Printing IAPs

Old March 28th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Printing IAPs

This has bugged me...I'm trying to print a few IAPs for an upcoming
trip but I can't figure out how to get them to print the standard
size...everything I'm doing ends up blown up to a full size 8.5x11
page.

I've got the files from AOPA and the FAA website and both do the same
thing. Anybody have any suggestions?

thanks

Randy

Old March 28th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Randy wrote:

I've got the files from AOPA and the FAA website and both do the same
thing. Anybody have any suggestions?

I imagine that this might depend on the printer driver, but the first thing
I do is to uncheck the "Auto Rotate and Center" print option found in the
Adobe Reader print menu, then choose landscape for the page orientation.

Thus results in the standard kneeboard size charts, and it allows me to run
this page through a second time to have another chart printed on the
opposite side of the page.

--
Peter
Old March 28th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

That worked!

thanks.

Old March 28th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Also uncheck "scale to fit."

Old March 29th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

And keep this advice around for a few years so you can get
back to full size once you eyes age like mine and you need the
bigger print :-)

When I took my CFI-I checkride, I had a stack of
approach charts printed on 8.5" x 11" paper and the
examiner was quite impressed that she could read them
without her glasses :-)

Ronnie

Old March 29th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 3/28/2006 10:37 AM, Randy wrote the following:
This has bugged me...I'm trying to print a few IAPs for an upcoming
trip but I can't figure out how to get them to print the standard
size...everything I'm doing ends up blown up to a full size 8.5x11
page.

I've got the files from AOPA and the FAA website and both do the same
thing. Anybody have any suggestions?

I print two-sided booklets of plates (via ATP. http://cmensys.com/),
also 5.5" x 8.5" manuals for GPS, etc. using FinePrint.

http://fineprint.com/products/fineprint/index.html

Very slick utility. For booklets of plates, I put the print date on
the bottom and page number them. Jepp punch using a $20 punch from
franklincovey.com and you are in business.

For manuals, I usually get them spiral (coil) bound at OfficeMaxMart.

This is one of those utilities you might well wonder how you ever got
along without it.

Not financially related to any of these vendors, etc. Just a
satisfied customer.
Old March 29th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Yep...sometimes the bigger pages are a LOT easier to read...another
thing I noticed is the quality of the images from the FAA web site are
better than AOPA's.

Old March 29th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Randy wrote:
Yep...sometimes the bigger pages are a LOT easier to read...another
thing I noticed is the quality of the images from the FAA web site are
better than AOPA's.

I don't know about AOPA's but the NACO/FAA charts (like Jeppview) are in
vector graphics, which print out as good as your printer can do them.

Full size is very nice for folks who need reading glasses.

The Jeppesen charts I print out are vastly better than Jeppesen's paper
issue.
Old March 29th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Sam Spade wrote:

The Jeppesen charts I print out are vastly better than Jeppesen's paper
issue.

Having just switched from Jepp's paper service to the digital service, I
agree. The fact that Jepp charts can be printed in color, so water
features appear blue, etc., make them a bit easier to read as well.

--
Peter
Old March 29th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
Peter R. wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

The Jeppesen charts I print out are vastly better than Jeppesen's paper
issue.

Having just switched from Jepp's paper service to the digital service, I
agree. The fact that Jepp charts can be printed in color, so water
features appear blue, etc., make them a bit easier to read as well.

I've often thought it would be nice to be able to print just a subset
of a plate. Just the minimums, IAF, etc that I'm using. On some
approaches, this can significantly reduce the amount of clutter on the
plate.