Hinge gap tape

Old April 19th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

Default Hinge gap tape

I'm looking for suggestions for taping the hinge side gap of a Grob. I
typically un-tape for the annual inspection of condition, clean, then
re-tape. There is very little movement at the hinge. In the past, I
used Tesa brand Tissu tape that Wings and Wheels sells (about 2/3 of
the way down this page) http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm
I have used Blenderm tape as well, but haven't found any solvent that
will remove the adhesive residue from the Blenderm. I'm still trying
to get it off one of the club ships!
Any suggestions for a different tape, or a solvent that will remove
the Blenderm adhesive residue? I've tried the usual: 3M General
Adhesive cleaner, Goo Gone, Goof Off, Xylene, Naptha.
Old April 19th 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

On Apr 19, 8:10*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for taping the hinge side gap of a Grob. I
typically un-tape for the annual inspection of condition, clean, then
re-tape. *There is very little movement at the hinge. *In the past, I
used Tesa brand Tissu tape that Wings and Wheels sells (about 2/3 of
the way down this page)http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm
I have used Blenderm tape as well, but haven't found any solvent that
will remove the adhesive residue from the Blenderm. *I'm still trying
to get it off one of the club ships!
Any suggestions for a different tape, or a solvent that will remove
the Blenderm adhesive residue? *I've tried the usual: 3M General
Adhesive cleaner, Goo Gone, Goof Off, Xylene, Naptha.

I've been using Dacron Sail repair tape for many years on the Nimbus
tip Spoilers and the Hinge line on Landing Gear doors. I've never
had any problem cleaning off the residue. Great Stuff. I've
attached a link to West Marine

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs... assNum=10217

Old April 19th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Apr 19, 8:58*am, Paul Cordell wrote:
[...]

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...ductDisplay?pr...

That looks great! I'm going to try some. I like that they sell a
small quantity. Fifteen feet will do my (enormous!) horizontal stab
to elevetor joint, and my vertical to rudder, with just a little
leftover. Three inches is a bit wide, but I should be able to make a
splitter to get two 1 1/2" wide rolls out of it.
Old April 19th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Other thoughts - I had some type of tape on my ailerons when I bought
my glider that seemed to be like this "sail" tape. The problem I had
with it was that it buckled out at full aileron deflection. I assume
that it might mess with my airflow and aileron effectiveness (no
scientific reason, just my thinking). So I replaced it with mylar
seals from http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm.

I am planning on using the "sail" tape on my gear doors. It doesn't
matter if it buckles when the gear is down and will be flat when the
doors are closed.

Thanks.
Old April 20th 11, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

"ContestID67" wrote in message
Other thoughts - I had some type of tape on my ailerons when I bought
my glider that seemed to be like this "sail" tape. The problem I had
with it was that it buckled out at full aileron deflection. I assume
that it might mess with my airflow and aileron effectiveness (no
scientific reason, just my thinking). So I replaced it with mylar
seals from http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm.

I am planning on using the "sail" tape on my gear doors. It doesn't
matter if it buckles when the gear is down and will be flat when the
doors are closed.

Thanks.

Have you tried acetone for tape residue removal?

"hinge stock"? Michael Horowitz Home Built 1 October 5th 05 04:16 AM
STuck piano hinge pin Dick Restoration 2 September 19th 05 11:04 AM
Hinge pins for Pegasus AD tooromeo Soaring 0 May 17th 05 02:56 PM
Pegasus hinge pin AD to be amended [email protected] Soaring 3 May 12th 05 01:58 AM
Aluminum hinge VideoFlyer Home Built 2 May 11th 04 08:39 PM