Good Place To Get Jeppesen Enroute Charts?

Old October 4th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Good Place To Get Jeppesen Enroute Charts?

NW_Pilot wrote:

Yea, I have a Flitestar I like To have the real chart in my hands.

The real jepps are a little flimsy. I like the tripkit you can
generate via JeppView3 (I suspect flightstar is the same they seem
to share a lot of code, but I haven't loaded up flightstar on my
efb yet). I also like when you print it, it burns the "possibly
obsolete on mm/dd/yy" into the top, something that the plates
lack. It will also print the enroutes in "plate sized" pieces
meaning you don't have to go through all sorts of chart oragami
to use them (which further chews up the flimsy enroutes that jepp
doesn't replace that often).

I had a traditional jepp subscription for EAST. I got tired of
filing updates and besides I did catch jepp failing to ship me
a chart. Since I have the chartview in the MX20 anyway, I have
canned my paper subscriptions (they still send me enroutes
and chart notams even though they are redundant).

Old October 4th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

He did say "print off".

"NW_Pilot" wrote in
message . ..

| "Peter R." wrote in message
| NW_Pilot wrote:
|
| Jeppesens web site really is not user friendly when
looking for Just 1
| Low
| Enroute Chart anyone know of a place in the states that
has a great
| selection "World Wide" and that will sell and ship just
1 or 2 charts at
| time? Thanks!
|
| If you have Jeppesen's FlightStar, you can print off low
or high altitude

Old October 4th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Sam Spade wrote:

Not a good idea! The electronic en route charts sometimes misplace MEAs
or miss them altogether. DME fixes can be missing. And so forth.
Jeppesen does not hold out the electronic en route charts to be reliable
at this time. That is why they issue paper en route charts with
JeppView subscriptions.

That's news to me on the JeppView3. The documentation clearly says
that JeppView replaces the paper enroutes. The only warning they
make you "Understand and Accept" is that you can deslect "certain
navigation features or elements" which might be critical to flight.

JeppView 3 is a world beyond the former version.

Old October 4th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

That is a trip lit, bit you have to be a subscriber to one
region [can be the smallest region] and then can get charts
as needed for other areas.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
| On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 23:02:40 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
| wrote:
|
| Jepp sells SUBSCRIPTIONS by regions. They will then sell
| "trip kit" for a one-time trip to other regions.
|

| I've obtained single copies of charts on several occasions
during the past
| years for outside of my subscription area, without having
to purchase a

Old October 4th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

If you are a subscriber, I think they will work with you to
get you what you want.

"NW_Pilot" wrote in
message . ..

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Jepp sells SUBSCRIPTIONS by regions. They will then sell
| "trip kit" for a one-time trip to other regions.
|

| When looking for just 1 or 2 charts for a specific aera a
trip kit really
| blows the bank!
|

| "Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in
message
| | On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:20:18 -0700, "NW_Pilot"
| | wrote:
| |
| | Jeppesens web site really is not user friendly when
| looking for Just 1 Low
| | Enroute Chart anyone know of a place in the states
that
| has a great
| | selection "World Wide" and that will sell and ship
just 1
| or 2 charts at a
| | time? Thanks!
| |
| |

Old October 4th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Sam Spade wrote:

Not a good idea! The electronic en route charts sometimes misplace MEAs
or miss them altogether. DME fixes can be missing. And so forth.
Jeppesen does not hold out the electronic en route charts to be reliable
at this time. That is why they issue paper en route charts with
JeppView subscriptions.

I was aware that, depending on the view, en route fixes occasionally did
not print, but I was not aware that there is a risk of en route fixes being
misplaced on the chart, nor was I aware that Jeppesen actually discouraged
printing out these charts.

If this is so, why does the software have the "strip chart" concept, which
prints your route along strips of en route charts?

--
Peter
Old October 4th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Doug schrieb:

What is the deal with charts in Europe. I know there are Jepp charts,
but are there local govt charts too? Sort of similar to USA with the
govt charts in the USA?

Yes. Much like the official sectionals in the USA, each European country
publishes its official VFR chart. They are usually called ICAO charts.
Of course, Jeppesen sells VFR charts for Europe, too.

There are pros and cons of the ICAO charts vs. Jepp: Pro is, you have
the "real" thing. It's the official text. No discussions. Con is, each
country has its own graphic scheme, so if you travel internationally,
you have to learn to read each chart again. Personally, I think this is
part of the fun. Learn each country and its particularities. Others
think it's a hassle. Again personally, I think Jepp charts fall short
when it comes to real visual navigation (i.e. navigation by looking out
of the window).

Stefan
Old October 4th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
NW_Pilot wrote:

[...]

Yea, I have flitestar! It becomes useless when your Laptop/EFB gets smashed!
I still like the paper Jeppesen charts because electronics fail and
Ink/Toner costs a lot or money!

Old October 4th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Doug" wrote in message
ps.com...
What is the deal with charts in Europe. I know there are Jepp charts,
but are there local govt charts too? Sort of similar to USA with the
govt charts in the USA?

EU you will find most use jeppesen charts VFR and IFR most pilot shops have
them like our fbo's have government charts and I like the Jepp charts better
they are thinner, indexes, and easy to read once you go Jepp. it's hard to

Old October 4th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Peter R." wrote in message
Sam Spade wrote:

Not a good idea! The electronic en route charts sometimes misplace MEAs
or miss them altogether. DME fixes can be missing. And so forth.
Jeppesen does not hold out the electronic en route charts to be reliable
at this time. That is why they issue paper en route charts with
JeppView subscriptions.

I was aware that, depending on the view, en route fixes occasionally did
not print, but I was not aware that there is a risk of en route fixes
being
misplaced on the chart, nor was I aware that Jeppesen actually discouraged
printing out these charts.

If this is so, why does the software have the "strip chart" concept, which
prints your route along strips of en route charts?

--
Peter

If you fly general aviation IFR enough you will find out that things don't
always work as planed and you have to deviate or reroute due to some
unforeseen circumstance like (Weather, Aircraft Performance, Technical Issue
Like Navaid Outage) you better have printed a lot of strip charts or have
the paper chart available for a reroute.

Remember this is Aviation and Murphy is always your co pilot and ****
happens so expect it to and prep the best you can for what ever can and will
happen!

I do like interfacing my portable GPS with Flitestar On a 15" Laptop Screen
makes a kick ass moving map but I still like having the Paper charts and
steam gauges to back up the advanced electronics. Dam I am sounding like I
should be in my 70's ot 80's hahahahaha!! I am a fan of technology in the
cabin but my mind has really been changed after my recent bout with a G1000
issue!