Fact or satirical fiction?

Old March 25th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Fact or satirical fiction?

Someone mailed me the following incident the other day. I suspect it's
a satirical work, not factual - I mean, it can't happen real-time like
this ) Is there a way of verifying the extent of the jest? Here's
what was mailed:

NASA ASRS Incident #294800, Atlanta, GA (ATL):
------------------------------------
Crew: Two-man crew, Captain (CAPT) and First Officer (FO); report
submitted
by FO
Aircraft: MDT (Medium Transport, 30,001 - 60,000 lbs); large turboprop
Flight Conditions: IMC; apparent ceiling 200 ft
ILS Approach Min: 200 ft ceiling and 3/8 mi visibility

CAPT was PF (pilot flying). On Approach (APCH) into ATL, the aircraft
was
stabilized one mile outside Final Approach Fix (FAF) at 2,700 ft MSL.
Aircraft flew through the Localizer (LOC), overcompensated and flew
through
the LOC again at the Marker. Once the Marker light illuminated the Gear
Down/Landing Checklist, to the line, was called. FO proceeded with the
Landing Checklist and called out the major deviations.
* FO: several "wild excursions" ensued.
* At 400 ft AGL, FO stated: "We were full-scale Right of LOC and on
Glide
Slope (GS)."
* At a point above 200 ft AGL, FO called Go-Around (GAR).
* At 200 ft AGL, FO: "We broke out well Right of the Runway (RWY) and
adjacent to the Touchdown Zone (TDZ).
* The CAPT called for GAR; FO pushed up the Power.
* CAPT called: "No, I got the RWY made."
Landing (LNDG) was made after "several wild banks and ensuing jest by
the
Tower (TWR)."
FO self-evaluation:
* "I should have been more assertive as an FO"; and
* I never should have allowed the APCH to pass the first deviation
after
missing the LOC."

Ramapriya

Old March 25th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone mailed me the following incident the other day. I suspect it's
a satirical work, not factual - I mean, it can't happen real-time like
this ) Is there a way of verifying the extent of the jest?

Are you asking about the "ensuing jest" being broadcast on the radio? I
don't see anything in the narrative that claims the "ensuing jest" was
broadcast on the radio. I don't see any good reason to rule that out, but
it would certainly be unusual for the tower to transmit critique of a
landing pilot during the landing. However, it could well be that the
narrative simply refers to comments made in the tower itself, among the
controllers and not transmitted on the radio.

As far as verifying it goes, well...if it wasn't transmitted on the radio,
you'd have to ask the people who were in the tower at the time. Presumably
that's what the author of the narrative did.

Pete

Old March 25th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Many years ago I was parked in my car near the approach (ILS
Rwy 4 at SPI) with the weather at about 400-1. I saw an ANG
F84F fighter breakout at 400 feet, well to the side of the
runway in a 50 degree bank.

Just go to the NASA website and look up the incident by case
number. Sounds like a general and possible screwup. A
missed approach on an ILS should always be done if the
needle even reaches the full scale, because you have no idea
how far off scale you are at that point.

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old March 26th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 25 Mar 2006 08:47:33 -0800, wrote:

CAPT was PF (pilot flying).

PF?

Sounds to me like a (weak) satire on flying acronyms.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old March 26th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:01:10 -0500, Cub Driver usenet AT danford DOT
net wrote:

On 25 Mar 2006 08:47:33 -0800, wrote:

CAPT was PF (pilot flying).

PF?

Sounds to me like a (weak) satire on flying acronyms.

I thought PF and PNF (Pilot Flying/Pilot Not Flying) was one way
airlines designate who's actually manipulating the controls in their
procedures since the captain is PIC regardless of who's leg it is?
Old March 26th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...
It seems realistic to me. I don't see anything here that might suggest
it is fictional.

It's not:
https://extranet.nasdac.faa.gov/pls/portal/STAGE.ASRS_BRIEF_REPORT?RPT_NBR=294800&AC_VAR=TRUE &RPRT_VAR=TRUE&ANMLY_VAR=TRUE&SYN_VAR=TRUE&NARR_VA R=TRUE&NARR_SRCH=''

Old March 26th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message

Flight Conditions: IMC; apparent ceiling 200 ft
ILS Approach Min: 200 ft ceiling and 3/8 mi visibility

It's been a while since I flew, but are ILS minimums now as shown above?
3/8 mile?

Old March 27th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The controlling visibility, once a flight is at or past the
FAF, is flight visibility. If the pilot can see the
required distance, he has minimums and can land. Commercial
operations can't make the approach to "look see" unless the
reported visibility is above minimums, but can continue if
at/past the FAF. Part 91 can fly the approach in any
condition, but must have the required items identified at DH
and have the flight visibility to land.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P