After Annual ...

Old August 11th 05, 11:15 PM

Default After Annual ...

Finally picking up my airplane tomorrow after a 2-month annual. Just
bought it in April. It is a '61, and despite logbook entries that SAY
annuals have been done every year, it was pretty clear the majority of
stuff under the cowl hadn't been touched in a LONG time. Picking it up
tomorrow. Along with the usual, thorough preflight routine, I plan to do
one or two landings at that airport, come back, shut down and have
another look at everything before leaving to bring the airplane to my
home airport.

Have a few hundred more hours to go before a major engine overhaul, but
just about every part was taken out, scrutinized, cleaned, overhauled,
and replaced. Any tips/advice on that first test flight after that kind
of maintenance, other than the obvious?
Old August 12th 05, 12:36 AM
Jay Honeck

Have a few hundred more hours to go before a major engine overhaul, but
just about every part was taken out, scrutinized, cleaned, overhauled,
and replaced. Any tips/advice on that first test flight after that kind
of maintenance, other than the obvious?

What type of airplane?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 12th 05, 01:41 AM

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
What type of airplane?

1961 Morrisey/Shinn (later manufactured as Vargas) 2150-A.
Old August 12th 05, 01:56 AM
N93332

wrote in message
Any tips/advice on that first test flight after that kind
of maintenance, other than the obvious?

Take the inspector/mechanic on the 1st 'test' flight. (S)he shouldn't
hesitate even at the offer...

Old August 12th 05, 02:08 AM
Peter Duniho

"N93332" wrote in message
Take the inspector/mechanic on the 1st 'test' flight. (S)he shouldn't
hesitate even at the offer...

While I agree that the IA ought to be willing to ride in the airplane they
just inspected, they may still hesitate to ride in the plane with the owner.
Not speaking of anyone in particular, of course, but there are certainly
pilots out there with whom a sane mechanic would want to avoid flying with
at all costs.

Now, if that mechanic refuses to ride in the airplane even with a pilot of
their choosing, that's definitely a warning sign.

Pete

Old August 12th 05, 02:28 AM
N93332

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"N93332" wrote in message
Take the inspector/mechanic on the 1st 'test' flight. (S)he shouldn't
hesitate even at the offer...

Now, if that mechanic refuses to ride in the airplane even with a pilot of
their choosing, that's definitely a warning sign.

The 2 different mechanics that I have taken my plane for annuals are both
pilots. The 1st annual (pre-purchase inspection) mechanic was also a CFI and
gave me the checkout in the plane for insurance purposes after the
inspection. When I take my plane in for annual, I give him permission to
'test fly' it when he's done; he usually does...

-Greg B.

Old August 12th 05, 02:58 AM
Peter Duniho

"N93332" wrote in message
The 2 different mechanics that I have taken my plane for annuals are both
pilots. The 1st annual (pre-purchase inspection) mechanic was also a CFI
and gave me the checkout in the plane for insurance purposes after the
inspection. When I take my plane in for annual, I give him permission to
'test fly' it when he's done; he usually does...

That's all very wonderful.

Still, there are perfectly valid reasons unrelated to the maintenance for a
mechanic to "hesitate even at the offer".

Old August 12th 05, 03:05 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Peter Duniho wrote:
Now, if that mechanic refuses to ride in the airplane even with a pilot of
their choosing, that's definitely a warning sign.

My second plane crash was immediately after an engine change. There was a lot
of tension in the maintenance hangar due to the IA's bad temper. No doubt as a
direct result, somebody neglected to tighten the oil line from the engine to the
oil cooler (part of the airframe on the Piper Lance). The oil line shook loose
on or shortly after take off and I came down shortly after that.

I ain't too keen on test flying any more.

You might consider doing a series of aborted take offs to give the engine some
full throttle time without actually getting into the air, then pull the cowl off
and take a *good* look around. I wish to hell I had.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old August 12th 05, 05:04 AM
John Clear

In article ,
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

My second plane crash was immediately after an engine change. There was a lot

[...]
I ain't too keen on test flying any more.

A friend of mine does the first flight after annual on his Arrow
in full nomex with a helmet. He is also known for being militant
about safety (CFII, FAA Safety Counselor, he's in CAP and gets in
trouble with the 'sweep it under the rug' crowd all the time).

I don't know if I'd take to the extremes he does, but statistically,
the first flight after annual or maintenance is a high risk flight.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/