Forget Flarm Stealth, this will really change soaring competitions!

Old January 7th 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Forget Flarm Stealth, this will really change soaring competitions!

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Sec...?spt=sec&or=bn

Good luck getting this genie back in the bottle!

Kirk
66
Old January 7th 16, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Before long I will be able to sit back and eat my sandwich while auto-soar takes me for a ride.
Old January 7th 16, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:14:46 -0800, kirk.stant wrote:

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Sec...16/01/06/Navy-

tests-cooperative-soaring-for-UAV-sailplanes/4961452104725/?spt=sec&or=bn

Good luck getting this genie back in the bottle!

Actually, its been quite slow escaping from its bottle.

As far as I can tell the origins were with the ALOFT project, the subject
a PhD thesis completed in 2010 by Daniel J Edwards. The project was to
develop an autonomous soaring autopilot for a 5m span carbon RC
sailplane. It was successful and was even allowed to compete against
human pilots in an RC XC competition in 2008: these events fly what I
know as racing tasks (I think you call them AT tasks), typically round
triangular courses of up to 100 km or so with the pilots riding in
convertibles or on the back of pickups. The ALOFT system was hand-flown
for launch and landing and, won one day (100km triangle, in autonomous
mode for, IIRC, 98% of the flight.

Up to the XC competition there was quite a bit of information about ALOFT
on the web, mainly in model flying websites and the ALOFT project site.
Oddly enough, after Dan Edwards got his PhD, virtually everything about
the project vanished from the 'net, though careful searching can still
find copies of his thesis.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 8th 16, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 5:14:49 PM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Sec...?spt=sec&or=bn

Good luck getting this genie back in the bottle!

Kirk
66

or we could all just play condor XD
Old January 8th 16, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

or we could all just play condor XD

That would be the safest thing to do.
XC
Old January 8th 16, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I heard Nightly Condor Racing is going to require Stealth Mode...........

May be just a rumor....... but now this thread can go on forever...

WH1
Old January 8th 16, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 8:57:05 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I heard Nightly Condor Racing is going to require Stealth Mode...........

May be just a rumor....... but now this thread can go on forever...

WH1

Sinatra and cocktails are totally acceptable...I think ND's onto something.
XC
Old January 8th 16, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Screw that. I'm gonna stay in my easy chair, have a beer with my
sammich, and follow my flight on Flight Tracker! Just gotta figure out
the launch...

On 1/7/2016 4:32 PM, Casey wrote:
Before long I will be able to sit back and eat my sandwich while auto-soar takes me for a ride.

--
Dan, 5J

Old January 8th 16, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 8:52:20 AM UTC-5, XC wrote:

or we could all just play condor XD

That would be the safest thing to do.
XC

i dunno man, a plane could still land on our houses while flying condor.
Old January 8th 16, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Come to the convention to hear a bit more about it! 10 AM Friday.