Prescription Lenses (sorta OT)

Old January 3rd 05, 03:05 PM
Juan Jimenez

All of the chain store eyeglass stores have optometrists that will charge
you at most $25-$40 for an eye exam to update the prescription. You can then
tell them you want the cheapest set of glasses in the store, which last time
I checked at a few places was not over $60-$75. You can also buy them
offshore but you will still have to get the optometrists to issue a recent
prescription.

You could also try going to the chain store and asking them if they can
polish and try to repair the original lenses.

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
There, that makes this post on-topic.

I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every

time,
hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular glasses
in
my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while on the
road
and have to use the glasses.

As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through

turbulence,
those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.

I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't

see
paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous

price
for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.

I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore

eyeglass
supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a
prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing

like
glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?

Anybody?

Jim