Global Flyer Success

Old March 4th 05, 12:56 AM
Jan Nademlejnsky

Default Global Flyer Success

It is unbelievable achievement from those guys. Rutan is absolutely the best
engineer and unconventional dreamer. That's real engineering what he is
doing!

Congratulation to Steve for his remarkable success. I could not imagine to
be without sleep for so many hours with the jet engine screaming above your
head. I hope that Steve Fossett will stop now, because statistically he is
overdue to be killed in his risky adventures.

I was very disappointed with the Global Flyer website. The first day the GPS
coordinates were wrong, and it was almost impossible to access their site.
They posted very little information. I could get more info from CNN than
from their site. It took almost a day to mention anything about their fuel
problem.

The site was totally overloaded during the last few hours. Now 6 hours after
the touch down, there is still no update how it was during the final hours.
No pictures, clips, written text. I do not have access to CNN TV and the
local news show nothing.

Regardless, I hope the Rutan will live forever or that he is grooming
somebody as good as he is to continue in his unconventional designs.

Jan Nademlejnsky
http://members.shaw.ca/jannadem/home.htm

Old March 4th 05, 11:19 AM
Matt Whiting

Jan Nademlejnsky wrote:

It is unbelievable achievement from those guys. Rutan is absolutely the best
engineer and unconventional dreamer. That's real engineering what he is
doing!

Congratulation to Steve for his remarkable success. I could not imagine to
be without sleep for so many hours with the jet engine screaming above your
head. I hope that Steve Fossett will stop now, because statistically he is
overdue to be killed in his risky adventures.

Not another statistics thread. :-)

Actually, he is no more likely now than before and I'd venture even less
likely. He's shown the skill to handle dangerous missions so that
probably lessens his odds of hitting troubel.

Yes, it was a magnificient achievement for all involved.

Matt
Old March 4th 05, 01:11 PM
dpilot

He just did the world's largest outside loop

dpilot

Matt Whiting wrote:
Jan Nademlejnsky wrote:

Matt

Old March 4th 05, 02:27 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:56:41 GMT, "Jan Nademlejnsky"
wrote:

I was very disappointed with the Global Flyer website. The first day the GPS
coordinates were wrong, and it was almost impossible to access their site.
They posted very little information. I could get more info from CNN than
from their site. It took almost a day to mention anything about their fuel
problem.

I gave up watching it on the Virgin Global Flyer website and went to
MSNBC where they had live coverage of the landing.

The airfield had been shut down while Steve was approaching, but he
was delayed while he dealt with a landing gear problem: his nose gear
would not show a green light.

He flew around outside the airport for about 45 extra minutes while he
tried to get three greens. The chase plane was informing him of
various leaks from the nose gear compartment and eventually
recommended he stop playing with the gear. About that time he
reported that he now had three greens and was ready to bring it in.

He was immediately cleared to land and flew an extended base leg for
the final approach. When he turned final, one of the pilots who was
holding for when the airport would be re-opened asked about him and
was told: "Global flyer 101 is on final". Whereupon the holding pilot
congratulated Fossett on the approach frequency. That opened a minor
floodgate of congratulatory, but brief calls, maybe six or eight in
total.

When he touched down, I was struck by how negative an attack the
airplane assumed when riding on all three landing gear. I can only
guess at the reasons, but seeing ahead out of the tiny bubble might be
one, the other might be to make SURE the airplane stays on the ground
once it touches down.

Corky Scott
Old March 4th 05, 11:13 PM
Rich Ahrens

Corky Scott wrote:
He was immediately cleared to land and flew an extended base leg for
the final approach. When he turned final, one of the pilots who was
holding for when the airport would be re-opened asked about him and
was told: "Global flyer 101 is on final". Whereupon the holding pilot
congratulated Fossett on the approach frequency. That opened a minor
floodgate of congratulatory, but brief calls, maybe six or eight in
total.

Did you hear the one anonymous call that said, "Fossett, you're a stud."?
Old March 4th 05, 11:44 PM
Blueskies

"Corky Scott" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:56:41 GMT, "Jan Nademlejnsky"
wrote:

snip
When he touched down, I was struck by how negative an attack the
airplane assumed when riding on all three landing gear. I can only
guess at the reasons, but seeing ahead out of the tiny bubble might be
one, the other might be to make SURE the airplane stays on the ground
once it touches down.

Corky Scott

I imagine that the light weight at landing did not compress the main gear struts nearly as much as the heavy weight at
takeoff, thus the nose down attitude...

Old March 5th 05, 02:04 AM

I imagine that the light weight at landing did not compress the main
gear struts nearly as much as the heavy weight at
takeoff, thus the nose down attitude...

Anybody heard how much fuel he had left when he landed? The world wants
to know.

David Johnson

Old March 8th 05, 01:00 AM
Dan Nafe

In article ,
Matt Whiting wrote:

Yes, it was a magnificient achievement for all involved.

Is it safe to say that there are no more distance records to be broken?

;-
Old March 8th 05, 01:14 AM
Montblack

("Dan Nafe" wrote)
Is it safe to say that there are no more distance records to be broken?

Manned Earth orbit - private company

(Solar powered) around the globe.

Montblack