Rerouting To Same Route Question

Old May 15th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default Rerouting To Same Route Question

So while IFR on the way back to NY from VA, I was rerouted about five times
which was fine with me (the first four were all shortcuts). What was
interesting was the last "reroute." I was just south of the Cedar Lake VOR
(VCN) on V16 with a clearance from there V16 JFK Direct FRG. Approach calls
me and says "I have a slight reroute for you. Ready to copy?" After my
affirmation, she proceeded to give me VCN V16 CYN "then after Coyle Victor 1
JFK then direct."

For those with a chart handy, you'll notice that V1 overlaps V16 over that
segment so they "rerouted" me to the same route. I didn't see a point in
questioning them especially given the busy freq.

What gives? Can any of you ATC folks shed some light on this harmless yet
interesting experience? A little-known computer quirk, LOA, weird procedure
or something?

Marco

Old May 15th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 5/15/2007 11:27:36 AM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

What gives? Can any of you ATC folks shed some light on this harmless yet
interesting experience? A little-known computer quirk, LOA, weird
procedure or something?

Marco, I can only give you another IFR pilot's experience, but right or wrong
I have concluded that ATC's computer will spit out preferred routes that are
not tolerant of any fix/VOR deviation, even if the deviations result in the
same route.

To expand a bit, to fly IFR to Teterboro (NY City's busiest GA airport) from
Syracuse, NY, there is a specific IFR that must be filed. If that route is
not filed exactly as the ATC computer requires it, the pilot will receive a
full route clearance from ATC when retrieving the clearance. It took me a few
attempts before I was able to get the "Cleared as filed" response from
clearance. To me this seems similar to your scenario.

--
Peter
Old May 15th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Peter R." wrote in message
To expand a bit, to fly IFR to Teterboro (NY City's busiest GA airport)
from
Syracuse, NY, there is a specific IFR that must be filed. If that route is
not filed exactly as the ATC computer requires it, the pilot will receive
full route clearance from ATC when retrieving the clearance. It took me a
few
attempts before I was able to get the "Cleared as filed" response from
clearance. To me this seems similar to your scenario.

Yeah, getting that "cleared as filed" response in the northeast has become
elusive and therefore a coveted reward for a flight well-planned. While
we're on this subject, is there a way when using DUATs to put radar vectors
in the route section?

Marco

Old May 15th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 5/15/2007 11:52:39 AM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

While
we're on this subject, is there a way when using DUATs to put radar
vectors in the route section?

I am not aware of how to do that. I consider "cleared via runway heading,
radar vectors (some VOR), then as filed" as good as a win in the "will I get
as-filed" game.

--
Peter