched: oooh, look, daddy! Jesus on the Cross! What clever
symbolism! This much be a very deep movie!

My own Viet picks: We Were Soldiers, Go Tell the Spartans, and Full
Metal Jacket. The first is one of the great war movies, the second was
based on a book I wrote, and the third is a classic bang! bang! film.
I enjoyed each of them as much the second time around.

Hamburger Hill had its moments, but I sometimes forgot what war it was
supposed to be. I probably won't see it the second time.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old July 13th 04, 10:29 AM
Cub Driver

One, Bush learned to fly in the military at government expense, did
not complete his assigned commitment, and flew, if I understand ,
fourteen months after UPT

I'm glad you put in the qualification, because clearly you don't
understand. Bush learned to fly in a bit more than a year of full-time
service, 1968-69, was an active duty pilot until his unit transitioned
to a different aircraft in 1972, and fulfilled his military obligation
in every respect, serving six and one-half years in total, or somewhat
more than two years of active duty for training, as it is termed.
www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm

Old July 13th 04, 10:32 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:45:07 -0700, "NW_PILOT"
wrote:

If there is an election
this year I will be very surprised.

Oh yes, I forgot. The black helicopters will swoop in and take over
Washington. Is that before or after the draft is reinstated?

Control K!

(I find, interestingly enough, that kill-filing these people almost
always results in 1 message being deleted. Evidently they are fakes.
Take a look at steven's email address, for example.)

Old July 13th 04, 10:40 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:56:53 -0600, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

Qualifying after UPT in an operational
single-seat jet takes, on average another eight to ten months and then
becoming operationally ready takes another six months.

That seems to be about right in prexy's case. Bush was on full-time
duty ("active duty for training") from November 1968 to November 1969.
Back at Ellington, he remained on full-time duty until June 1970, when
he graduated from Combat Crew Training School. Altogether, about 21
months full-time service, after which he became a weekend warrior.

It's a bit sad that the left has to smear his service, which of course
few of them would admit was worth doing in any event! (Most of my
friends wouldn't go within spitting distance of a military man until
in desperation they signed on with the Wesley Clark campaign.
Suddenly, getting a hero was the most important qualifcation for a
Democratic primary.) Even the redoubtable Michael Moore hasn't
bothered to retread this tired old lie.

More at www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm

Old July 13th 04, 11:05 AM
WalterM140

Senator Kerry has three.

Two of which he may have earned.

Prove he didn't earn all three.

Walt
Old July 13th 04, 11:07 AM
WalterM140

This documet shows conclusively that Bush performed no service for
16 months:

http://users.cis.net/coldfeet/doc10.gif

It does not show that he was AWOL.

No, you have to draw that inference yourself.

Walt
Old July 13th 04, 11:08 AM
WalterM140

Kerry was and is a true decorated war hero.

Who by his own admission in sworn Senate testimony was personally
guilty of committing war crimes and atrocities as well as personally
observing them in his role as a commissioned officer yet not doing
anything to stop them.

Can you source some back up of that statement?

Walt
Old July 13th 04, 11:10 AM
WalterM140

Vice [sic] President Bush is the issue, and the only issue.

Why isn't Kerry the issue?

Kerry's military records are complete. Bush's are not.

Walt

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Two MOH Winners say Bush Didn't Serve WalterM140 Military Aviation 196 June 14th 04 11:33 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM