Elder Statesman/Most Senior Glider Pilot? - Otto Zauner

Old October 2nd 04, 03:25 AM
Mike Fadden

Default Elder Statesman/Most Senior Glider Pilot? - Otto Zauner

One of our club members has been approached by a local newspaper
reporter wanting to do story on him. It seems the reporter was tipped
off that he may be the oldest glider pilot in southern New Jersey. The
subject of the story would be Otto Zauner, a name that may be familiar
to many of you who have been around for a while. At 83 or 84 (I'm not
sure which at the time I'm writing this) Otto safely flys every
weekend the weather cooperates and assembles his Discus by himself. He
flew the tow plane and his RV up until few years ago when the
aggravation of jumping through hoops to get his medical (which he
always passed)became to much. This remarkable fellow still does most
of the work on our L-13 and Pawnee. While no longer competing, he
crews for club members who do. (For you PGC guys - Otto built that
winch I've heard you been using of late). Anyway, this idea of "oldest
glider pilot" got me wondering about how much further than South
Jersey Otto can extend his title. Now, I'm not talking about the
oldest person alive with a glider rating but active pilots. Any
challengers?

BTW, I'd like to hear from anyone who might be able to share any Otto
stories they may have. If you know the man you also know he is very
humble and getting him to talk about his accomplishments is no easy
task.

Mike Fadden
ASW 15
Old October 2nd 04, 05:07 AM
Lord Struthers

Hod Taylor, senior pilot at Soar Minden turned 85 recently.
Rich Lord
Old October 2nd 04, 05:34 AM
BTIZ

we have one out here.. 84 or 85 last summer.. still flying tow planes, and
instructing in gliders..
I'll not state his name without talking to him first..

BT

om...

Old October 2nd 04, 04:12 PM
Stewart Kissel

http://www.eaa808.org/deanbaird/dean.htm

Colorado's contribution, Dean is 83 or 84. He just
gave a buddy of mine his power check ride the other
day...also flies towplanes, glider instruction and
power as well as his Examiner duties.

Seems like every other pilot I meet in Colorado got
checked out by Dean.

Old October 2nd 04, 06:28 PM
Greg Arnold

For a 93 year old pilot, see page 9 of the May 2004 issue of Southern
California Soaring (www.socalsoaring.com).

Old October 2nd 04, 07:51 PM
Doug Taylor

High Desert Soaring in Bend OR has probably the most experienced tow
pilot team anywhere. Both senior tow pilots are 86 years young.
Great guys that do a great job with more than 100 years of flying
experience between them. Congratulations Rollie and Lynn! Rollie
also is current in Gliders. Don't know for sure if Lynn is.

Old October 2nd 04, 11:16 PM
NigelPocock

Derek Piggot turned 80 last year and celebrated it by flying a 500km in an ME7
- in england!
Old October 3rd 04, 12:36 AM
Mark Zivley

Tom Hardy in Mississippi is certainly in this group. Don't know his
exact age, but guessing he's middle latter 80's and last I saw him he
was still going strong. He was at Marfa again this year w/ his DG400M.

Old October 3rd 04, 01:33 AM
B Lacovara

We do indeed have the winch Otto built at PGC. It is an ingenious piece of
equipment that has served well for many years - thanks Otto. On the topic of
oldest glider pilot… we have maybe the oldest student? Joe Beyer, who is 83,
just soloed after *beginning* flight training last year. Joe, who flew as a
crewman during WWII, is sharp as a tack and full of energy. I want to be just
like him when I grow up ;-)

Bob Lacovara
PGC