Marine Corps or Navy

Old October 21st 03, 08:46 PM

Default Marine Corps or Navy

I am interested in pursuing a career in the Navy or Marine Corps,
quite possibly as an Aviation officer. I recently met with a former
Army officer, and he was telling me about parts of a military career
that I didn't know about. For example, he mentioned that you can
become a "military attache" in another country. He also mentioned
embassy duties and working in the Pentagon. How hard are these kind of
tours to get? Is there a difference Navy vs. Marines?

My other question was, in your experience, do the Naval Academy grads
fly up the ranks faster than the NROTC guys (or OCS)?

I'm not fit enough to be a Marine right now, but if I decide I want to
go down that path, I will start to get into shape. Any other things
that I should think about? My reason for asking is I need to check the
Marine or Navy box on the NROTC application, and if I feel like I want
to be a Marine, a few other important college options would open up
for me.

Thanks!
Old October 21st 03, 10:07 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/21/03 2:46 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

I am interested in pursuing a career in the Navy or Marine Corps,
quite possibly as an Aviation officer. I recently met with a former
Army officer, and he was telling me about parts of a military career
that I didn't know about. For example, he mentioned that you can
become a "military attache" in another country. He also mentioned
embassy duties and working in the Pentagon. How hard are these kind of
tours to get? Is there a difference Navy vs. Marines?

Keep in mind that these things he's telling you about are jobs you can apply
for once you are in the military. You don't just say, "I'd like to do
that." And then go there. You are assigned.

Also, keep in mind, you're talking to an Army officer about Navy or Marine
Corps career paths which are quite different. For instance, as a pilot, you
wouldn't necessarily go to an attache job until you either (a) elect to or
(b) are forced into a "twilight" tour. Other than that, most pilots *try*
to stay in the cockpit because they love to fly, the the really good ones,
never leave the cockpit.

My other question was, in your experience, do the Naval Academy grads
fly up the ranks faster than the NROTC guys (or OCS)?

No, Boat School guys don't necessarily rise to the top faster. Sometimes
higher when nepotism is the only tie-breaker, but definitely not faster.
The easiest way to a commission is NROTC. The most fool-proof way to get
the job you want (at least it used to be) is AOCS, because USNA and NROTC
dudes don't necessarily get guaranteed aviation until they graduate. As an
AOCS guy, as long as I physically qualified, I had a pilot slot upon
graduation 14 weeks later... in writing.

I'm not fit enough to be a Marine right now, but if I decide I want to
go down that path, I will start to get into shape. Any other things
that I should think about? My reason for asking is I need to check the
Marine or Navy box on the NROTC application, and if I feel like I want
to be a Marine, a few other important college options would open up
for me.

Thanks!

Start now. Being in shape--i.e. no gut and being able to repeat 6:00 miles
makes life easier for you. Granted, it's not required, but it will take
some stress off once you get there.

Keep in mind also, that only about 10-15% (roughly) of a shrinking USMC
aviation program is jets. It's more like 35-40% of the Navy
program--especially with the demise of the maritime patrol community. The
Navy is your better percentage bet if you want to fly jets.

--Woody

Old October 22nd 03, 12:09 AM
vincent p. norris

......as a pilot, you wouldn't necessarily go to an attache job until you either (a) elect to or
(b) are forced into a "twilight" tour. Other than that, most pilots *try*
to stay in the cockpit because they love to fly, the the really good ones,
never leave the cockpit.

When I was in the marines, way back in the 1950s, an enlisted pilot in
my squadron, M.Sgt Benny Phipps, had done a tour as a pilot at an
embassy in Europe--I forget which one. He flew the ambassador around.

But you have to keep in mind that only an infinitessimal percentage of
pilots will get such duty.

vince norris
Old October 22nd 03, 12:37 AM
ian maclure

In article , "dgray0310"
wrote:

[snip]

I'm not fit enough to be a Marine right now, but if I decide I want to
go down that path, I will start to get into shape. Any other things

[snip]

Hey, if you aren't in shape, believe me the Marines will cure
that particular problem.

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old October 22nd 03, 04:36 AM
Fred J. McCall

"ian maclure" wrote:

:In article , "dgray0310"
wrote:
:
: [snip]
:
: I'm not fit enough to be a Marine right now, but if I decide I want to
: go down that path, I will start to get into shape. Any other things
:
: [snip]
:
: Hey, if you aren't in shape, believe me the Marines will cure
: that particular problem.

Or you.

--
"Rule Number One for Slayers - Don't die."
-- Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Old October 22nd 03, 01:16 PM
David Phillips

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:07:46 GMT, "Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal"
wrote:

On 10/21/03 2:46 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

My other question was, in your experience, do the Naval Academy grads
fly up the ranks faster than the NROTC guys (or OCS)?

No, Boat School guys don't necessarily rise to the top faster. Sometimes
higher when nepotism is the only tie-breaker, but definitely not faster.
The easiest way to a commission is NROTC. The most fool-proof way to get
the job you want (at least it used to be) is AOCS, because USNA and NROTC
dudes don't necessarily get guaranteed aviation until they graduate. As an
AOCS guy, as long as I physically qualified, I had a pilot slot upon
graduation 14 weeks later... in writing.

Just to pick a nit ... would it be more accurate to say that you had a
slot in flight school, rather than a 'pilot slot', upon graduation?

There is a non-zero washout rate from just about any specialty
training.

Old October 22nd 03, 08:15 PM

I'm not fit enough to be a Marine right now, but if I decide I want to
go down that path, I will start to get into shape. Any other things
that I should think about?

That if you're not fit enough to be a Marine right now, you're
probably not fit enough to go Navy, either. If you want to go
aviation, the better shape you're in the better. [And even if you
don't get aviation, the Navy doesn't need out-of-shape ground {ship?}
officers any more than the Marine Corps does.]

Is that really the case? I'm easily fit enough for the Naval PRTs, but
I hear that the Marines are much harder. I heard they do 15-mile "joy
runs" and that kind of thing... probably couldn't do that.

My reason for asking is I need to check the
Marine or Navy box on the NROTC application, and if I feel like I want
to be a Marine, a few other important college options would open up
for me.

That's a first IME; that going Marine would offer *more* options,
important ones at that. In my days, the Navy always seemed to get the
better end of the stick. ;-

Well, the Marines have that PLC program, which makes life easier if
your school doesn't have NROTC. Granted, my firts two choices due, but
there's a chance I don't get in there.

Thanks,

Jason
Old October 22nd 03, 08:17 PM

Keep in mind also, that only about 10-15% (roughly) of a shrinking USMC
aviation program is jets. It's more like 35-40% of the Navy
program--especially with the demise of the maritime patrol community. The
Navy is your better percentage bet if you want to fly jets.

Is there any actual idea when the Navy, Air Force and Marines are
going to get these F-something Joint Strike Fighters? And also, when
are they going to start training pilots on them?
Old October 22nd 03, 09:47 PM
Ogden Johnson III

That if you're not fit enough to be a Marine right now, you're
probably not fit enough to go Navy, either. If you want to go
aviation, the better shape you're in the better. [And even if you
don't get aviation, the Navy doesn't need out-of-shape ground {ship?}
officers any more than the Marine Corps does.]

Is that really the case? I'm easily fit enough for the Naval PRTs, but
I hear that the Marines are much harder. I heard they do 15-mile "joy
runs" and that kind of thing... probably couldn't do that.

Not until you're well out in gruntland. I'm a little out of date on
the PRT/PFT, and they're doing crunches instead of sit-up nowadays,
but IIRC [and remember, I never took this particular form PRT/PFT
until I was in my late 20s] a 3-mile run in under 20 minutes, 80-100
sit-ups, and a dozen/dozen-and-a-half pull-ups would have done you
good in my day. [They were not "kipless" pull-ups. Kipping was
rampant in my day. ;-]

What killed me every other day in boot camp was that damned "twice or
three times around the parade deck" at oh-dark-hundred, 5 minutes
after reveille. ;- [The rifle exercises on alternate days were a
piece of cake.]

My reason for asking is I need to check the
Marine or Navy box on the NROTC application, and if I feel like I want
to be a Marine, a few other important college options would open up
for me.

That's a first IME; that going Marine would offer *more* options,
important ones at that. In my days, the Navy always seemed to get the
better end of the stick. ;-

Well, the Marines have that PLC program, which makes life easier if
your school doesn't have NROTC. Granted, my firts two choices due, but
there's a chance I don't get in there.

*But*, PLC does, AIUI, have an aviation guarantee, if you're
physically/mentally qualified and accepted. [Guaranteed that you'll
be ordered to flight training after TBS. After that, it's in your
hands whether or not you get wings.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.