Diving and flying

Old March 4th 04, 05:26 PM
Chris

Default Diving and flying

Flying a spamcan at 1000-2000ft after scuba-diving is identical to
diving in mountain lakes at these specific altitudes (well it's actually
saver because diving in mountain lakes gets you to altidude immediatley
after surfacing, in contrast to flying where some additional time is
needed to remove the dive gear and climb into the plane. Although, I
should try to fly with my dive gear on at least once ;*). Build it in
your dive profile or switch the dive computer to the specific mountain
level if it can be switched manually.

Chris
PADI Divemaster
PP-ASEL
Student glider pilot
New Mexico (maybe unbelievable for most, but one can find some wet holes
to dive into in the Land of Enchantment)

R. Hubbell wrote:
This is for everyone that considers it safe to fly after diving.
The problem with diving is that the different people have different

Don't forget how those dive tables were concocted. They used
young, strong, healthy men to develop those numbers. Yes I know
the recreational tables are not the same but are conservative
derivatives of those tables. But there's a reason they are still
doing studies of the effects of diving.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/ne...asp?newsid=210

There is still much to learn about the effects and responses of
diving,flying, mountain climbing on human physiology.

They have found that mountain climbers have permanent cognitive
changes. I suspect they will find the same with divers if they have not
already. Humans are adaptable to a point.

I play it way safe and am conservative when diving and/or flying.

R. Hubbell

Old March 4th 04, 06:41 PM
SFM

Chris, it is advice like that causes my instructor liability insurance to be
so high. :-)

Even when you altitude dive (above 1000ft MSL) a quick jump to a higher
altitude puts you at a higher risk for DCS.
Also when you arrive from a lower altitude to the mountain lake you now have
residual nitrogen in your tissues due to the reduced atmospheric ppN2 at
your dive altitude. You may need to plan your first dive as a repetative
dive due to the increased ppN2 in your body tissues being the same thing as
residual nitrogen from a dive. Most tables and computers calculate the off
gassing during a surface interval on only one tissue compartment (60min for
RDP, 120min for Navy & Haldane).

This aviation newsgroup really is not the place to have a detailed
discussion about all this, but suffice it to say that after diving, going to
altitude entails a risk of DCS.

Scott

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**
-------------------------------------

Old March 5th 04, 03:45 AM
Michael 182

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message

This is for everyone that considers it safe to fly after diving.
The problem with diving is that the different people have different

Don't forget how those dive tables were concocted. They used
young, strong, healthy men to develop those numbers.

Good point. I know that skiing at high altitudes (11,000 feet+) has become
more difficult for me in recent years. Although I'm in pretty good shape for
a 50 year old, there are no illusions that my body works the way a 22 year
old kid's works. (On the other hand, I don't drink all night anymore...)

Michael