Neil Lawson and Accident Investigation

Old August 12th 05, 11:26 PM
David Roberts

Default Neil Lawson and Accident Investigation

I have been upset by some of the exchange of 'views'
on this tragic accident. Many have already pointed
out that until the facts are known, it is dangerous
and irresponsible to speculate as to the cause(s).

I was not at Husbands Bosworth on Tuesday, but as BGA
Chairman I was phoned within a matter of minutes of
the accident, and I visited HB on Thursday - to host
a BGA VIP day which everyone agreed should go ahead,
not least because it was thought that that would be
what Neil would have wished. Our guests were unanimous
in their support and understanding.

The facts of this accident will be determined by the
UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch and their report
will be submitted in draft to myself acting on behalf
of the BGA, and considered by the BGA Executive Committee.
AAIB reports determine the facts. They do not apportion
blame, but they do make recommendations. Normally this
process takes a few months as there are witness statements
etc to consider and many other sources of the facts
before a report can be submitted.

I was at HB last Saturday (6th) and witnessed the finishes
on the first competition day. The competition organisation
had set a control point about 10km from the airfield
so that the final leg was in direct line with the E-W
runway. Without exception all pilots made a 'straight-in'
finish and landing without a pull up and circuit. The
airfield's only grass runway is about 1 mile long.
I was very impressed with the airmanship of all junior
pilots in their straight-in approaches, using the radio
to agree who was landing on which side when two or
more gliders were in close proximity. It was also noticeable
that the vast majority did not have excessive speed,
over and above that which is prudent when making a
final glide from many miles out and leaving enough
energy in hand to deal with a situation of possibly
not reaching the airfield in the last mile or two.
The maturity of the junior pilots' airmanship was in
contrast to some of the competitors at less elevated
contests I have attended over many years.

I have been informed, informally, that the same procedure
occurred on Tuesday, and that there were no 'beat-ups'.

Clearly I have more relevant information that is at
this stage privy to the investigation, and therefore
it is not appropriate to provide it in this forum.

So, PLEASE, restrain from speculation, and instead
pay tribute to a person who was a real gentleman, a
delight to know, and who was in my view one of the,
if not THE best photographers of our wonderful sport.
His legacy is the pictures he took and which encapsulate
the beauty of free flight. The loss of Neil has hit
the gliding community in the UK, and much further afield,
very severely. Our thoughts are with his family and
friends, as indeed they are with the pilot involved.

David Roberts
Chairman, British Gliding Association

Old August 13th 05, 07:11 AM
basils27

"David Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Out thoughts should also be with the pilot who while performing one of these
sensible straight in approaches, hit a 12ft high obstruction that had not
been there on the previous 2 days and now has to live with the consequenses.

Basil

Old August 13th 05, 10:12 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Anyone who would like to look for themselves at the airfield layout, the
position of the finish lines, and the tasking to the finishes; can do so by
looking at the Junior Worlds competition website.

Go to http://www.worldgliding2005.com/ , click on "tasks"
http://www.worldgliding2005.com/tasks.php , for the accident task click on
09.08.2005 Club http://www.worldgliding2005.com/tasks/club%204%20A.pdf ; or
click on "results & starts" 09.08.2005 Club
http://www.worldgliding2005.com/results.php , where the task is given at the
top of the score sheet.

For the airfield layout go to "documents and rules"
http://www.worldgliding2005.com/docs.php , click on "Airfield Layout"
http://www.worldgliding2005.com/docs...d%20Layout.pdf .

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"David Roberts"
wrote in message ...

I have been upset by some of the exchange of 'views'
on this tragic accident. Many have already pointed
out that until the facts are known, it is dangerous
and irresponsible to speculate as to the cause(s).

snip

Old August 13th 05, 11:10 PM
Don Johnstone

I agree entirely with the views expressed by Dave Roberts.
In addition this matter is being investigated by the
police both for HM Coroner and the Crown Prosecution
Service. The powers of the AAIB are insignificant when
compared with those of HM Coroner and it would be very
unwise to try and second guess the findings of his
court. You may feel that known 'facts' could be provided
by the release of information before the conclusion
of the investigation but this could not only be incomplete
but also unlawful. There is no alternative but to wait
for the conclusion of the legal processes.

I am also appalled by the insensitivity of some of
the postings when a very talented man has lost his
life doing something which has brought so much pleasure
to so many in the gliding fraternity and I hope that
his family and close friends do not ever read some
of the things that have been said. It is time to give
thanks for the life and work of Neil, not to pursue
personal agendas.

Old August 14th 05, 03:12 PM
Ruud

I was visiting Hus Bos on the second contest day.
I met Neil that morning and we talked for a while.
During the finishes I saw him standing near the finish line wearing a
high visibility vest.
I saw a few spectacular finishes like real life scenes from the video
UK-Smokin.
Several junior pilots flew their gliders at high speed below the
tree-line about one Km from the finish line, then pulled up over the
trees and the last part was flown just at a few inches above the
ground of a field that is not a part of the airfield.
Obviously this is normal practice and nobody received an official
warning.
I was very shocked when I heard that Neil was hit by a glider on
Tuesday. Such a waste of a wonderful person!
I think that a spectacular finish is not worth the life of any person.
The way finishes are sometimes performed and allowed at Hus Bos is
IMHO a contributing factor to this very tragic accident.
My sincere condolences to Neil's family and close friends.

Ruud.
Old August 14th 05, 06:27 PM
Don Johnstone

Ruud

If you have evidence which you feel is pertinent to
the incident as Husbands Bosworth then this should
be communicated to Leicestershire Constabulary who
are charged with the investigation on behalf of HM
Coroner. I would respectfully suggest that this forum
is not the place for an allegation which could be interpreted
as an accusation of negligence with respect to an incident
which is subject to an ongoing investigation.

I think you need to think very carefully about your
motivation in making the statement you have and the
possible effects. Your humble opinion may be cogent
but I say again that now may not the time to express
such opinions on a public forum. I do not dispute your
right to voice your opinion but perhaps you should
consider what the wishes of Neil might have been and
what the wishes of his family and friends might be
in these tragic circumstances.

Old August 15th 05, 02:06 PM
Ian Johnston

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:27:38 UTC, Don Johnstone
wrote:

: but perhaps you should
: consider what the wishes of Neil might have been

Hmm. That's all very well to say, but I bet he would rather not have
been hit by a glider.

Ian

Old August 15th 05, 03:47 PM
Ruud

Don,
I'm not doing any allegations in my posting.
An accident always has a chain of events leading to it.
You can't simply pinpoint one of the links in the chain as *the* cause
of this tragic accident.

My thoughts are also with the pilot who was involved.
It must have been a terrible schocking experience for him and I hope
he's getting lots of help and support from his team and BGA.
He was only one of the links in the chain of events.

Ruud.