3rd class medical now expires in 60 months ?

Old August 14th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
sid

Default 3rd class medical now expires in 60 months ?

On Aug 10, 4:35*pm, "BT" wrote:
yes... everyone needs a certificate of some sort.. and the back of the
student pilot certificate for Balloons, Gliders and now Light Sport have the
spaces for the instructors solo endorsements and 90 day reviews. That
certificate needs to be signed every 90 days by your CFI.

Make an appointment with the Flight Standards District Office in your area,
or a local DPE.
Bring the required ID and proof of health, for the Sport Pilot, that means a
valid drivers license.
Your CFI should know where to go... and don't let him send you to an AME
(Medical Dr) for it.

BT
CFI-G

"Rocky Stevens" wrote in message

On Aug 10, 12:43 am, Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:55 pm, "BT" wrote:

There is no "student's certificate" for sport pilots, just
endorsements in the logbook (i.e. to solo, to fly in certain
airspaces, etc).

Rocky, I believe that there is a requirement for a Student Pilot
Certificate.http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...cation/sport_p...

I stand corrected; I thought everything was done via endorsements. So
what is the student certificate required for? Is it for soloing, like
the student certificate for PPL? Not that I am going to be soloing
anytime soon, but if I need to get one I might as well get it out of
the way.

I guess it IS needed for soloing...
Fromhttp://www.sportpilot.org/newpilot/steps.html:

"Acquisition of a Student Sport Pilot Certificate: Before you may
engage in solo flight training, you will need a Student Sport Pilot
Certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)."- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the input. Today I got a new student permit from the
FSDO.

Not a big deal.

Thanks
Old August 14th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 9, 9:27*am, sid wrote:
Today I was informed by my medical examiner that the “Medical
Certificate” for 3rd class now expires after 60 months as opposed to
36 months for pilots under the age of 40 years at the time of
issuance.

I am trying to finish my VFR, but my student certificate expires after
24 months.
The examiner informs me that the next student certificate needs to be
issued by my instructor.

The examiner suggested I visit the FAA website to look up the current
regs, but the copy of the regs on the FAA site is like reading a
dictionary and I was unsuccessful at finding any information on this
subject.

Can anyone provide a link to this reg ? * *Does anyone have a comment
on the subject ?
The examiner stated that this reg change went into effect two weeks
ago.

Thanks

Yes, this is very important. You currently have a dual-purpose piece
of paper. 1) Its your 3rd class medical and 2) Its your student pilot
certificate. Although the medical is good for 3-5 years the student
pilot certificate is only good for 24 months!!!!!!

You cannot fly with a student pilot certificate older than 24 months.
However, there is a solution. You and your CFI fill out an 8710
(electronic or paper) and apply for a student pilot certificate. You
can either take it to the FSDO and have them hand you a new student
pilot certificate or you find any bored DE standing around waiting for
a checkride and he can write you one in 10 seconds (I've done that for
many of my students).

Please, don't make the mistake of thinking your student pilot
certificate is good for as long as your 3rd class medical.

CFR 61.19
(b) Student pilot certificate. A student pilot certificate expires 24
calendar months from the month in which it is issued.

-Robert, CFII
Old August 14th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 10, 2:35*pm, "BT" wrote:
yes... everyone needs a certificate of some sort.. and the back of the
student pilot certificate for Balloons, Gliders and now Light Sport have the
spaces for the instructors solo endorsements and 90 day reviews. That
certificate needs to be signed every 90 days by your CFI.

Make an appointment with the Flight Standards District Office in your area,
or a local DPE.
Bring the required ID and proof of health, for the Sport Pilot, that means a
valid drivers license.
Your CFI should know where to go... and don't let him send you to an AME
(Medical Dr) for it.

No proof of health is required. Just bring an 8710 application for a
student pilot certificate. There is no basis for its issuance so there
is no way for the FSDO or DE to deny it. When my students run into
this I'll usually just grab a DE who is waiting to do a checkride,
hand him the 8710 and he hands me the new temporary student pilot's
certificate. The transaction takes about 30 seconds. Why the FAA
requires this is beyond me.

-Robert, CFII

3rd Class Medical Slez via AviationKB.com Piloting 6 February 1st 07 07:21 PM
Class III Medical Flyingmonk Piloting 47 December 14th 05 09:08 PM
FAA 2nd class medical LB Piloting 17 October 1st 05 05:58 AM
Class III medical, Sport Pilot Medical, Crohn's disease [email protected] Piloting 3 August 15th 05 01:44 PM
Student Pilot Who Gets 5 Months for Lying on His Application for Medical [email protected] Home Built 2 June 30th 05 03:00 AM