AoA keep it going!

Old December 21st 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J a c k[_2_]

Default AoA....

Ian wrote:

Or would you care for me to make an argument that since generations of
glider pilots have seen no need for AoA indicators, they must be
useless?

Go ahead--make your day.

Jack
Old December 21st 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J a c k[_2_]

Ian wrote:

Don't most die in the final turn?

The overwhelming majority survive the final turn!

Don't most who die in the pattern, die in attempting the final turn?

Jack
Old December 21st 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J a c k[_2_]

Ian wrote:

Are you remembering that in the UK we have a very limited range of
frequencies, and that it is quite possible to be able to hear calls
from gliders at several different airfields at once?

As we do here in the USA. When airborne, we hear calls from multiple
glider organizations, other skydiving activities in addition to the one
based at our field, as well as the other calls associated with each of
the respective airport's operations. The FAA has determined that we will
use a particular frequency from a very limited range of available
frequencies, when operating to or from the airport.

I have on occasion wasted time trying to see the glider which has just called
downwind at an airfield ten miles from the one I am about to land at.

You're a poster-child for proper radio procedure, if not for turning off
the radio. Why not set a better example for them?

Jack
Old December 22nd 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 21 Dec, 22:58, J a c k wrote:
Ian wrote:
Don't most die in the final turn?

The overwhelming majority survive the final turn!

Don't most who die in the pattern, die in attempting the final turn?

.... or shortly afterwards.

Ian

Old December 22nd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Denis

Default AoA keep it going!

fred a écrit :

A favorite question I use for instruction... Which wing in a turn has
the greatest angle of attack?

Would you be so kind to give us the answer please ?
Old December 22nd 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

The inside wing; it travels a lesser distance while
sinking the same amount as the outside wing.

No one seems to have observed that the AoA is instantaneous
whereas the ASI indicates what the aircraft was doing
moments ago. The AoA is especially useful for helping
students understand relative wind and its consequences;
this cannot be done with the ASI.

Old December 22nd 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Nyal Williams wrote:
The inside wing; it travels a lesser distance while
sinking the same amount as the outside wing.

No one seems to have observed that the AoA is instantaneous
whereas the ASI indicates what the aircraft was doing
moments ago.

I don't think this is true: all the ASI I've had or checked seemed to
respond in less than a second. Surely that's fast enough to keep up with
the glider? Just try blowing gently into a pitot and see how quick the
needle is. If takes "moments" to respond, you should check the indicator
and the pitot line.

The reason we are told to "fly attitude and don't chase the airspeed" is
it takes the glider a while settle down to a steady speed, not because
the ASI is slow.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 22nd 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Nyal Williams wrote:
The inside wing; it travels a lesser distance while
sinking the same amount as the outside wing.

No one seems to have observed that the AoA is instantaneous
whereas the ASI indicates what the aircraft was doing
moments ago.

I don't think this is true: all the ASI I've had or checked seemed to
respond in less than a second. Surely that's fast enough to keep up with
the glider? Just try blowing gently into a pitot and see how quick the
needle is. If takes "moments" to respond, you should check the indicator
and the pitot line.

The reason we are told to "fly attitude and don't chase the airspeed" is
it takes the glider a while settle down to a steady speed, not because the
ASI is slow.

Eric,

Just a short observation. If you had an AOA you would notice an AOA
increase as you open your spoilers while maintaining a constant speed and a
decrease as you closed them.

Wayne

Old December 22nd 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Dec 21, 10:42*pm, Ian wrote:
On 21 Dec, 09:58, J a c k wrote:

Ian wrote:
Seeing other aircraft is often aided by hearing radio transmissions.
Have you literally heard an aircraft you didn't first see?

Are you remembering that in the UK we have a very limited range of
frequencies, and that it is quite possible to be able to hear calls
from gliders at several different airfields at once? I have on
occasion wasted time trying to see the glider which has just called
downwind at an airfield ten miles from the one I am about to land at.

Ian

Gliders at our airfield prefix their downwind call with 'XXX Traffic'
so there is no doubt who they are addressing. OK. sometimes we get
'XXX Base' but it's still unambiguous.
Old December 22nd 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Lindsay

Eric,

Just a short observation. If you had an AOA you would notice an AOA
increase as you open your spoilers while maintaining a constant speed and a
decrease as you closed them.

Wayne

Why not? Surely the glider would be sinking quicker so the AoA would
increase when you open your spoilers?
--
Mike Lindsay