Veering left after touchdown

Old June 28th 04, 02:04 AM
Karl Treier

Default Veering left after touchdown

OK so 4 or so flight hours after attaining my PPL, I find a problem i don't
recall experiencing during flight training at all. Hoping for some insight
or maybe i'll consider a few recurrent hours with my CFI.

Anyway basically the problem is that I land straight (or so I think) and
almost immediately after touchdown I start to veer to the left
(disconcerting for passengers), now on LUK's 150ft wide runway no problem I
get it back on centerline but i'm concerned about thi.s happening on a 75ft
or narrower runway.

Old June 28th 04, 02:24 AM
John Gaquin

"Karl Treier" wrote in message news:q8KDc.9690

Anyway basically the problem is that I land straight (or so I think) and

same airplane or different airplanes?

unconscious pressure on left rudder pedal?

take careful note of *exactly* what you're doing.

Old June 28th 04, 03:00 AM
Casey Wilson

"Karl Treier" wrote in message
OK so 4 or so flight hours after attaining my PPL, I find a problem i

don't
recall experiencing during flight training at all. Hoping for some

insight
or maybe i'll consider a few recurrent hours with my CFI.

Anyway basically the problem is that I land straight (or so I think) and
almost immediately after touchdown I start to veer to the left
(disconcerting for passengers), now on LUK's 150ft wide runway no problem

get it back on centerline but i'm concerned about thi.s happening on a

75ft
or narrower runway.

Hmmm, how about adding an 'H' to your GUMPS pre-landing checklist. It's
for making sure your heels are on the floor.

Old June 28th 04, 03:27 AM
Gary Drescher

"Karl Treier" wrote in message
OK so 4 or so flight hours after attaining my PPL, I find a problem i

don't
recall experiencing during flight training at all. Hoping for some

insight
or maybe i'll consider a few recurrent hours with my CFI.

Anyway basically the problem is that I land straight (or so I think) and
almost immediately after touchdown I start to veer to the left
(disconcerting for passengers), now on LUK's 150ft wide runway no problem

get it back on centerline but i'm concerned about thi.s happening on a

75ft
or narrower runway.

Any crosswind?

--Gary

Old June 28th 04, 03:39 AM
Patrick w. Sencenich

as my CFI told me over and over again -
"GET ON THE BALL!"
in reference to the turn coordinator

I ran into the same problem.

now in a right rudder aircraft, when you take all the power out before
touchdown, the prop is still rotating and you still have some
p-factor, torque, etc.

During landing it is Very important to keep that ball centered. When
the CFI is not yelling at you every time the ball gets too close to
the line does not mean that it is any less important.

1. stalling above the runway is scarey enough without the added
troubes caused by being uncoordinated

2. your wheels hate being side loaded and will one day rebel.

you say "Almost Immediatly" which tells me that you are touching down
uncoordinated.

to work on this habit, and this worked for me.....

Go up to 7500 feet and practice stalls. lots and lots of stalls, Power
on and power off. keeping special watch on that turn coordinator.
soon, you will notice that when you are landing, paying attention to
the things other then the Turn Coordinator, if you glance at it, it
will be centered 100% of the time without you even thinking about it.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:04:19 -0400, "Karl Treier"
spoketh unto us:

OK so 4 or so flight hours after attaining my PPL, I find a problem i don't
recall experiencing during flight training at all. Hoping for some insight
or maybe i'll consider a few recurrent hours with my CFI.

Anyway basically the problem is that I land straight (or so I think) and
almost immediately after touchdown I start to veer to the left
(disconcerting for passengers), now on LUK's 150ft wide runway no problem I
get it back on centerline but i'm concerned about thi.s happening on a 75ft
or narrower runway.

******************************
Patrick W. Sencenich
__|__
*---o--(_)--o---*

"I am NOT 30... i am 24.95 plus shipping and handling."
Old June 28th 04, 03:53 AM
Teacherjh

If you have a crosswind from the right, you are probably banked to the right
and ruddered to the left to hold centerline during the approach. On touchdown,
unless you consciously release rudder pressure, the plane will veer left on
touchdown.

Jose

Old June 28th 04, 03:58 AM
Gary Drescher

"Patrick w. Sencenich" wrote in message
During landing it is Very important to keep that ball centered. When
the CFI is not yelling at you every time the ball gets too close to
the line does not mean that it is any less important.

1. stalling above the runway is scarey enough without the added
troubes caused by being uncoordinated

2. your wheels hate being side loaded and will one day rebel.

If there's a crosswind, then being uncoordinated is what *prevents* a side
load. Ignore the inclinometer; just use the ailerons to maintain your
position over the centerline, and the rudder to keep the plane pointing
straight down the runway. Without a crosswind, the result will be
coordinated flight; with a crosswind, the result will be properly
uncoordinated flight (a side slip).

--Gary

Old June 28th 04, 04:08 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Hmmm, how about adding an 'H' to your GUMPS pre-landing checklist. It's
for making sure your heels are on the floor.

great. So we have
TIT = tune - identify - twist
HUMP

what's next? grin

Gerald

Old June 28th 04, 04:35 AM
AJW

If you have a crosswind from the right, you are probably banked to the right
and ruddered to the left to hold centerline during the approach. On
touchdown,
unless you consciously release rudder pressure, the plane will veer left on
touchdown.

Jose

If it's the same airplane, check tire pressure or if one brake is grabbing.

Old June 28th 04, 04:47 AM
C J Campbell

I have had students with that problem. It invariably results from not
keeping your heels on the floor -- the student is touching the left brake.
It is a subconcious thing. I would recommend practicing on narrow strips,
about 30 feet wide, with an instructor. Barring that, try imagining that the
runway is that narrow and that you don't want the centerline to veer off to
left or right.