Should you tell Tower you're departing IFR

Old September 23rd 05, 05:01 PM
John Clonts

Default Should you tell Tower you're departing IFR

or should they just know it already?

I was departing Sugarland (KSGR) yesterday, after having gotten my
clearance from ground control. Tower assigned me runway heading (this
was about 45 minutes later as there was MUCH traffic waiting in line
for takeoffs) and handed me off to departure. I had trouble getting a
word in edgewise, but when I eventually did, departure said "change
squawk to 0044". Later a different controller (but same freq I
believe) asked my if I was VFR???? I told him "Negative, N7NZ is
cleared Industry departure then as filed, currently on 270 vector". He
said, "roger, cleared direct IDU", and the rest of the flight was
uneventful (and unambiguously IFR). This was all in VMC.

Later I thought that maybe the tower didn't realize I was IFR when he
cleared me for takeoff, and that fouled something up with departure.

Or, is there another reason I would have immediately been given a new
squawk code like that? I seem to remember that 0xxx squawks are
"local" or something like that. Yet I believe I then kept that same
0044 the entire remaining duration of the flight (through Houston
Center and then Austin Approach to my destination 44TE).

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old September 23rd 05, 05:15 PM
S Narayan

"John Clonts" wrote in message
ups.com...
or should they just know it already?

I was departing Sugarland (KSGR) yesterday, after having gotten my
clearance from ground control. Tower assigned me runway heading (this
was about 45 minutes later as there was MUCH traffic waiting in line
for takeoffs) and handed me off to departure. I had trouble getting a
word in edgewise, but when I eventually did, departure said "change
squawk to 0044". Later a different controller (but same freq I
believe) asked my if I was VFR???? I told him "Negative, N7NZ is
cleared Industry departure then as filed, currently on 270 vector". He
said, "roger, cleared direct IDU", and the rest of the flight was
uneventful (and unambiguously IFR). This was all in VMC.

Later I thought that maybe the tower didn't realize I was IFR when he
cleared me for takeoff, and that fouled something up with departure.

I tell tower I am waiting for IFR release. But considering the traffic in
your area, they probably forgot.

Last week, they got my destination wrong and that messed up a few things
during handoffs between controllers, but eventually it sorted itself out.

Old September 23rd 05, 05:18 PM
rps

I fly out of a pretty busy towered airport. I've been taught to always
inform tower that I'm IFR. I believe that is because the tower has to
coordinate with the local center/approach before an IFR flight launches
as each controller can only handle a specified number of planes
simultaneously. That's probably why you are sometimes requested to
"standby for release."

Old September 23rd 05, 05:40 PM
Mark Hansen

On 9/23/2005 09:01, John Clonts wrote:

[...]

Well, you get your clearance from Ground/Clearance Delivery, but then
there may be any number of delays between that time, and when you're
ready to take off.

You need to let the tower know when you're ready (by telling them that
you're holding for IFR release). The tower then begins negotiating for
a slot in the 'system' for your flight. Once they have a slot ready,
they clear you to take off.

I was told this 'holding for release' should never take more than a
few minutes, but then I fly out of a not-so-busy tower-controlled
airport (Sacramento Executive, KSAC).

I was taught never to assume that I would be able to just tell the
tower that I was ready to go. This step of finding a slot in the
system for me can't begin until I let the tower know that I'm ready.

So far, in the dozens of training flights - I've never been given a
take-off clearance right away - although most delays are brief.

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Sacramento, CA
Old September 23rd 05, 06:20 PM
Dave Butler

John Clonts wrote:

snip
Later I thought that maybe the tower didn't realize I was IFR when he
cleared me for takeoff, and that fouled something up with departure.

snip

This is an interesting thread. I'm based at a class C, RDU, Raleigh-Durham, NC,
and I've never had that happen, and I've never informed tower that I was IFR.
Never heard anyone else do it either.
Old September 23rd 05, 06:25 PM
Scott Draper

or should they just know it already?

They should know it already.

I don't believe in volunteering a lot of unneeded information, because
that just craps up the airwaves.
Old September 23rd 05, 06:30 PM
Allan9

Be my guess that departing from the airport where the Approach Control is
located internal operating procedures contain provisions for a "silent
release' of departing IFR aircraft. If you are at an airport that is
colocated with approach control an individual release is required.
Al

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

snip

Old September 23rd 05, 06:37 PM
Bob Gardner

I have heard enough "Oh...are you IFR?" out of Boeing Field that I consider
a little crap necessary at times.

Bob Gardner

Old September 23rd 05, 07:14 PM
S Narayan

"Scott Draper" wrote in message
or should they just know it already?

They should know it already.

I don't believe in volunteering a lot of unneeded information, because
that just craps up the airwaves.

I don't see a big difference in the time taken from saying "Ready for
takeoff" to saying "Holding for IFR release".

Los Angeles radio tower crash kills 2 Paul Hirose Piloting 178 August 6th 05 03:46 PM
Tower Enroute Control? Sam Jones Instrument Flight Rules 5 June 2nd 04 02:31 AM
New Oshkosh Tower Jay Honeck Piloting 20 November 25th 03 05:35 PM
Oshkosh Get together Roster - Sign in, please! Bruce E. Butts Home Built 4 July 26th 03 11:34 AM
Oshkosh Get together Roster - Sign in, please! Jay Honeck Piloting 0 July 24th 03 04:15 AM