approach Frequency

Old July 6th 05, 08:42 PM
AliR

Default approach Frequency

I can never get this right!
When the airport list's it's approach freq like this
123.75 (320-152)
119.9 (153-319)

does that mean that I should call 123.75 if my heading is between 320 and
152 or the opposite?

AliR

Old July 6th 05, 08:56 PM
Peter R.

AliR wrote:

I can never get this right!
When the airport list's it's approach freq like this
123.75 (320-152)
119.9 (153-319)

does that mean that I should call 123.75 if my heading is between 320 and
152 or the opposite?

The opposite. The approach boundaries listed are in reference to the
airport, thus they radiate out of the airport. In your example draw an
imaginary straight line across the airport at the 320/152 radial.

Every aircraft that is in the airspace to the east of that line uses 123.75
and every aircraft that is in the airspace to the west of that line uses
119.9.

--
Peter

Old July 6th 05, 08:59 PM
Bob Gardner

It's your direction from the facility, not your heading. In your example, if
your position is in the 192-degree wide segment from northwest through
southeast (roughly), use 123.75; if your position is in the segment left
over, use 119.9

Bob Gardner

Old July 6th 05, 09:14 PM
Maule Driver

What everyone said.

Often you can quickly figure it out graphically by noting the alignment
of the runways. The sectors will often map to the runway alignment in
an easily discerned way.

Old July 6th 05, 09:32 PM
AliR

Thanks for the clarifications.

After reading the answers, I was thinking that I can quickly figure out the
one that I need to contact by finding the reciprocal of my heading in the
different ranges.

Say I am flying 090, the reciprocal will be 270 which would be 119.9

Would that work in all cases? Or are there odd shaped approch regions?

AliR.

m...

Old July 6th 05, 09:45 PM
Stephen McNaught

Evidently the clarification wasn't clear enough. ;-) It has nothing to do
with your heading, but everything to do with where you are in relation to
the airport. You could have a easterly (90 degree) heading west of the
airport, east of the airport, north of the airport, south of the airport, or
some combination of those. The heading has nothing to do with what frequency
to use. Where you are in relation to the airport (what sector) does. If you
are right of, North-West (320) to South-East (152) of the airport, then use
frequency 123.75. Otherwise use 119.9 (153-319). - Steve

Old July 6th 05, 09:50 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"AliR" wrote in message
Thanks for the clarifications.

After reading the answers, I was thinking that I can quickly figure out
the
one that I need to contact by finding the reciprocal of my heading in the
different ranges.

Say I am flying 090, the reciprocal will be 270 which would be 119.9

Would that work in all cases? Or are there odd shaped approch regions?

AliR.

That will only work if you are heading directly towards the airport.

Old July 6th 05, 10:01 PM
AliR

I wasn't thinking that far ahead. I was thinking about approaching the
airport.

As of yet I haven't passed the airport before deciding to call up approach.
;-) But that is a good point.

I am always on the lookout for finding shortcuts, to make my work load less.

AliR.

Old July 6th 05, 10:13 PM
Stephen McNaught

In that specific case, heading directly, with no wind correction, to the
airport, than your method would work. For me, it is just as easy, and has
more versatility, to visualize the sectors around the airport, know which of
those sectors I'm in, and use the appropriate frequency. We all look for
methods that decrease our work load. Good luck. - Steve

Old July 6th 05, 11:08 PM
RST Engineering

Nope. It makes not a bit of difference what your heading is. What makes a
difference is what the bearing FROM the airport in question is.

Let's presume a simple case. If you are anywhere west through east and
SOUTH of a particular airport, the approach frequency is 123.0. If you are
anywhere west throught east and NORTH of that airport, the approach
frequency is 123.5.

Now, you are due NORTH of the airport and inbound, so the approach frequency
is 123.5. If you turn 180d around and fly AWAY from the airport, your
heading changes 180d but the frequency remains the same.

It is the SECTOR and not the HEADING that make the difference.

Jim