Instrument training

Old May 19th 05, 03:24 PM
John Gaquin

"xxx" wrote in message

I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Fun is what you make of it. It's hard at the start. If it were easy,
everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it worthwhile.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

Just quit. If you really have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand the
reply.

Old May 20th 05, 01:19 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"John Gaquin" wrote in
:

"xxx" wrote in message

I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Fun is what you make of it. It's hard at the start. If it were easy,
everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it worthwhile.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

Just quit. If you really have to ask, you probably wouldn't
understand the reply.

It is certainly a valid question when you are spending thousands of dollars
to stare at a bunch of dials and needles. When you are new, you may not
know enough about it to realize the full potential of an IR. Think of it as
working out at the gym. When you are starting new, all you get is aches and
pains. When you get past that, you will start seeing the benefits of good
health.

As the other poster said, fun is what you make of it. Working out at the
gym is certainly not fun at first. But once you realize its value, and take
it on as a challenge, it will start to become fun.

Old May 20th 05, 05:35 AM
Grumman-581

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
When you are starting new, all you get is aches and
pains. When you get past that, you will start seeing the
benefits of good health.

Good health is just the slowest way of dying... Same destination as the
people with crappy health, you just get there later... Assuming you don't
get run over by a soccer mom driving, talking on her cell phone, and doing
her makeup all at the same time...

Old May 19th 05, 04:15 PM

xxx,
One major source of instrument training stress could come from the
instructor. If he/she expects too much from you, add new things when
you have not become proficient with basic instrument flying skills,
oblivious to your stress level etc. try another instructor.

Old May 19th 05, 04:35 PM
Casey Wilson

"xxx" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

So quit.... I doubt anyone is holding a gun to your head.

Old May 19th 05, 06:02 PM
Ross Richardson

Casey Wilson wrote:

"xxx" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

So quit.... I doubt anyone is holding a gun to your head.

The early part is basics and not as much fun. But as you learn to keep
the plane level, climbing and decending turns, timed turns, approaches,
all without ever looking out can be rewarding. Flying a couple of hours
and when you get to the airport it is right where it should be. You have
to know where you are at all times. I always have this mental picture of
me looking down at my plane all in the scheme of things.

--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old May 19th 05, 04:41 PM
Peter R.

xxx wrote:

I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

Sometimes fundamentals are not always the most enjoyable part of
training, but rather how the fundamentals are used as part of the
greater skill. However, if you cannot see the importance of this part
of the training, either you or your instructor needs to change.

What convinced you to start instrument training, anyhow?

--
Peter

Old May 19th 05, 04:42 PM
Mark Hansen

On 5/19/2005 6:53 AM, xxx wrote:

I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

This is an interesting post... I'm guessing you want to be
prodded a bit, so I'll bite. Why do you find it less than
fun?

I'm currently working on my Instrument Rating and the FAA Knowledge
Test at the same time, so I'm pretty much busy all the time. However,
it's been quite fun. I agree with other than your instructor can have
a lot to do with how much you enjoy the training. Mine goes a little
overboard trying to make it fun, but I've learned to live with that ;-)

How are you doing with various Attitude Instrument Flying skills? For
example, are you comfortable flying under the hood? Are you able to
maintain a reasonable instrument scan? Do you feel like the airplane
just won't remain under control?

Each step is built on the assumption that the previous steps are
successful. If, for example, you were not able to maintain heading
or altitude, it would be really hard to begin working on VOR interception
and tracking tasks, etc.

Sit down with your instructor and ask what tasks he believes you
are able to perform proficiently. It may be that he's unaware of
the difficulty you're having, and is just 'moving on' before you're
ready to do so.

Now ... if you want to talk about the knowledge test - I'm at that
"this is just not fun" stage ;-)

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old May 19th 05, 05:13 PM
Guillermo

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 5/19/2005 6:53 AM, xxx wrote:

Now ... if you want to talk about the knowledge test - I'm at that
"this is just not fun" stage ;-)

KNowledge test is teh ugliest part of instrument training.
Especially because IT IS NOT flying.

Old May 19th 05, 05:09 PM
David Cartwright

"xxx" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Who said training had to be fun? Instrument training is damned hard work,
not least because just as you got the hang of this flying lark and started
to be able to relax a little bit, some idiot came along, stopped you looking
out of the windows, gave you a shedload of knobs and dials to understand,
stuffed the aircraft into a ridiculous attitude, and said: "Get out of that
without killing us both". The point is your next question.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

Because once you're certificated to do it, you can do proper flying, and in
fact most of it won't happen in cloud. There's nothing worse than bumbling
about in the clouds, and you'll want to do it as little as possible.
Instrument certification gives you the ability to go and play on top where
the sun always shines, to be confident on days when the weather report says
something other than CAVOK, to navigate without having to constantly look
out of the window, try to identify what you're flying over and see if you've
been blown off track, and so on. Who cares if you never have to do an ILS
approach down to minima - it's just great being able to potter back home
from somewhere at 5000' in almost empty sky, then amble down through the
clouds and pop out at 2,000 feet for a conventional visual approach.

D.