Confusion

Old December 1st 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Confusion

wrote in message

When I am IFR, and the tower does not issue some heading instruction
on takeoff, I get suspicious, and I double check. More often than
not (not always), I have found the situation to be as described - the
tower didn't get the word. So the risk/reward has been favorable.

Your experience may be different.

There's no need or reason for local control to reissue what has already been
issued by ground control or clearance delivery.

Old December 1st 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

The tower screwed up, no doubt, but I try to avoid things like that by
saying, instead of "Ready for departure," I say "Ready for IFR release."

And the tower responds, "I have your IFR release, advise when ready for
departure."

Old December 1st 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

The tower screwed up, no doubt, but I try to avoid things like that by
saying, instead of "Ready for departure," I say "Ready for IFR release."

Tower controllers hear all sorts of things on the air and only an idiot
would not understand ready for departure or ready for release.
Old December 6th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 1, 2:38 am, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

That would be somewhat odd for a controller to release you at a
tower'd field but not clear you for take off. The phrase we need to
hear is 'cleared for takeoff'.

If you want to hear "cleared for takeoff" you should say something that
clearly tells the tower you're ready for takeoff, "ready for takeoff" or
"ready for departure" do that, "ready for release" doesn't do that.

I thought I already did. I told tower I was "ready for takeoff runway
XXX". Tower said "Cleared for take off", I said "what about that big
airliner on final, tower said, "oh I though you were at the VFR
runway, YYY, hold short XXX". This was at a class C airport.

Reporting "ready for departure" instead of "ready for takeoff" had nothing
to do with the controller's mistake about your location.

Unless the tower is used to getting departure releases for VFR
aircraft I would hope it would give him enough pause to not make the
mistake. In any case, since I've used this phrase I've not had a
problem. I did have a controller once say "oh, your IFR".

-Robert
Old December 28th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Barry

I must say that I have never received a VFR clearance which said "turn
left heading xxx" or "fly runway heading" on takeoff. Where I fly,
these are not VFR departure instructions. Perhaps they are elsewhere.

Here at ACY (Class C), for a VFR departure we almost always get "fly runway
heading, maintain at or below 1500". Occasionally when issuing the takeoff
clearance Tower will also clear us to turn on course .

CAI 302 Utility program confusion Frank[_1_] Soaring 1 March 30th 07 03:57 AM
Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC Mxsmanic Piloting 258 January 18th 07 11:52 PM
Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC Mxsmanic Instrument Flight Rules 332 January 18th 07 11:52 PM
Confusion Plus Kevin Berlyn Home Built 1 March 6th 05 06:40 AM
confusion G.A. Seguin Soaring 0 July 14th 04 12:08 AM